Working Moms

Cross country move

I have been sporadically posting about looking for a job in Denver, then moving to a remote Colorado resort area, then skype interviewing. Well I was offered the position in this remote town. Now I am so confused on what to do. I just want to vent some of my concerns and get anyone's experience if you've ever been in a similar situation.

Currently both DH and I have good full time jobs making about equal money. We have two kids under age 3. We live within an hours drive of both our families, in opposite directions. I really like my job and the people there, so does DH. But we have been daydreaming of moving to the mountains for a few years so started looking.

This job offer is in a small town. There are not a lot of job prospects for DH who still is paying student loans. The cost of housing is super high. The prospective job for me would be fun and interesting. But we would be going from being pretty comfortable financially to being pretty broke, at least until DH could find something.

Am I insane to consider this new position? What would WM do?

Re: Cross country move

• Personally I wouldn't do it (but I am a Very risk adverse person and have never moved away from family). I think it would be super stressful if your DH couldn't find a job, and it sounds like there's not a lot of job prospects there. If you were moving somewhere LCOL where it wouldn't be a big deal if one person wasn't working, then it would be different. Also consider added cost- both time and money- of going to visit family. Colorado is not the only place with mountains, maybe expand your search area.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the replies. You are all articulating what I'm also feeling. But there is a part of me that things it would be an adventure and that I'm being too uptight.

We have been on and off looking for jobs in Denver area for a few years. But there are a ton of equally qualified engineers already in that area so we never have any interest. Moving to a remote HCOL area was not my first choice.

I would like to retire to a warm climate, not CO! Ha
  • Loading the player...
  • On paper it sounds crazy. But if you were serious enough about the dream to apply for jobs, then will you regret not taking it? A few years ago my mom told me that she had an opportunity to work for a year in New Zealand when my brother and I were young. She didn't take it because she was worried about pulling us out of school, and my dad's job. That would have been an amazing experience, I wish she would have done it. DH and I moved 1000+ miles away from family for our jobs. It makes life hard not having help, and the kids don't see their grandparents very often. But I'm glad we did it.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • GMH1183GMH1183 member
    edited January 2014
    @privacywanted that is exactly what we would do. Some sort of split arrangement. Which also sounds awful lol. We are in MI!

I'm just not sure that giving up our cushy comfy life for more adventure sounds as appealing in my 30s as it did in my 20s.
  • We are dealing with the same issue, H was offered a wonder job…. In Hawaii. I do not know we can relocate from CT to HI. ahhh
  • Part of the problem is that there are not a lot of opportunities for DH for jobs. Even if he is local. It is just a small area. He could of course find work but it just might not be the professional job he has now. This is a big sticking point for me.

@lilly&co let me know what you decide! I was on a temporary assignment in HI for four months. I would never live there. Beautiful to visit but islands freak me out after a while.
  • Is this your dream job? If so, then I'd make it work. If it's not, and rather just a job that gets you to a location you like, then I wouldn't do it. DH and I moved when he didn't have a job and I did. There were opportunities here, though, he just had to find something. I wouldn't move somewhere where the job opportunities for him are limited or unknown, especially in a higher COL area.

• I'm not one for moving, both jobs and places of living so this would be really hard for me.  If it's your dream job and dream location for living though then I would try to find a way to make it work.

My husband is currently job searching all over the country with me dreading him finding something outside of our immediate area.  Much like with your husband, wherever he finds a job, there would most likely be no job prospects in my area of work and perhaps some in areas I could work but wouldn't be thrilled with.  I would find it very difficult to give up my job and career in exchange for his while also uprooting our family and then moving away from our families who help us out quite a bit.  When he was offerred a job out of state last year we discussed living apart at least for a time until we figured something out but the idea of being a single, working parent with four kids is just overwhelming.

I hope you guys can figure out what is best for your family!

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• GMH1183 said:
    Part of the problem is that there are not a lot of opportunities for DH for jobs. Even if he is local. It is just a small area. He could of course find work but it just might not be the professional job he has now. This is a big sticking point for me. @lilly&co let me know what you decide! I was on a temporary assignment in HI for four months. I would never live there. Beautiful to visit but islands freak me out after a while.
    It would be a toss up. If we moved to HI, we would be making more money on his salary than his and mine combined now. x5  Its financially an amazing situation. I am a restless person and love to work. I do not know how my credentials would carry over. If I do decide to go back to work. It would be in Honolulu .
  • Lilly&Co said:

It would be a toss up. If we moved to HI, we would be making more money on his salary than his and mine combined now. x5  Its financially an amazing situation. I am a restless person and love to work. I do not know how my credentials would carry over. If I do decide to go back to work. It would be in Honolulu .

Do it! If this is your financial situation in the new job, I'd take it for awhile. Make sure you live somewhere with a guest room! People love to visit Honolulu if they have a free place to stay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"