Stay at Home Moms

Volunteer

What do you do to volunteer?

I volunteer in my son's kindergarten class for an hour per week, in the school's library for an hour per week, and I am one of the mentors for our church's middle school students.

I enjoy doing those things and the time commitment is minimal: 3-4 hours per week.

Re: Volunteer

• I don't have so much extra time to volunteer right now.  When DD starts preschool I will likely start working with the meals on wheels program in my area.  Also I am looking into serving 1 morning at the local salvation army restaurant.
    Because I don't have time I do other things. 
    We adopt soldiers and send them notes/care packages etc and I donate a ton of toiletries that I get from couponing to different homeless shelters in the area.

{I don't know what is going on with the font...}

Check out my blog ---->  http://minismama.com/
  • I am at DDs school a lot. When I am not there I volunteer at a teen pregnancy center mentoring teen moms. I also just started volunteering for a local political campaign. I used to rock nicu babies but they are phasing that out and I mentally couldn't do it while pregnant anyway.
  • Loading the player...
  • Right now, nothing because ds is little and I don't have consistent childcare. When he's older, I plan to volunteer at our local pregnancy resource center and be a class mom at least once a week.

**Nestie Besties with Deutschefairy**

Diagnosed PCOS '03, TTC #1 Since March '09
    BFP - 10/20/10, M/C - 10/29/10
    June 2011 - 50mg Clomid = No O
    Dieted and exercised my butt off for PCOS = BFP 5/7/2012
    Due 12/29/2012
  • I make chemo caps, scarves, bereavement packages and blankets for area hospitals with my Yarns group. We also teach knitting to a group of kids at a lower income school and Girl Scouts.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Now that I've had to list it out, it's A LOT!

PTA Treasurer
    PTA Go Green Co-Chair
    PTA Hospitality Chair
    Late slip writer in the office on Wednesdays
    GRIN reading group leader on Thursdays in the classroom
    Aiding in Teacher Appreciation lunch for 2nd grade classes next month
    Girl Scout Troop Treasurer, 2nd year in a row
    Girl Scout Troop Halloween Party Coordinator and Meeting Lead

About 15 hours a week. But I love it all :)

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• bhuffmanbhuffman member
    edited January 2014
    Andrewsgal: out of pure curiosity, why are Nicu rockers being phased out?

• bhuffman said:

Andrewsgal: out of pure curiosity, why are Nicu rockers being phased out?

Honestly not sure? I cut back when I was pregnant and ran into another volunteer who told me.
  • I volunteer in DS's class one hour a week and DD's class two hours a week. I am the chair for the school clinic and volunteer one full day or two half days a week plus do the paperwork. Our PTA and the American Red Cross team up to provide parent volunteers in the clinic who can provide basic first aid because we do not have a full time nurse. I also am on the list for filling in as the receptionist at our local Red Cross office which is a volunteer position. I have not been called to do it yet though. I also volunteer as the leader of our nursery program at church which includes teaching a class as well as making sure all classes are covered. I have a friend who volunteers at the local children's hospital and I think I may start doing that as well.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I've been volunteering for my hospital's parenting program for nearly two years. I'm on "hiatus" right now and volunteering two days a week at DS's school for about an hour a day.

• Kimbus22 said:
    I got nothing.  This goes back to my laziness.

When people call asking for money I give it to them though. I will throw money at anything before I will take time out of my life to actively participate in something.  I'm learning to accept that about myself.
    @kimbus22 - I love this. Volunteering comes in all form, not just your time nor your talents. :)

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• Room parent for both my children's classes, vice president of their elementary school's pto, on the school council at the high school where I teach. I also teach a parenting class one night a week, which I get paid for, but very little!

• I'm in the women's auxiliary of our symphony and the local library. I volunteer at school however I can and I was in Jr. League until I quit this past summer. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"