1st Trimester
Options

Chemical Pregnancy in December, now Pregnant

So I had went and saw my OB for my yearly check up on December 30th.  I told her what was going on prior to appt., being 9 days late, starting AF on Christmas Eve, bleed heavy one day, light the next 2 days, then done.  Also, had BFN test 3x.  She said I had what was called a chemical pregnancy.  Well, now I am pregnant.  Is it possible to have a "chemical pregnancy" and still get pregnant during that?  If that makes sense?

Thanks!

Re: Chemical Pregnancy in December, now Pregnant

• Options
    Joy2611 said:

bike4life said:

Well, now I am pregnant.  Is it possible to have a "chemical pregnancy" and still get pregnant during that?  If that makes sense?

It sounds like you had a period, then ovulated, and got pregnant.

This. Did you ever confirm with an hpt? Or just assume you were pregnant because you were late? Its very possible you O'd later than normal and got pregnant after AF.

*January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails*

imageimageimage

• Options
    It would not be possible to get pregnant during a chemical pregnancy because as long as your body still has HCG present, you will not ovulate. So you either had a chemical pregnancy, started your period, ovulated, and became pregnant again right away, or you had a late period last month and became pregnant this month. You didn't say if you had turned tests positive last December, only that they were negative after you started bleeding.

Either way congrats on your pregnancy and your first appointment will probably clear up any confusion about how far along you are, if they include a dating ultrasound. Those are routine at my doctor, but you may need to discuss it with yours.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry all, last month in December, I had negative tests before I started on Dec. 24th... Doctor said I had a chemical pregnancy...

I am pregnant now... guess that's all that matters!
  • Options
    SquiddlySquiddly member
    edited February 2014
    I don't understand why your doctor would say that. In November I had THREE positive HPTs, but started bleeding four days later. By the time I started bleeding, my betas were at 3, so negative for pregnancy. No doctor will tell me for sure I had a CP because they could not medically confirm I was ever pregnant. I don't know why your doctor would assume you had a CP when there was absolutely no evidence of that. Not to be harsh, but you might want to ask the doctor and if he/she can't give you a satisfactory answer, you might want to consider switching doctors.
  • Options
    SquiddlySquiddly member
    edited February 2014
    Sorry, double post because of slow internet. Ignore this!
  • Options
    I agree with the others.  If you had no positive HPTs and your hcg levels weren't checked or weren't high enough to appear as if you had been pregnant, it's a leap to say it was a chemical pregnancy.  I'd be questioning why the doctor would jump to that scenario without clear reason.  I wouldn't trust a doctor who would diagnose a worse case scenario without proof.

FWIW, it is possible to get pregnant the cycle after a chem preg/early miscarriage.  I did that with my son.  I know for sure it was an early m/c because I had three squinters and they caught my hcg levels going back down the day I m/c. I was going in for a pregnancy test that same day anyhow since I wasn't getting a nice clear test and I was newbie enough to still think I needed a doctor confirmation.  It just worked out that they caught my m/c levels instead.  
    Lucas Arlo - 2/26/10, Cordelia Jane - 1/20/12 
    #3 is due 8/27/14

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"