Late Term and Child Loss

CHD

We got some terrible news today.... and we don't know what to do.

We have to option to terminate (I am currently 25 wks 5 days) or to have a very sick baby on our hands.... a lifetime or surgeries amongst other potential complications.

The fetal cardiologist we saw was excellent- he was honest and I appreciated that. We asked him prognosis- he said up to 75% of children with this defect may live into their early 20's - with a lifetime of hospital visits and is susceptible to all kinds of respiratory infections that could lead to weeks of stay in hospitals along with potentially being put on a ventilator. There is absolutely nothing optimistic about my baby's life- his quality of life would not be that great. He flat out told us- we will bury our child in our lifetime.

We have a 3 year old at home.... I am worried about her- neglecting her while I take care of her brother. I worry about the stress it will put on my relationship with my husband. I worry about that little baby and the struggles he will not deserve to go thru. I worry about delivering a baby that will die in my arms shortly after.

I am so broken and torn I don't know what to do. I can't stop crying. My life went from amazing to a f'n disaster.

And I really wish he would stop kicking me.

I know it is my decisions.... but If you were in my shoes, please tell me what you would do.

Thank you.

Re: CHD

• Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post in.
  • First I just want to say how sorry I am that you have to go through this. Second, I just want to hug you right now. I don't have any advice to give, just support and virtual hugs. Again I am so sorry.

• Loading the player...
  • jonahsma said:

First I just want to say how sorry I am that you have to go through this. Second, I just want to hug you right now. I don't have any advice to give, just support and virtual hugs. Again I am so sorry.

Thank you. This is by far thr worst thing I ever ever had to go thru in my life.

• I am sorry you are faced with this decision. No one can make it but you. ((hugs))

Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image image

My Blog

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP# 1 7/7/12 Beautiful DD born still at 36 weeks 5 days on 3/2/13
    Diagnosed with PCOS in 2005. Started Metformin July 2013

BFP # 2 8/7/14 EDD 4/22/15
    Please be our rainbow!!

**All AL Welcome**

• I am so sorry you have found yourself in this position.  I just sent you a private message.

((HUGS))

8/12-Suprise BFP- Sweet Bunny Born Sleeping 11/21/12 (19 weeks)

-5/7/13- MMC (8 Weeks)

11/6/13- BO discovered at 7 weeks- natural MC 11/25/13

8/14- Surpise IF dx...low AMH (.24)- moving on to IVF

IVF #1- 11/14- 6R5M4F=2 perfect frosties

12/19/14- FET of 2 embabies = BFP!!!  One Little Bean EDD: 9/3/15

Everyone Welcome.

• I am so sorry you are faced with this decision. My DH and I had to make the same one in November. We were told our son had multiple severe heart problems, as well as numerous other complications all stemming from trisomy 13. Though they couldn't be 100% sure of any outcomes, we discussed that he would have a very poor quality of life, if he survived birth at all. With considering all of that, plus our two year old daughter and how it would affect her and what we would take away from her while focusing on Micah, we did make the heartbreaking decision to terminate.
    It was the absolute worst decision we've ever faced and not a moment goes by that I wish the outcome could have been different, but we do know that the decision was right for Micah and for us.
    I did harbor a great deal of guilt immediately after, but I have found some peace al

Married August 20th, 2005 to the love of my life.

1st BFP August 6th, 2010. Missed MC discovered at 13 weeks. 

2nd BFP January 5th, 2011. Beautiful Harper born September 28th, 2011.

3rd BFP March 15th, 2013. Treated with methotrexate for ectopic pg at 7 weeks.

4th BFP August 2nd, 2013. Sweet Micah born sleeping at 21 weeks with full T13. 5th BFP July 1st, 2014. Praying for a healthy, full term rainbow!

• Ing the way.
    Feel free to PM me if you need support or have any questions.
    *hugs*

Married August 20th, 2005 to the love of my life.

1st BFP August 6th, 2010. Missed MC discovered at 13 weeks. 

2nd BFP January 5th, 2011. Beautiful Harper born September 28th, 2011.

3rd BFP March 15th, 2013. Treated with methotrexate for ectopic pg at 7 weeks.

4th BFP August 2nd, 2013. Sweet Micah born sleeping at 21 weeks with full T13. 5th BFP July 1st, 2014. Praying for a healthy, full term rainbow!

• ***Siggy warning***

I am so sorry you are even faced with this decision. I second kz's_girlygirl. Seek a lot of information and support, because whatever choice you make you will need it surrounding you. 

Lilypie - (qptF)

"Elsie Irene was born sleeping at 35w 6d on December 8, 2012. Mommy and Daddy miss you sweet girl."

• I am so sorry you have found yourself in this position.  I just sent you a private message.

((HUGS))

• I am so sorry that you are having to make this incredibly difficult decision. I also agree with kz's_girlygirl to take as much time as you need and get lots of information and support to help you make this decision. ((Hugs))
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Me: 32 DH: 33  High School Sweethearts  Married 5/28/2005
    DS1 born 6/5/10 at 40 weeks via emergency c-section due to fetal distress and IUGR caused by placental insufficiency
    DS2 born still 8/28/13 at 32 weeks via emergency c-section due to a complete placental abruption - cause unknown
    Baby #3 on the way, EDD 2/29/16.  Originally twins, but we said goodbye to Baby B at 8 weeks.
  • *siggy warning*

I am so very sorry you have to make this heartbreaking decision. I don't have any advice for you, but I hope you and your husband can come to a decision that will give you the most peace possible in this situation.

Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
  • We believe termination is the best option- pending approval from the ethics board due to how far along I am. 

Just Devastated.  
  • veetveet said:

We believe termination is the best option- pending approval from the ethics board due to how far along I am. 

Just Devastated.  
    So so very sorry.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
  • VyD81VyD81 member
    edited January 2014
    I so so sorry, I can't imagine how difficult it is for you right now. I agreed with @kz's_girlygirl, get as much support as you can.

My situation was different, the doctors could not give us a clear diagnose and the severity of his condition other than he had IUGR at 25 weeks and had a 50/50 chance of survival. I carried him till 29 weeks and he was still born. I don't know what I would do if I was given the option to terminate. 

Many hugs to you and your DH during this difficult time.
    Ticker id: ra2f

BFP #2, EDD 12/26/14, please be our rainbow.

• So many hugs to you. We lost our baby girl to a terminal diagnosis in late 2012 (it was a trisomy). It's so heartbreaking and something that no parent should ever have to experience. There are some groups specific to terminal diagnosis on Baby Center too for moms who made the heartbreaking choice and those who carried to term. You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers.
  • veetveet said:
    We believe termination is the best option- pending approval from the ethics board due to how far along I am. 

Just Devastated.  

I am so sorry I am keeping you in my prayers

• I am so sorry ((hugs))

TTC since 10/2010
    IUIs # 1-5 = BFFN
    IVF # 1(July 2012) = BFN
    IVF # 2 (November 2012) = BFP (MIssed MC D&C @ 8w3d on 1/10/13)
    IVF # 3 (June 2013) = BFN 
    IVF # 4 (September 2013) = BFP Fraternal twin boys! (Loss at 21w6d due to IC on 1/26/14...devastated.)
    3/21/14--TAC (transabdominal cerclage) w/Dr. Davis in NJ
    IVF # 5 (May 2014) = BFN
    FET (August 2014) = BFN

• I am so sorry about your son. It sounds like you have already decided what is best for you and your family. ((Hugs))

I agree finding a support group/counselor is important as you process this. My heart breaks for you.

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"