Babies on the Brain
Options

How old were you when you had your first baby?

I just turned 30 and me and husband plan on trying soon. Everyone keeps telling me I better hurry up and not wait much longer. Lol
So just wondering How many of you were in your thirties?

Re: How old were you when you had your first baby?

• Options
    edited January 2014

Me.  I was 31.

Right now two of my best girlfriends are pregnant with their first babies and they are both 33. 

Of my close circle of friends, only one had a baby in her 20s, actually.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    DS was born 3 weeks after I turned 29.  This one will come about a month before I turn 31.

Being 30 is no reason to "hurry up and not wait much longer" at this day and age.  Plenty of people get married and start families in their 30s without any issues.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks y'all. That's good to hear. I agree with jnnfrrose. I do get tired of hearing that -about "you're not getting any younger" speech. You'd think these people were living in my uterus and know what's going on right?! Lol
  • Options
    I'm currently 10 weeks pregnant and I will be 28 when this one comes.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    I was 29.5, lol. Everyone is ready at different times and those who keep commenting on your procreation timeline need to be put in their place.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    No kids yet, but we're both 30 and just starting to TTC.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I was almost 31 and DH was almost 35.  We kept hearing all the same things about our age and ignored them as best we could.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

"Oh, the silent majesty of a winter's morn, the clean, cool chill of the holiday air,
    an asshole in his bathrobe, emptying a chemical toilet into my sewer."
  • Options
    I'll be 27 when DD arrives, but I'm also the first in my group of friends to have kids (also the only one even married), so it's highly likely that they won't start until their 30's.
  • Options
    Our transfer for IVF #3 is tomorrow (assuming that we have something to transfer) , so hopefully I'll be 31 and he'll have just turned 32.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Options
    I think this must be regional. I'm 27 and we're TTC#1 and we're some of the last of our friends to have a baby.
    imageimageimage
    BFP 6/15/14   EDD: 2/24/15

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Like ducktale said it is very regional. We live in the south and have been married almost 3 years. I am 24, DH just turned 26. We are ttc now and hoping to have a baby when I am 25. I don't feel too young at all and people have been expecting us to have kids for years. We hope to have 2 before he is 30. 

• Options
    I agree. I'm normally a very laid back person and tend to just ignore and brush it off but it is frustrating sometimes to hear it! Everyone is different.
  • Options

Our transfer for IVF #3 is tomorrow (assuming that we have something to transfer) , so hopefully I'll be 31 and he'll have just turned 32.

Good luck!

• Options

I was almost 31 and DH was almost 35.  We kept hearing all the same things about our age and ignored them as best we could.

This is basically what I do. Same thing.
  • Options

Like ducktale said it is very regional. We live in the south and have been married almost 3 years. I am 24, DH just turned 26. We are ttc now and hoping to have a baby when I am 25. I don't feel too young at all and people have been expecting us to have kids for years. We hope to have 2 before he is 30. 

That's true. I'm in the south as well. My sister had 2 by the time she was 30 and so have some of my friends. Husband and I have been together for 8 years and married almost 3. And just started talking TTC.
  • Options
    wirt2cutewirt2cute member
    edited January 2014
    I was 21 with my first son. People kept telling me that my oldest needed a sibling, so my second son was born when I was 31 years old.

Edited: wording
  • Options
    Ducktale said:
    I think this must be regional. I'm 27 and we're TTC#1 and we're some of the last of our friends to have a baby.

Oh, we're definitely some of the last out of our peers.  We're just now about to TTC and many of our peers have kids that are already in school.  Some of them had kids right out of high school, and then the rest right after college.  If they're having kids in their 30s, it's likely not their first child.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    -T--T- member
    25. I see nothing wrong with waiting, definitely personal preference and where your life is at. I will probably be close to 30 when we TTC #2. Sometimes I wish we would have waited because DS had so many problems at birth and I would have loved to be more financially ready, but you can't count on a perfectly healthy baby every time, so we got what we dealt, which was pretty awesome in the end!
  • Options
    If we get pregnant within 6mos of TTC then I will be 31 and DH will be 30. I'm 30 right now and he is 29.

Of all of our close friends, 1 had a baby at 32, and two are due over the next few months at the age of 31. I have two other girlfriends who will be TTC this summer and will give birth at 31-33 if it takes up to a year.

None of my other friends are pregnant and several aren't even married yet.

I live in the NE and of most people I know/went to high school with, none really had babies until the past year or two, so most have had their first at 29-31 for those who have already had them. A majority have not had kids yet.

Certainly regional! For almost everyone I know, if you are even 27 and pregnant, we comment on how young that is!
    TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie:
    ~Santa Claus is Coming to Town~

TTC #1: July 2014
    Me: 31  DH: 29
    DX (me): Inborn error of metabolism - protein restriction, metabolic formula & weekly blood tests
    DNA Results (7/1): DH is NOT a carrier for my genetic disorder! 
    7/3: Metabolic clinic gave the green light to TTC - holy crap!
  • Options
    I was 18 (then 21 and 24 with the next two). I'm currently 40 and trying for #4. 

And I agree with regional. I grew up in a very rural farming area, and it is very common to have kids right out of high school. There are tons of people I went to school with who are grandparents already, some with grandkids in school already. If you don't have kids there by 25 people assume there is something wrong with you.

image  image

• Options
    We will start TTC when I am 23 and he is 25. If we happen to get pregnant our first try we will be 24 and 26 when baby is born.

We are the only in our social circle who are thinking about children and the only ones who are married.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• Options
    I will be 29 when this one arrives and my DH 34.  We are the first of my friends to have a baby and everyone is around our same age.  I don't expect most of them to have kids until they are in their early 30s.  It's when it's right for you, not when you're 'supposed' to have kids.
  • Options
    With DS, 28 (pregnant), had him one and a half months before 29.

With this baby, I am pregnant at 33, and will have her at 34.

• Options
    I was 24
  • Options
    With DD I was 18 when she was born, 17 when I got pregnant. With the boys, my only planned pregnancy, I was 24. So I had three kids before I turned 25. But two of them came at once so that makes me feel a little better. Lol.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just had turned 27 which was young in my area. I didn't realize it that much until my oldest started preschool last year and the other moms were late 30s/ early 40s.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was 20, H was  23. We're now 25 and 28 and about to start trying for #2.

Don't let others feel like you need to rush, do it when you feel you are ready.
  • Options
    Our circumstances are a little unusual.

We got DD1 when I was 25 and DH was 22. Her adoption was finalized when I was 29.

DD2 was born 2 weeks after I turned 31. DS1 is due any day now, and I'm 33.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Options
    I had just turned 28 a few weeks before.

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I was 35 when I got pregnant, and 36 when I delivered.  At this point I'll be at least 38 when (hopefully when, not if) I have a second.  I am glad I waited because I had a lot of fun, did a lot of traveling, got a Master's degree and got a good career going in my 20s and early 30s.  My major regret with waiting is that my parents and DH's parents are now older grandparents, and I feel like they can't do the stuff that other, younger grandparents can do. 

In the end, it's what works for each couple and their particular time frame.  Tell people who tell you that you need to hurry up to F&%K off.

• Options
    I was 26.  DH was 27.  
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options
    mb314 said:

I was 35 when I got pregnant, and 36 when I delivered.  At this point I'll be at least 38 when (hopefully when, not if) I have a second.  I am glad I waited because I had a lot of fun, did a lot of traveling, got a Master's degree and got a good career going in my 20s and early 30s.  My major regret with waiting is that my parents and DH's parents are now older grandparents, and I feel like they can't do the stuff that other, younger grandparents can do. 

In the end, it's what works for each couple and their particular time frame.  Tell people who tell you that you need to hurry up to F&%K off.

Great advice! Thanks

• Options
    kelslyniekelslynie member
    edited January 2014
    I was almost 20. Few days shy of 22 when we had our second.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was 21 with DD #1, 25 with DD #2, and 34 with DD #3. We will be TTC #4 end of summer and I will be 36. Don't let people make you feel bad. I felt really young at 21 for a baby. It is a personal choice as to when you decide to take on the responsibility of a child. It is only you and your H business when the time is right!
  • Options
    I was 23 and DH was 22. We're discussing trying for number 2 next year when we're 26 & 24. My sister's were 26 & 28 when they had their first ones and the one is due in April with number 2 at 29.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was 21 when I had my first son. He was conceived on our honeymoon, actually. I had my second son @ 23, then my third son @ 25. Now, I'm due in 6 weeks to have our fourth son and I recently celebrated my 34th birthday. :D
  • Options
    Meery82Meery82 member
    edited January 2014
    I was about 2 weeks shy of 30. I plan to have one more within the next few years.

ETA: DH was 31.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"