Stay at Home Moms

Probiotics for yeast rash

DS2 is on antibiotics and has a horrible, painful yeast diaper rash. The doctor gave us some barrier cream with Nystatin and zinc. I also just started giving him Culturelle. I'm hoping that helps shorten the lifespan of the rash. It says on the package when you have digestive problems you can take it up to 7 times a day, otherwise once a day. I was wondering if taking more would help more with the rash (if yeasty poop counts as digestive problems?) or if I should just stick with once a day.

Also, if you've given a probiotic powder to an EBF baby how did you give it? If I'm just doing one packet a day I can do it in a bottle, but I don't know if I end up giving more if I want to do several bottles. I read you can just make a paste and put it in the baby's mouth, but I'm pretty sure he'd spit it out. Any experience with this?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Probiotics for yeast rash

• I emptied the capsule into a bowl and dipped my pinky in water then the probiotic, then straight to her mouth and let her suck on my pinky. Our pedi told me to do that before every feeding.
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • I know this isn't what you're asking, but a warm baking soda bath will soothe the pain on his bum and also create an environment that will keep the yeast from thriving. Sorry you're struggling with this. DS1 gets them too. We also do a mixture of 1 part tea tree oil to 4 parts olive oil. I apply it a few times a day when he starts to get a rash. I find this usually works better/faster than what the doctor prescribes.

DS1 4.4.11. &  DS2 4.18.13
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks guys! It's so awful I'm looking for any ways to soothe him. I'll try the baking soda bath and tea tree oil too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"