Working Moms
Options

Interview Advice: Overqualified?

Hi ladies,
I have a first-round interview coming up, and the hiring manager is interested but is concerned that I'm overqualified and that the job would be a significant step back, title-wise.  While he's right that it would be a big title "demotion", I have many reasons for wanting this specific job.  The company is very family-friendly and is known for good work-life balance, the job itself would be amazingly fun, and after a year at a startup I'm looking for something more stable.  

I've already explained why I'm interested in the job to the recruiter, who remarked that my answers are very much in line with the company's culture and values.  I've also prepared specific examples of times in my work history when I've worked as a line manager at a larger company, how I worked with superiors, etc.  

Any suggestions on how I can reassure a younger and somewhat less-experienced hiring manager that I really want the job, I'm going to be an enthusiastic team member who looks forward to learning from him, and I'm completely comfortable working for him?  

TIA for the help!

Re: Interview Advice: Overqualified?

• Options
    I think probably the reason he is saying you are overqualified is 1) because hes nervous if you take this step back you will want to leave shortly after starting because you are bored and 2) that you will be too expensive or will be asking for raises very quickly. Reassure him of those things.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    He's also going to be worried about whether you'll accept him as an authority (as you mentioned) and if you'll make him look bad or end up competing with him for promotions. I would act as if concerns about his expertise never even crossed your mind (if asked directly or indirectly) and play up your inexperience at a start up and how you problem-solve unfamiliar issues. If it was me, I wouldn't be surprised if this came out of my mouth: Based on what I know about start ups, they aren't always looking to do things the way that other companies have done them before. My experience will help me to problem-solve and offer a different perspective, but I'll be brainstorming appropriate solutions along with everyone else.
  • Options
    Great suggestions above - I think focusing on specifics of job and opportunities which you wouldn't otherwise have is a good approach. As well as reassuring that this position fits your long-term goal and you plan to stick around and why. And of course a lot of enthusiasm and knowledge about exactly what the job will entail and why you like it will go a long way. Good luck!
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks so much, ladies!  You've given great advice.  I've already spoken with the recruiter during the phone screen about salary requirements, and he admitted he was relieved. :)  

From this discussion, I'm taking away:
    -Emphasize the unique opportunity the position gives, why I'd be so excited about the experience
    -Emphasize the opportunity to learn from him and the team in terms of developing new skills in a specific area
    -Discuss why I'm interested in staying with this company for the long term, particularly in terms of the unique position it holds in the industry and how it fits my demonstrated skills and interests
    -Remember to focus on what's in it for the employer, not me :)

Wish me luck, please!
  • Options
    You've gotten great advice and summarized it well!  Good luck!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"