Baby Names

I need a character name with an ambiguous racial/socioeconomic/religious/ethnic background

Good afternoon ladies! Since you've all helped me so much with my baby name list and always have good suggestions, I thought I'd turn to you for help here.

I'm working on a training program for college students and am drawing a blank. This program will (hopefully) be used all across the country and the group I'm working for wants to include a number of different student backgrounds.

The section I'm currently working on will feature a student named Alison who will appear on screen and she will be talking some about her roommate, who will not be appearing on screen. 

I need a name for Alison's roommate. I'd originally called her Melissa, but the consensus was that sounded too white and middle class, especially since they feel Alison sounds a that way(I know, I know, someone was just flamed for this the other day, but those aren't my words). We have not auditioned for this yet, so Alison very well could be non-white, but they still want a different roommate name and have no suggestions for that name so I'm not 100% sure what they are looking for.

I'm blanking on a name that could hint that roomie could be from any ethnic or socioeconomic or cultural background. 

image image

Re: I need a character name with an ambiguous racial/socioeconomic/religious/ethnic background

• Mia?

Alexis?

Sherry?

Those are the names that come to mind of women I've known of various cultura lbackgrounds.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • edited January 2014
    You want an obvious ethnic name or a subtle hint to background?

I mean, Djamila (Jamilla) is an obviously arabic name, and Sage is a subtle hint to Nature lovers/Eco "green" lifestyle...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks guys. I'm trying to come up with a list since I'm not sure what they're looking for. Then THEY can pick.

image image
  • You want an obvious ethnic name or a subtle hint to background? I mean, Djamila (Jamilla) is an obviously arabic name, and Sage is a subtle hint to Nature lovers/Eco "green" lifestyle...
    I didn't get a lot of information beyond Melissa being too white and wanting something else (basically the first post). I'm trying to finish this before mat leave and didn't want to spend a long time asking about this, since I'd rather they give feedback in areas that are more useful and relate to the training itself.

image image
  • Alexa
    Jordan
    Kayla
    Marie

I would probably use Alex myself. Alex is the ultimate ambiguous name - use for males and females across all races and backgrounds in the US. It also doesn't hint at a certain amount of femininity when used on a girl. Maybe too close to Alison though. 
  • Maria
    Jasmine
    Cheyenne
    Shauna
    Isabella
    Lydia
    Tiana
    Sierra

Delilah Noel
    4/25/14 12:41am

• Still unsure what they want exactly but here are some rather obvious ethnic names...

Jamilla
    Estrella
    Padmina
    Lee (score generic, asian, and all socio-economic levels)
    Clover
    Soleil

HTH

• Eve, Brittany, Dana, Jordan, Maria, Shelley, Danielle/Dani, Gabby
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

• This is harder than I thought-- to come up with names that have no socio-economic connotations.  This is my best shot

Lila

Nina

Renee

Elise

Natalie

Dana

Danielle

Christine/ Kristen

Margaret

Holly

Anna

Mia

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Maya, Jordan, Lexi, Gabrielle. Those say "generic college aged girl" to me.
    Great choices. Maya was the first name I thought of as well.

• Lol I fail at reading comprehension today. Woops?

All of these are great suggestions and I second Maya and will add Sherri/Sherry. Sorry again!
  • Anna is my first thought as I have known Anna's of nearly every race and religion. My next up would be Sarah or Jessica, likely because there was a Sarah and a Jessica in every classroom I was in from first grade thru grad school!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mila, Alyssa, Ashley, Samantha, Christina, Sophie, Kiana, Danielle, Kate, Jamie, Stephanie, Taylor, Monique, Riley, Jennifer, Gloria, ... This is hard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"