July 2014 Moms
Options

Free Breast Pumps!!

Hey there friends! Many of you may know this already but under Obamacare, you maybe eligible for a brand new, not used, free breast pump. Under my insurance, the almost $400 electric dual breast pump (Medela) is FREE FREE FREE!!! Only thing, they will only send it to you 30 days before your due date. Check with your insurance provider and g'luck!! I'm excited to get mine!!

Thought I'd share for those future breast feeders out there.

Enjoy!!

Re: Free Breast Pumps!!

• Options
    I need a script for mine and cant order it until the baby is born.
    imageimage

BFP #1 11.10.13 EDD 07.22.14 Stick baby cake!
    image https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/ee/d355aa73ed49767417acbbe29ed0e6.png  BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I don't need a script but only get 50% off my copay for a rental.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I still have to call my insurance to ask, I hate talking to them :p
  • Options
    I hope this applies for military insurance...doubt it though lol
  • Options
    I bet when June/July rolls around, the Medela dual pump will no longer be the available free option. Insurance companies are too into making money to do that for long.

Me:35 DH:37
    Married 09/2013

*TW* TTC #2 since June 2016 *END TW*

Endometriosis

March 2017- IUI#1- Clomid - BFN
    April 2017 - IUI #2 - Clomid, Ovidrel - BFN
    May 2017 - IUI #3 - Clomid- cancelled cycle

July 2017- IVF #1-Microdose Lupron protocol, Gonal-F, Menopur, HCG trigger- 12 mature eggs, 9 fertilized, 4 frozen- 2 PGS normal!!

August 2017- FET #1

• Options
    TallMomma29TallMomma29 member
    edited January 2014
    hope1017 said:
    Nope.... After I saw this I googled and there have been a few other threads specifically about tricare and breast pumps.  

ETA:  We really can't complain.. but the possibility of a free breast pump sure sounded nice!!

• Options
    @tallmomma29 I know right, considering everything else is practically free (covered)! But hey one can only wish lol
  • Options
    If your insurance does not pay, or you do not have insurance you might be able to get one or help with one through WIC.
  • Options

hope1017 said:

Nope.... After I saw this I googled and there have been a few other threads specifically about tricare and breast pumps.  

ETA:  We really can't complain.. but the possibility of a free breast pump sure sounded nice!!

I was so sad when my midwife told me Tricare doesn't cover it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Apparently BCBS in my state only covers hand pumps. :(
  • Options
    Crappy student BCBS in MA covered a medela double electric pump for me with my Nov. '12 baby.  I got it 3 months before she was born.  GL to everyone dealing with insurance!
    DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
  • Options
    Also if anyone has left over fsa money from 2013 can use it to but breast pump online through fsa website
  • Options
    Our insurance is pretty awesome but they only cover hand pumps. I'd rather pay for a pump than pay up the butt for everything else!
  • Options
    That is dumb. Proof that understanding breastfeeding is still something most people don't. For some people, being able to pump helps their milk come in sooner. You should be able to have it ASAP if necessary. 

image image
  • Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    edited January 2014

That is dumb. Proof that understanding breastfeeding is still something most people don't. For some people, being able to pump helps their milk come in sooner. You should be able to have it ASAP if necessary. 

--------------------------------

If you do need it ASAP because baby is in the NICU or some other something happens, a lot of insurances will cover a rental until the DME company they work with can get you one.

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

• Options
    pantherRN said:
    -------------------------------- If you do need it ASAP because baby is in the NICU or some other something happens, a lot of insurances will cover a rental until the DME company they work with can get you one.
    Yep and they will hook you up at 4:00 in the morning, too. DD was born at 2:55am by 4:00 I was hooked up to a pump.

• Options
    True...you can always rent one. And those hospital grade ones are generally much better. I don't understand the need to wait 4-6 weeks though, NICU or not. Unless perhaps they're worried about you making an oversupply.

image image
  • Options
    Mine was 100% covered after deductible was met, I just had to have a script from the lactation consultant and then went to the medical supply store.  It was a very painless process.  Just check with your insurance to see what their requirements are.

• Options
    Well that was easy, I got 3 companies I can order from.... Now for the hard part, which to get :(

Currently considering Medela and ameda. Any opinions? I am kinda liking the closed systems idea, but I worry it isn't powerful enough.
  • Options
    Ylvelill said:

Well that was easy, I got 3 companies I can order from.... Now for the hard part, which to get :(

Currently considering Medela and ameda. Any opinions? I am kinda liking the closed systems idea, but I worry it isn't powerful enough.

We get the PISA from our insurance.

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

• Options
    I have heard bad review for the ameda
  • Options
    My insurance covers the Ameda, Medela, Hygeia, and Liemrick. I am leaning towards the Hygeia or Limerick.
  • Options

My insurance covers a pump, I'll have to pay a copay at least. I'm not getting it till after I deliver so it won't go to my deductible, labor and delivery will get that covered.

I'm not sure which pump they cover, I believe it's the Medela one.

If your insurance doesn't cover, many DME stores have pumps you can rent up to purchase. I used to do medical billing for a hospitals DME stuff, and we rented out Medelas.

And yes, WIC does have them also.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Ylvelill said:
    Well that was easy, I got 3 companies I can order from.... Now for the hard part, which to get :( Currently considering Medela and ameda. Any opinions? I am kinda liking the closed systems idea, but I worry it isn't powerful enough.

NOOOOOO on the ameda. The damn thing beeps incessantly. OMG it's torturous. I used a medela and an ameda  -- go for the medela!

• Options
    I just found out MY INSURANCE PAYS FOR MY BREAST PUMP 100% COVERED!!!!! They are sending me a list of providers I can order it from! WTF. I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!

Of course, sorry for the all caps but I am just THAT excited!
  • Options
    I have tricare, and therefore have to pay for one. :(
    We're expecting baby Jameson!

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Beeping eh? Guess I should look into that :) thanks for the advise!
  • Options
    Bravo for bringing this topic up, pleased to say I will be getting a breast pump covered at 100%. Thank you!

• Options
    I am thrilled that I will get one covered 100% as well. I have 2 providers I can go through, 1 only does the Ameda purely yours and I have to wait until after the baby is born. The other 1 has a selection and I can get it up to a month before my due date, they have PISA which is what I had with DD but my current one broke. Clearly I will be going with supplier number 2. 

image image   image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

BFP#1 9/25/10 DD born 6/9/11
    BFP#2 8/1/13 MC 8/31/13
    BFP#3 11/2/13 EDD 7/15/14 Stick baby Stick
    1st u/s 11/26/13 at 7w, measuring right on track and a heartbeat of 139bpm
    NT Scan 1/6/14 at 12w 6d, normal healthy squirmy baby measuring right on track heartbeat of 147bpm
    1st 2nd tri Scan 2/3/14 at 16w 6d, very healthy baby BOY!
    A/S 3/4/14 still a very healthy BOY, measuring right on track!
    DS born 7/9/14

All always welcome

• Options
    andyandrachelandyandrachel member
    edited January 2014

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-are-my-breastfeeding-benefits/

Coverage of breast pumps

Your health insurance plan must cover the cost of a breast pump – and may offer to cover either a rental or a new one for you to keep.

Your plan may provide guidance on whether the covered pump is manual or electric, how long the coverage of a rented pump lasts, and when they’ll provide the pump (before or after you have the baby).

But it’s up to you and your doctor to decide what's right for you.

You have omitted some important bits of information from that article.

"The health care law requires *most* health insurance plans to provide breastfeeding equipment and counseling for pregnant and nursing women."

And

"These rules apply to Health Insurance Marketplace plans and all other health insurance plans, except for grandfathered plans."

I've spoken with my insurance. They told me that the new laws do not apply to my insurance (grandfathered plan) and that a breast pump is considered DME (Durable Medical Equipment) and as per my plan they will cover a 50% copay like with all other DME claims.

Your original quote from the article leaving out this information is misleading.
  • Options
    I can get a free one as well. No script needed but have to wait until baby is born. Luckily the hospital I deliver at sells medela
    Lenox: Born March 13, 2012
    Number 2:  EDD July 4, 2014

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Ylvelill said:

NOOOOOO on the ameda. The damn thing beeps incessantly. OMG it's torturous. I used a medela and an ameda  -- go for the medela!

I could not stand my ameda. I bought the electric double pump. My sil gave me a medela eletric single pump and I just ended up using that the entire time. Loved it. Getting the medela double this time.
    Lenox: Born March 13, 2012
    Number 2:  EDD July 4, 2014

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Medela it is then :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"