Stay at Home Moms
Options

Whining - What do you do?

How do you handle your kids whining. Sometimes I say " we shouldn't wine" and I don't think that's the right approach! Should I just ignore it and wait until he calms down? I know that whining is normal for a 3 year old to go through as a phase but I really want to ensure I handle it the right way.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Whining - What do you do?

• Options
    I tell DS that I can't understand him and that if he wants to talk to me he can figure out a better way to do it. That's my approach to whining/yelling/crying/demanding. I find with DS at he typically starts to,whine a lot of he's hungry and/or bored. So if my first approach doesn't work then I get him a snack and get him involved with an activity

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    When my students would whine at me I'd always say "would you like some cheese with that whine?" It entertained me at least. ;) Sorry, that's a less than helpful answer for toddlers....I think QueSyrah had some good ideas! Also, rather than saying "we shouldn't whine" maybe just model the way you'd like him to ask for something....give him a "script" as it were, and then insist that he use it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When my students would whine at me I'd always say "would you like some cheese with that whine?" It entertained me at least. ;) Sorry, that's a less than helpful answer for toddlers....I think QueSyrah had some good ideas! Also, rather than saying "we shouldn't whine" maybe just model the way you'd like him to ask for something....give him a "script" as it were, and then insist that he use it.

Yes. Modeling works good too. Like DS has been going through a phase where he just demands stuff. He'll look at me and say "thirsty." So I respond with "mommy may I please have a drink?" And he'll repeat it after which i get him a drink. Slowly but surely he's going back to speaking like a decent human being ;)

• Options
    I used to tell DS1 "DS, you're whining and I cant understand you. When you're ready to speak to me properly, come back and try again", or something along those lines.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    CnAmom said:
    So it's not a good idea to whine louder than them until they stop whining and dissolve into fits of giggles?
    I may or may not have already imitated a tantrum or two (and LOs are only 13 months....it's gonna be a long next couple years....) LOs looked first looked at me funny, and then cracked up:)
  • Options
    CnAmom said:

So it's not a good idea to whine louder than them until they stop whining and dissolve into fits of giggles?

I do this when saying i can't understand doesn't work. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"