September 2013 Moms
Options

S13 Advice Needed: My Assistant :(

Okay, so for those of you who are aware of my assistant issues, I need some advice.

So today, she FINALLY came in. Yay! Right? No.

So mid-afternoon I noticed she was in a “closed door” meeting with my boss. Well since is this is the first day she’s been in since last week (she was out of office Friday, Monday and Tuesday) I figured the meeting could be about 100 different things. However, on Friday when she let my boss know (not myself) that she’d be working from home I sent her an email (included my boss) and told her I could forward her office phones to her so she could be reachable. (which is a requirement via a “telework contract”) Well before she could respond I just went into her cube and forwarded phones. No big deal. Well she wrote back and said that she thinks she doesn’t need her phones, blah blah blah.

So she is in speaking with my boss, I walk passed the window and she looks pissed. No big deal. She’s in there for 40 min.s then 10 min.s after she is out I get this email asking “If I would have some time later this week to chat” and that “she’ll schedule a conference room” which is shop talk for “something personally serious”.
So I told her Friday afternoon would be fine, but now I am just struggling with how to approach this meeting. I want to be honest. I want to say that her inability to consistently commit to our team (whether it is showing up, getting your work done, or being available) has lead to a lot of actions in our department failing. I basically do not want to sugar coat anything but I also know if I lay it out straight it probably won’t go over well and she will get defensive.

I kind of also feel like my boss is hanging me out to dry and throwing me under the bus. I know she mentioned something to him about it and he had to have told her that it needed to be discussed with me, but I feel like a heads up would be nice. I also feel like he shouldn't act clueless to her behavior and expect me to handle it (I don't nearly make as much as I would if I was a supervisor in charge of other employee's behavior)

So any suggestions? Has anyone dealt with something like this before? Any advice?

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

Re: S13 Advice Needed: My Assistant :(

• Options
    According to the org chart, who does she report to?
    photo 86a9bed8-fe83-44f4-8233-6822762e6347_zpsc28c6977.jpg
  • Options
    Do you have supporting documents that show how little she's been at work since she came back from her leave?
    BFP #1 - Mango - 6/11/12, EDD 2/22/12 Natural MC 7/15/12
    BFP #2 - Nacho - 10/14/12, EDD 6/20/13, MMC 8 weeks, D&C 11/16/12
    All testing shows both H and I are perfectly normal. Baby Nacho had triploidy. 
    Back to normal business December 2012
    BFP #3 - Froggy - 1/15/13, EDD 9/27/13 TEAM GREEN
    It's a girl! Alice - Born 9/20/13, 8lbs 2oz

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

@GermanShredders:   My boss.

@ravenclaw1:   I do have documentation of how many days she hasn't been in the office and how her two primary tasks have not been fully completed since she has taken them on.

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

• Options
    @GermanShredders:   This is a great idea! When I say I can see her "status" it is through an online instant messanger service installed on all of our computers. So when she is working from home she is on a government laptop which has this program. The program pays attention to you key strokes and mouse movements and if there hasn't been any movements you go from green to yellow. When your computer in on "sleep" (i.e. not logged in or the laptop is shut) you're white. And then in proceeds to count how long you've been in that status. So if you're yellow at 4:00p for 6 hours I can assume her last keystroke was at 10:00a. Does that make sense?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    That does! That is a handy little program. And very useful for proving that she is doing jack shit all day when she is "working from home."

And don't feel bad about putting your boss on the spot. It is his job to handle this. You may have to force his hand by asking that your notes be placed in her record.

I went through this with someone who reported to me. It finally took me catching her hiding her Kindle under her keyboard and reading when she thought I couldn't see to get a warning for her. I wrote a DETAILED e-mail to my boss and his boss. A few days later, we had a meeting and she was given a written warning. Of course, she tried to blame me for not giving her enough "interesting" work to do. The work is the work. Do it or I will find one of the 120 other people who applied for that position and ask if one of them would like to do the work instead. One year later, she was finally "laid off" by a new boss that came in and finally listened to me.
    photo 86a9bed8-fe83-44f4-8233-6822762e6347_zpsc28c6977.jpg
  • Options

I say bring as much hard evidence as possible. That way it won't look like it's personal.

This.
    Also, use the word team with her so she knows she is letting a group of people down. Not just pissing a few people off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    fittest mom photo FITTEST-MOM_zps2351b4e2.gif
  • Options

@starscream:  It is the same program, ours is called Microsoft Lync. First, I think you're over estimating her intelligence or her ability to actually "fluff and hide" and act like she is working. But you are right, you can manually change you status. However we have 2 yellows, we have inactive (no computer strokes, can be "faked") and be right back (which is the manual option) If you are teleworking you're supposed to use you status to communicate to the rest of the staff and your not supposed to manually block out your time unless you are in an actual meeting. Plus most of the time she's "white" which is just that her computer is closed or sleeping. As you can tell I have spent a lot of time obessesing over this. Plus I match her status to her lack of emails. I am CC-ed on all emails so if you haven't sent an email in 4 hours while you're at home, but when you're in the office I get at least an email every 10 mins... I am pretty sure you're either not working. Or working on another "task", which is fine. Don't charge your time to my charge code and don't tell your boss that "conference management" (my department) is taking up all of your time.

@JLMcWeeney:  I'd love to say team but the other admin.s never stand up to her and say "listen we're covering for you left and right and you need to step it up." so that "team" thing will just start more than it will help. I think I am going to just stick to the simple facts, we don't have to get along... the work just needs to be done. And when John (my boss) and myself ask that the travel request list be brought down to zero each day... this needs to happen. And if this isn't possible then maybe we'll start to look into tasks that you can complete easier. I just want the work to get done, like we've asked.

• Options

I would write it all out and have a pre-meeting meeting with your boss tomorrow. It might be handy to have her job description to go point by point where she is not performing her tasks. Also, did you say you can see her Facebook status? If she is not making her status private and is doing things on days she is "sick", those screenshots should be shown as well.

I second having a premeeting with your boss. If she reports to him than he has to step up and handle this and correct her behaviour.She is clearly not doing her job which directly effects you and your job.
    I am having a situation at my work with my assistant as well. She is currently taking on half of my position while I am on maternity leave and I have been told that she is now on a serious power trip and is bringing down the morale of the whole office and treating everyone like shit. I spoke to my boss and it wasn't hard to get him talking about what's going on and I reminded him he needed to nip her attitude in the butt before it causes any more issues.

It sounds like your assistant is totally taking advantage of her job and she needs to be reminded that there are many other qualified people who im sure would love to take her place.
    Melissa (30) & Chris (30)
    BFP Oct 16, 2012 M/C Nov 10, 2012
    BFP Dec 31, 2012 EDD Sept 12, 2013

Brody was born on September 23, 2013 at 6.33am weighing 8lb 14oz.  
    Hes our angel... :)

• Options
    I work in healthcare and I know any time an employee is reprimanded we have a witness when that reprimand is handed down in our facility. I would have that meeting with her with your boss present. That way later on she can't go crying to everyone that things went down a certain way when they didn't. I think she's seriously taking her job for granted and she needs a reality check: shape up or ship out. Even people on FMLA can be fired. There are loopholes. Trust me, I know from personal experience unfortunately. Map out what she's done wrong, where she needs to improve and don't be afraid of her getting defensive. People only get really defensive when you're telling them the truth, I think. Good luck! :-)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Bring boxing gloves and bitch slap her Friday?!

lol on a serious note pre meeting with the boss and if you can get any evidence bring it. If you can can others to collaborate your story do it.

• Options

I am going to be in the meeting and be all "I have friends... online... and they'll get you!" ha ha ha.

No seriously though I am in love with the idea of a pre-meeting. However I am a little nervous because I am assuming that is what they were talking about in there (even though 10 min. later she sent me the carefully worded email). What if it wasn't? What if he plays dumb and is like "I don't know what you're talking about?"

Also, we have these "HR assistants" that report to each group, so for example Finance, my group, has our own HR rep. Well I am friends with her (because my mom, who works for the same company, went BSC and I had to get her involved.) anyways, I was thinking maybe I should ask her to sit-in on the meeting with me? That way it's a nuetral third party. My boss is just a big softy and would be all like "lets get along", plus I think if my boss was there and I called her out she'd get really defensive (which might be a good thing) what do you think?

• Options

Here is her carefully worded email:

Hey Kimberly,

Would you have a good time available today or tomorrow to sit down and chat with me for a little bit?  I would like to grab a conference room otherwise I would have just come over and asked.  Let me know what would work and I will plan accordingly from there.  Thanks Kimberly.

• Options
    jlp0528jlp0528 member
    edited January 2014
    @kimberlymacrae I feel like some drama is coming from this meeting and I have to say as much as she sucks I am just pulled into this soap opera with her. I look forward to your posts wondering what the crazy coworker has done now!' 8->

Have all your documentation ready, premeeting for sure and 100% use the hr rep! GL and keep us posted!

Edit: confusing words.

BFP: 1/17/13 EDD: 9/20/13 Dalenna Rose Born: 40 wks 4 days 9/24/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FTM to my sweetpea Miss D.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

@starscream:  It is the same program, ours is called Microsoft Lync. First, I think you're over estimating her intelligence or her ability to actually "fluff and hide" and act like she is working. But you are right, you can manually change you status. However we have 2 yellows, we have inactive (no computer strokes, can be "faked") and be right back (which is the manual option) If you are teleworking you're supposed to use you status to communicate to the rest of the staff and your not supposed to manually block out your time unless you are in an actual meeting. Plus most of the time she's "white" which is just that her computer is closed or sleeping. As you can tell I have spent a lot of time obessesing over this. Plus I match her status to her lack of emails. I am CC-ed on all emails so if you haven't sent an email in 4 hours while you're at home, but when you're in the office I get at least an email every 10 mins... I am pretty sure you're either not working. Or working on another "task", which is fine. Don't charge your time to my charge code and don't tell your boss that "conference management" (my department) is taking up all of your time.

@JLMcWeeney:  I'd love to say team but the other admin.s never stand up to her and say "listen we're covering for you left and right and you need to step it up." so that "team" thing will just start more than it will help. I think I am going to just stick to the simple facts, we don't have to get along... the work just needs to be done. And when John (my boss) and myself ask that the travel request list be brought down to zero each day... this needs to happen. And if this isn't possible then maybe we'll start to look into tasks that you can complete easier. I just want the work to get done, like we've asked.

We use Lync as well so I know exactly what you're talking about. When we are working on something and don't want to be bothered, we put the red busy status on.

Anyways I like PP ideas of getting as much backup as you can. Good luck!

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• Options
    I don't think it's wise to post this all online in a public forum under your full name with your picture...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Salemkitty13Salemkitty13 member
    edited January 2014
    I would definitely have HR there. I'm concerned that if it was just y'all and the boss he might start seeming like he was siding with her. She probably realizes that she has used up her excuses so she is trying to turn the tables.
    As far as a premeeting with your boss, I'd go to him and say she asked for a private conference and you'd like him there. Tell him you think it will be a good opportunity to discuss performance issues and ask his advice on how to approach her. If its his idea... 
    Besides you should be able to fish out whether she was complaining about you so you are not blindsided by her. (You big meanie) I mean seriously how dare you ask her to complete tasks! You don't know her lyfe!
    ETA forgot to add. good Luck! And give her hell! :)
  • Options

We use Lync as well so I know exactly what you're talking about. When we are working on something and don't want to be bothered, we put the red busy status on.

Anyways I like PP ideas of getting as much backup as you can. Good luck!

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• Options
    PPs have said it all. Get as much proof as you can.

Didn't you say that while she was getting paid for medical leave she texted you to come out with her? If you still have those that may be something to add to the paperwork to give your boss

Good luck!! Don't forget to let us know how it works out
  • Options
    She sounds like an idiot.

But agreed with @jjkaye It might be a good idea to ask for a name change.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    I've had to deal with this before. I would approach the meeting with your boss as a joint effort to help get her back on track. Something like, so I'm meeting with X on Friday and you know we've been having some issues on her performance. I really want her to succeed here and I'd love your input on how you think I should approach it with her. This is what I was thinking of saying/doing. What do you think?

This way, it's you and your boss's approach instead of just yours. Your boss will feel just as invested in this and will most likely not side with her. Then when you have the meeting with her you can also position it as you caring for her work performance and success. Go in it on the offensive (something like "I'm glad you called this meeting because I was actually set one up with you). And stick to the facts on the "areas of improvement" (a major one being actually showing up for work...)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"