May 2013 Moms
Options

Boundaries for LO

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on how they are or are planning on setting boundaries for their LOs.

My plan of action so far has been to create as safe environment as I can so that I can give LO plenty of freedom and don't have to overuse the word "no."  My idea is to use, "no," sparingly but meaningfully. 

I started really using the word "no" with LO and enforcing it by not letting him have something delicate or dangerous rather than just distracting him from it.

So far, he tantrums badly when I say "no," and repeatedly goes after the object I have tried to teach him not to take.  So, I am not sure my strategy is working or if I just need to stick with it.

Thoughts..comments?

Re: Boundaries for LO

• Options
    I'm trying to let T explore the house and not say "no" too much. I tend to say "yuck" when he is attempting to eat things he's not supposed to. Lately eating shoes, the door stop, and crawling into the bathroom are some of his favorite things to do. I do tell him "no" when he's grabbing onto my hair, my face, or biting me while eating.
  • Options
    I feel like I use the word no a lot. And he cries when I say it:)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    NailQueen said:

When I say "no" B smiles knowing hes doing something he shouldn't -I tried giving him a look and he laughs.

Same here!

• Options
    DD isn't crawling yet but when she is I'm going to give her as large of an area to play as possible.

I'll give her a variety of toys to hopefully hold her attention.

Also, I don't mind using the word no but I also give an explanatory word with it. When she is looking at a lit candle and trying to grab it, "No. Hot. Ouch." When she is trying to claw my face off like a baby wolverine, "No. Gentle."

• Options
    A is pretty much able to go everywhere because took anything she shouldn't have out of reach and put foam corners on the coffee table and most sharp edges. She is free to roam as she pleases but I do follow to make sure everything is ok.

That being said things can get left down sonetimes She does love wires tv remotes, a fancy gaming mouse, x-box and PS3 controllers, phone, ipod etc. When one of her brothers leave them out we just take the object away and say that's delicate, this isn't safe for you, that doesn't go in your mouth or something like that.

We take the object but offer her something she can have. She usually has a meltdown because she hates having sonething taken away.

A loves the word no and will shake her head no and laugh. When she tries slapping, scratching, pulling my hair I just say be gentle in a gentle voice and take her hand and show her gentle.

The word no is still used but it isn't the only one used.
  • Options
    I'm very very descriptive when he gets into things. I redirect him, but I'll say something like "you shouldn't chew on this wire because it's electrical and it could hurt you very badly, but you can chew on this instead," and offer him something else.  If he keeps going back to the same thing I either move it or just start moving him away silently and eventually he gives up and tries something else. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"