Success after IF

Any experience with twins, one being a blighted ovum?

We had our first OB appt today and I am 9 weeks. Since we did a FET I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks with our RE. At that time she had said she was looking for two babies since my numbers were so high, but there was only one little healthy looking baby.

We were then released from the RE to my OB. They did an ultrasound today and saw two sacs. One with a healthy baby and the other was a lot smaller and was empty. My Ob said the other one was likely a blighted ovum and that I could have spotting later on, but it shouldn't effect the other baby and will most likely be absorbed. She said there was a small chance of miscarriage, but we can't know for sure. She said the baby is measuring perfect and had a great heartbeat of 164.

Even with the OBs reassurances I'm still worried about losing this baby too. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers  

Re: Any experience with twins, one being a blighted ovum?

• kmc84kmc84 member
    edited January 2014
    Congratulations! I'm sorry about the blighted ovum- what a mix of emotions!

My first pregnancy was a single blighted ovum. With my dd, there were two separate sacs at 6w2d, one with a hb and one with none. My RE felt that it could have just been behind. It grew, but we never saw a hb. The sac shrank and eventually was unable to be seen by 11 weeks. I never had any spotting.

Best of luck to you!

(Edited-spell check is changing things!!!)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • no experience here but i've definitely heard many women over on the multiples board (who posted there with early questions) who had two sacs, one a blighted ovum, and went on to have healthy pregnancies. best wishes to you - i'm sorry about baby B but wishing you a happy healthy pregnancy with your bean!
    TTC #1 Since January 2011 Dx: PCOS and Anovulatory April 2012 BFP! Beta 1 5/22 - 1,000+ Beta 2 5/24 - 3,009 1st u/s 6/5 - TWINS!!! A/S Reveals we are Team PURPLE!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image  12/27 - surprise BFP - due August 2014
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi -
    We had something similar with our first.   We lost DS twin somewhere around 9 weeks.   We had seen a heartbeat and everything.  It was really upsetting to "know" but it didn't impact DS (or me physically) at all.   Our docs told us something similar - that I might have some bleeding but in all likelihood the baby would be "absorbed" eventually.  I never had any bleeding, and through successive ultrasounds we watched as the little bean and sac got smaller and smaller until it was gone.  DS was born fine (a couple of week early, but huge and fine!) and turns three next month.
    FWIW - from what I read (A LOT) about "vanishing twin" it seems to be pretty common.
    Best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"