1st Trimester
Options

Nervous To Tell Anyone

So I'm only 5 and a 1/2 weeks so I don't really want to tell anyone in case something happens.  But I just can't hold it in any longer.  At first I wanted to wait until like 5 months because well I don't really know why that's just want I decided.  My husband and my birthday is in two months so I could wait until then when everyone is over for our birthday but that's TWO months away.  I'm thinking about telling my parents this weekend in person but I'm nervous about it.  I talked to my mom today and I felt like I was lying to her about something and she probably knew I was lying.  I've went through all the scenarios of telling my sisters-in-laws who would somehow tell my mom or mother in law or vise versa.

Idk why I am so nervous to even tell my mom, who i'm super close with.  Maybe because I still don't believe it myself.  Oh and I won't go to the doctor for another month and a half almost to confirm.

Do any of you have this problem?

Re: Nervous To Tell Anyone

• Options
    I was super nervous telling our families the news.  I think that's normal.  We told at 5 weeks because it was Christmas and we were going to see everyone in person that weekend. We gave them gifts to open, so I didn't have to say it, but I still had butterflies.  I figured, I wanted them to know about it sooner and be happy with us.  The thought of them finding out when we had a loss and not having the time to be happy before, was what helped with the decision.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I can only slightly relate to your situation! My family knew we'd been trying for the last 6 months and so they were really supportive every time I had to play the waiting game each month. Then, last week when 3 HPT were positive, I called my parents right away. My husband then called his. We were so excited!! We are waiting to tell the rest of the family until after my first appointment with the Dr....so when I'm about 8 weeks.

They say not to tell anyone until the 2nd trimester, but you are right, it's hard to not want to share the exciting news!! I keep reminding myself that if I want to tell people that I'm pregnant, I better be prepared to have to tell them the bad news in case I miscarry. That usually helps me keep my mouth shut.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We told immediate family and a few friends because like PP said, I think we would tell them even if God forbid something would happen.
    TTC since 5/13
    BFP 1/23 
    MMC 3/4
    D&C-3/12 
    Currently NTNP
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat, I have only told a good friend of ours and my best friend and his wife, all of whom have known in detail just about, what we have been going through and the procedures. Our parents know what we have been going through as well, but I don't want to jinx ourselves. I'm thinking I'm going to wait until after our ultrasound at 6w5d to tell our family. We are going to wait to announce it to our other friends and the facebook world till after 12 weeks.
    Hannah

Nov'12- Started TTC
    Sept-Dec'13- HSG, 2 IUI's, DX PCOS
    Jan '14- IUI#2=BFP!!
    Mar '14- M/C @ 8w2d when I should've been 9 weeks. D & C 3/7/14
    May'14- Started Pregnitude
    June'14- BFP! (Naturally!!) Beta #1 (4w2d)=78, Beta #2 (4w4d)=219, Beta #3 (5w0d)=785

BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    elektragreenelektragreen member
    edited January 2014
    We waited until after our first u/s to tell our families. I was 8 weeks, and felt much more comfortable having seen the heartbeat. We will probably start telling friends and people at work after my 12 week appointment. I want to hear the heartbeat again before I let those other people know. 
    Married June 2012
    DH: 31 Me: 30 dx PCOS 2001
    Surprise BFP 12/8/13 EDD 8/14/14
    Stroke: 3/15/14 dx expressive aphasia: had to relearn how to communicate
    Charlotte Joy Born 8/9/14

• Options
    I think it gets easier as time goes on not to tell. At first I was like "Ack I'm going to explode with this huge secret!" now it's more like "I've got a secret... and hardly anyone knows!"

We had to go the IVF route (had a lot of trouble conceiving) so I'm cautious to only tell select people at this point. I'm getting close to the 12 week mark and now I'm not even sure I'll announce. I just won't be so secretive. Word travels fast anyway.
  • Options
    With my 2nd son I told everyone as soon as I could! Family & friends first & by week 5 Facebook & friends knew! Now, not even 2 years after my youngest son was born, I have just found out I'm pregnant again. I'm super nervous about everyone finding out but at the same time, I'm excited. I'll need to tell co-workers ASAP because they'll wonder soon enough why I'm going to the doctor.
  • Options
    I figure if something did happen i would want my parents, inlaws and our siblings to know about it and be there to support me. Ill tell them after we confirm with the doctor but wont tell anyone else until 12 weeks.
  • Options
    We just found out too, and tossed around the idea of waiting, but my first doctor's appointment and ultra-sound aren't until twelve weeks! I could never wait that long to tell my family. We're going to tell my parents this weekend and probably his mother too, then our close friends and that will be it until the doctor appointment :)
  • Options
    I was so glad I hadn't told anyone after our loss with my second pregnancy.  I would have hated having them go through that disappointment with me.  I still told them after, but I know they would have also been devastated had they known before.  I could then grieve in my own time and on my own terms. 
    On our way to baby#2!  Praying for a healthy and happy delivery next June!
  • Options
    We told our families at 7 weeks (Christmas Eve), our closest friends at 10 weeks, and everyone else at 12 weeks (this past Friday). It sucks to wait, but I thought it was fun to have a little secret for a while...

DD: 8/20/14; DS: 11/13/16; DD: 5/3/19; DD: 8/31/21; Baby #5 (team green) due 3/24/24

• Options
    Leysin97Leysin97 member
    edited February 2014
    I told my immediate family and best friends. We too are only about 5 weeks. My husband told his coworkers. I left it up to him. I don't really know them so it doesn't bother me either way. My department head and AP also know because I have to be out and other concerns I had (like running to the restroom in the middle of class. I didn't want anyone else at work to know in case something happens. I think it's up to how you feel. Would you be ok of people knowing if something happens? That's what I thought about when making that decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"