Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Tantrums at 22 months old

My 22 month has never had what I would call a tantrum up until a few weeks ago that is. One example....We get home from daycare and she walks in the house and automatically starts crying, I go and try to comfort her and she flipped out, stomping her feet, hitting our dogs....this lasted about 20 minutes. She seems to only get like this in the evenings, which I assume is because she is tired/hungry. I tried hugging her, distracting her, ignoring her....

For anyone in this situation how do you handle it?? I want to start off handling it in the best way for her.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tantrums at 22 months old

• Options
    For us, a lot of it is figuring out what is causing the tantrums so we don't have them to start. Most of ours are caused by kiddo wanting to do something himself so that he feels like he's helping, ie closing a door, taking off his own jacket, taking off my jacket, putting things away, etc. So when we get in the house we have a routine now that he goes through and that has seemed to help.

If we think he's tired or hungry, we offer food or start getting ready for bed early. Sometimes starting a  particular routine helps him as it's something new to focus on. So if he's hungry, we ask him if he's hungry and if so, does he want to help get dinner ready. We give him things to put on the table. He feels like he's helping and the concept of doing something distracts him out of his tantrum.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"