November 2013 Moms
Options

UO

I want to hear REAL unpopular opinions not "I hate sticks in the road" so 50 people can agree with you. Let us know how you REALLY feel.
BLAD reppin'

Re: UO

• Options
    michelleh0385michelleh0385 member
    edited January 2014
    I hate when people put signs or posters of quotes/sayings/bible verses all over their house. My MIL's house is full of them and I feel like I'm constantly reading something. My brain can't relax like it would if I were to just look at a picture.

Feb Siggy Challenge

If you were a cookie, 
you'd be a whoreo.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

@michelleh0385 I live in WA and right on the main freeway there is someone who advertises their Christian signs you can buy with a GIANT sign that proclaims: "The wages of sin is death!" It's one of my many kooky WA landmarks that's been there for years and I always joke to DH that we should get one of those signs and put it in our yard which is so small it'd literally span our whole front lawn.

My UOs: 1) I can't freaking stand John Mayer and think he is a giant pussy man-whore.

2) I love the winter Olympics. No one seems to care but me that they are starting but I'm a sucker for all the drama of the Olympics. I will watch it as much as I can the two weeks it is on--even the obscure crap like curling.

3) This somewhat stems from the epic "Tell me about being a MOH across the country 2-weeks after my due date" thread, but I think people make too big of a deal about weddings and they are overrated. I could have never gotten into The Knot, because I simply didn't care. Of course getting married was a major life event for me, but I just don't give a shit about things like perfectly coordinately colors and place settings. I've seen people react with horror about people having 6 month engagements because "there's no way you can plan a wedding in that amount of time!" DH and I were engaged for 3 months, the wedding was in my parents backyard, a friend officiated, my aunt made the cake (I didn't taste test or look at it ahead of time), acquaintances did the flowers and photos, and we *gasp* grilled food from Costco for the meal. There were about 35 people there. I don't care how close someone may be to someone else, but I really don't get travelling far for just a wedding if there's nothing else you'd do on the trip.

your wedding sounds perfect actually <3
    BLAD reppin'

• Options
    katie.725 said:
    I am terribly nervous about Isaac starting daycare, but I don't feel bad at all about going back to work... mommy needs adult human interaction 
    This was me. I actually felt guilty for being ready to go back to work and didn't cry at all. I've really only had one hard day and I faked sick to go home and cuddle with LO. Other than that, it's been really nice having adult conversations and peeing alone. 

One thing that pisses me off though, is that I feel like you're made out to be a bad mom if you're "ready and willing" to go back to work. 
  • Options
    katie.725katie.725 member
    edited January 2014
    CaitS07 said:

katie.725 said:

I am terribly nervous about Isaac starting daycare, but I don't feel bad at all about going back to work... mommy needs adult human interaction 

This was me. I actually felt guilty for being ready to go back to work and didn't cry at all. I've really only had one hard day and I faked sick to go home and cuddle with LO. Other than that, it's been really nice having adult conversations and peeing alone. 

One thing that pisses me off though, is that I feel like you're made out to be a bad mom if you're "ready and willing" to go back to work. 

I have been told "too bad about you having to go back to work" by people.. well its something that is mine and I worked had for..its so crappy that she said that to me...I respect SAHMs I couldn't do it that I know...
    eta:auto-correct
  • Options
    I think most critically acclaimed movies suck.  Give me romantic comedy or action movie that was probably found on the rotten tomatoes site and I'm happy.

• Options
    I am a clothes snob about what my children wear and I despise hand me downs. I won't shop certain places or put them in certain brands because I do not think highly of them. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I hate wine all together. I've yet to find one that doesn't taste like crap.. And my sister in law is OBSESSED with finding one ill like.. Well she's been trying for 6 years. No go.
  • Options
    nciesla said:
    TaviaBrad said:
    I am a clothes snob about what my children wear and I despise hand me downs. I won't shop certain places or put them in certain brands because I do not think highly of them. 
    Seriously?

Winner of most vapid UO.

LOL. That's why it is an unpopular opinion. So you thinking that is valid based upon what I said. It boils down to personal preference.

imageimageimage
  • Options

I love Sea World. They are great.

Fact: blackfish is propaganda. Watched it and people are stupid for falling for it. Shame on cnn.

Yes! Its biased and they definitely had an agenda. Seriously people swear if they see it on tv or read it in the internet - NO! You see and hear whatever "they" want you to. I've been to sea world twice since seeing the movie. Will continue to go. Sorry, not sorry!

My UO: I'm getting LO's ears pierced by my pediatrician tomorrow - not because it's part of my culture, simply because she's my daughter and I want them. Same reason if/when I have a son, DH will want him circumcised and I won't object. I have enjoyed watching everyone fight over it for the last week or so.
  • Options
    TaviaBrad said:
    Just curious about what brands you put your kids in and what you look down on.  Humor me.

If you thought I "look down upon" certain brands I apologize if it came across that way. I do not think highly of certain stores because I do not think they have very good products and a lot of it comes from I never shopped there or was shopped for there growing up. If however, others want to dress their children in that stuff that is fine, it is just personal preference.

To answer your question most of their stuff is Gymboree, Janie and Jack, Ralph Lauren, Juicy Couture (for my daughter), Carters and Koala Kids/Baby and brands that Nordstrom carries. I got a few things in there from Target that I find now and then. Circo or Cherokee Brand. Usually if my parents send them clothes we get a lot of Baby Gap, Ralph Lauren and Gymboree.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    michelleh0385michelleh0385 member
    edited January 2014

I don't like any wine.

::Braces self for angry mob.::

Oh man me too! I'll drink a glass of moscato occasionally but only because I don't want all of the calories that's in a glorious margarita! I don't like beer either. At all.

Feb Siggy Challenge

If you were a cookie, 
you'd be a whoreo.

• Options

I love Sea World. They are great.

Fact: blackfish is propaganda. Watched it and people are stupid for falling for it. Shame on cnn.

I haven't seen Blackfish; I did watch The Cove and it really upset me. Have you seen it and are they similar?

• Options
    CaitS07 said:
    TaviaBrad said:
    Totally judging this. My brother was like that growing up and it made it very difficult on my parents. To this day, god love him, he'd rather be in debt than not be able to keep up with Joneses.

Everyone's situation is different. I feel when it is a keeping up with the Joneses mentality that is when it can get someone in trouble. For me it is not about that. I grew up on certain brands and certain places I enjoyed to shop and I continued that once I had my kids because I like the stuff. My mom actually told me about Janie and Jack and I like it more for girl stuff than boys. It is just what I am used to. I can see where it would be hard on someone when the mentality is to keep up with somebody. I also feel that just because someone shops a certain place, does not necessarily mean they are trying to keep up with anybody. They may just like the store, clothing or they grew up on that when they were younger.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    TaviaBrad said:

So what brands do you refuse to put your children in? What makes you think highly of some brands and not others?
    IMO the brands you listed are all over the place price wise. You go from target brand and Carter's to Juicy, Janie and Jack and Gap. There's a pretty big difference there.

Feb Siggy Challenge

If you were a cookie, 
you'd be a whoreo.

• Options

I don't like any wine.

::Braces self for angry mob.::

I'm with you!
  • Options
    barista411barista411 member
    edited January 2014
    nciesla said:

TaviaBrad said:

CaitS07 said:

TaviaBrad said:

Totally judging this. My brother was like that growing up and it made it very difficult on my parents. To this day, god love him, he'd rather be in debt than not be able to keep up with Joneses.

Everyone's situation is different. I feel when it is a keeping up with the Joneses mentality that is when it can get someone in trouble. For me it is not about that. I grew up on certain brands and certain places I enjoyed to shop and I continued that once I had my kids because I like the stuff. My mom actually told me about Janie and Jack and I like it more for girl stuff than boys. It is just what I am used to. I can see where it would be hard on someone when the mentality is to keep up with somebody. I also feel that just because someone shops a certain place, does not necessarily mean they are trying to keep up with anybody. They may just like the store, clothing or they grew up on that when they were younger.

So...what if the hand me downs are gently used and Juicy or Gap or Carters...what's the rationale there behind not liking HMD's?

That would be my question. I buy all of my kids clothes from consignment shops. I am really picky about which brands I buy. I mainly buy brands like gap and Ralph Lauren are just because they are made better and hold up. I do tend to like those too but I just don't understand the point of paying those prices. DS has already gone through 3 sizes clothes and hasn't been in one size for more than 3 weeks so most of his clothes have only been worn once. Not to mention the fact that it would make me sick if an outfit was ruined that I spent a lot of money on.
  • Options
    nciesla said:
    TaviaBrad said:
    CaitS07 said:
    TaviaBrad said:

So...what if the hand me downs are gently used and Juicy or Gap or Carters...what's the rationale there behind not liking HMD's?

I think that if it was gently used as in it looks close to new I would consider it, however, I do not like hand me downs because of a few things:

1) The fact someone else's child already wore it. Each child is shaped differently, so sometimes hand me downs do not fit properly or do not look right on a child because they have already been stretched, washed or worn to a different body. I like to put stuff on my kids knowing it fits them how it should fit and it doesn't look too baggy, too tight or uncomfortable for them.

2) My mentality is just because they are a baby doesn't mean they shouldn't have new clothes of their own. Babies grow out of things and such, but that does not mean I shouldn't buy them stuff because they will grow out of it in a few months.
    3) I never grew up on hand me downs. I have an older sister, and I never wore any of her stuff that she grew out of. As I got older I did not want to because I wanted to feel like I had my own stuff. It is the same with this. A hand me down,I feel, is not something specially purchased for them.

Those are my main reasons, but I think over all it stems from the fact I did not grow up wearing hand me downs and I liked having stuff I felt was just for me. I wanted to do the same for my kids.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    @taviabrad, Juicy is still around?! Is this 2000? I'm so confused.

Yeah it is and the market for it has actually grown. I used to work at a place that sold juicy couture, tru religion, etc, and there is still a demand for it. The demand has grown for toddlers and children so it is still being made.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    TaviaBrad said:
    CaitS07 said:
    TaviaBrad said:

________________________ That would be my question. I buy all of my kids clothes from consignment shops. I am really picky about which brands I buy. I mainly buy brands like gap and Ralph Lauren are just because they are made better and hold up. I do tend to like those too but I just don't understand the point of paying those prices. DS has already gone through 3 sizes clothes and hasn't been in one size for more than 3 weeks so most of his clothes have only been worn once. Not to mention the fact that it would make me sick if an outfit was ruined that I spent a lot of money on.

You do not have to pay full price for brands like Ralph Lauren. If you go to TJMaxx or Marshalls you can get most of that stuff for 1/2 to 2/3 of the price most of the time. You can get Baby Gap items on sale or go to the sales they have sometimes where stuff is "9.99 and under". So there are ways to get a lot of that stuff discounted in new condition.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I buy brands that I think are nicer and hold up because I'm saving everything for future children. I buy 80% second hand (I could kiss whoever started "once upon a child" ) but I buy the brands that have a reputation for washing up nicely, easy to remove stains from and are adorable on my boy. ( : I do agree some things have an odd shape from the previous owner. My friend gave me all her sons clothes. Well he was 10 lbs at birth. Matthew was 7 lbs 5 oz. the onesies she gave me were very stretched out because her son was so big but those are onesies I put on under sleepers and for lounging around the house.

• Options
    @hotdiggitydog - I couldn't agree more with you.  I'm so looking forward to enjoy some glasses of wine with my friends again!  But for now, the idea of having more than a glass or two seems like an awful idea knowing I'll get woken up in the middle of the night by a crying baby!
  • Options
    I buy brands that I think are nicer and hold up because I'm saving everything for future children. I buy 80% second hand (I could kiss whoever started "once upon a child" ) but I buy the brands that have a reputation for washing up nicely, easy to remove stains from and are adorable on my boy. ( : I do agree some things have an odd shape from the previous owner. My friend gave me all her sons clothes. Well he was 10 lbs at birth. Matthew was 7 lbs 5 oz. the onesies she gave me were very stretched out because her son was so big but those are onesies I put on under sleepers and for lounging around the house.

I agree with this. The last thing you want is for it to not fit correctly and your child be uncomfortable.

Have you ever tried the brand baby koala/koala kids? Babies R Us sells it. Their stuff is VERY good quality and is not expensive. A lot of their stuff you can find between 8-20 dollars. They make it for boys and girls. It also will not shrink up much and I have never had any of the dye from the fabrics bleed.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    TaviaBrad said:

nciesla said:

TaviaBrad said:

CaitS07 said:

TaviaBrad said:

That would be my question. I buy all of my kids clothes from consignment shops. I am really picky about which brands I buy. I mainly buy brands like gap and Ralph Lauren are just because they are made better and hold up. I do tend to like those too but I just don't understand the point of paying those prices. DS has already gone through 3 sizes clothes and hasn't been in one size for more than 3 weeks so most of his clothes have only been worn once. Not to mention the fact that it would make me sick if an outfit was ruined that I spent a lot of money on.

You do not have to pay full price for brands like Ralph Lauren. If you go to TJMaxx or Marshalls you can get most of that stuff for 1/2 to 2/3 of the price most of the time. You can get Baby Gap items on sale or go to the sales they have sometimes where stuff is "9.99 and under". So there are ways to get a lot of that stuff discounted in new condition.

But why would I pay that much when I can go to Once Upon a Child and get it for even less. They just had a dollar sale and I stocked up on tons of name brand clothes for both of my kids and spent 1/10 of what I would have had to pay at TJ Maxx and most of it looks brand new. Most consignment shop will only accept clothes that look almost brand new.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"