Secondary IF

First Infertility Appointment with Ob/GYN

Hi,
I am new here as it has just been over a year of trying for our second.  I have my appointment with my ob/gyn on tuesday to start the infertility discussion/referral/testing.  I just wanted to ask all of you if there is anything I should be sure to ask or mention to my ob.  I have tracked my cycles by using OPK and most months have BBT charted and will be bringing all of that info with me.  I know this process can vary from doc and person to person and insurance but any info would greatly help me. (If there is a good link or resource that explains this info that would be awesome as well!)  I hate doctors in general and have horrible anxiety with doctors so this whole infertility process is scaring me out of my mind.
Thanks for any info!
-Alanna
DD Born April 2012
TTC#2 since Jan2013
Just beginning infertility journey. :/

Re: First Infertility Appointment with Ob/GYN

• I would say try not to be scared, in a way its a good step, its forward progress.  From there, be your own advocate, research what they tell you. Unfortunately there are good infertility docs and not so good ones.

If you can see an RE (reproductive endocrinologist) they will be alot more help than most OB's.  I would ask things like: for unexplained infertilty how many cycles will you do before reccomending IVF? Ask about their sucess rates, also ask how they handle  high order multiples.  My RE will tell you that their goal is a single healty pregnancy,  anyone that isnt concerned about high order multiple pregancies I would run from.  Ask what they consider a cycle they would move forward with versus a cycle they would cancel.  I interviewed a number of RE's before setttling on mine and if have options I reccomend doing this.  If you come accross specific questions, feel free to PM me.  Take care and good luck

TTC#1 May 2009- July 2010 on our own with no luck

Started with RE in August 2010, dx with unexplained IF and then finally our 3rd IUI cycle using Follistim and Trigger resulted in our wonderful little man.  Born 12/2/11

TTC#2 Never really prevented, but were careful early on as Dr. reccomended

Surprise BFP 12/16/13, started progesterone immediately as first numbers came back low, but betas were good.  Progesterone wasnt enough. Natural MC 12/24/13.

Back with RE as of January 2014...

5/27/14- Chemical Pregnancy :(

April 2015 IVF#1

5/13/15- BFP, please stick LO!

Oh and I'm a major Harry Potter Nerd :)

Silly mugglesimage

• I would research Reproductive endocrinologists/fertility docs before you go my dr recommended the RE I wanted and then called to get me in sooner I was in within 3 weeks. Also know your insurance. I have good fertility coverage but if you don't and are having irregular cycles or some other problem besides just not getting pregnant, then see if they can't bill it because of your irregular cycles, it might be cheaper. Once we got to the root of my irregular cycles and started going forward with the actual treatments that's when it was billed as infertility. I hope all that made sense! Good luck.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I worked with my OB but wish I had seen an RE sooner - I just feel like there is so much more that he is able to do for me. Agree with PP about insurance. We did the initial diagnostic tests and then talked about what the options were (clomid or injectibles to start). I get super anxious at the dr also. It has helped to have my DH come with me for the appts where we have a dr consult. Good luck with your appt! Let us know how it goes!
  • I guess from me, remembering all the years worth of charting I brought in and records of bding, temping, & o'ing they didn't even look at it. They wanted to test, bloodwork or the certain days for hormone levels to check that first, then hysterosonogram and tests on me- then finally said let's check hubs. And we found out male factor infertility. So I would say get an order for him to get tested up front so if they aren't seeing issues with you (blood work good, obviously ovulating and cycle is normal... Ect) they don't keep probing you and find it is mfi. That was us. And yeah- admittedly I'd probably of had to have had the tests anyway- just to make sure not f/mfi, but it is also good I think to know as up front as possible to start mentally preparing yourself. Good luck
    January 2007- Stop BCP! Let's DO this!
    June 2010- MFI. BS. IVF! Ectopic. BS. image

November 2010- FAILED FET! BS!
    January 2011- BFP FET! TWINS!
    February 2011- lost twin. BS. image

SEPTEMBER 2011- DD Born! Most awesome girl in the world!

November 2013- FAILED FET! BS! (screw you November FETs)
    April Fresh Cycle, FAILED. Frozen embryos frozen for future FETs.
    FROZEN CYCLE JUNE! BFP
    BABY BOY VINCENT!

We can't wait to meet you!
    Conception:image
    imageimage Potato Love!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Your ob will only get you so far in discovering the issue at hand.  Hopefully they will figure it out with what they are able to do - that means less testing for you!  I'd second what @momarazzi007 said at about getting your husband tested right away also.  It's the waiting around for answers and testing that drives you mad.  If you get all the tests done for both of you in the next cycle - you can either have some answers or be sent on your way to an RE, but at least you'll be armed with all the info right away.  

Take a notebook, take copious notes.  Ask who you can call/email directly with follow up questions.  Then do some research on what they are recommending for you.  You are your own best health advocate.  Don't just follow doctor's orders blindly.  

Good luck!

Trying for #2 with IVF after damage done in a D&C left me with one functioning (but too scarred) ovary and tube to get pregnant safely without assistance. It's a really, really long story, but that is the gist of it.  We have one daughter (whose c-section birth started this roller coaster) born in 2012 after a miscarriage in 2011. 
    Failed 1st attempt at IVF (Fresh ET day 3, 1 frozen embryo saved) in December 2013.  
    Failed 2nd attempt at IVF (Fresh ET day 5, 2 frozen embryos saved) in February 2014.
  • Thanks!  I have carppy insurance in regards to infertility (HMO) so I am doing bllodwork with my ob cd 3 and cd 21, an hsg and some other bloodwork with tons of tests on it.  Hubby needs to get tested through his doc so he is scheduling an appointment.  Of course I am mid cycle and will have to wait until next cycle to schedule all these tests. :(Hopefully will be done with all tests beg of march).  So overwhelmed, need to do some research!

DD Born April 2012
    TTC#2 since Jan2013
    Just beginning infertility journey. :/
  • Acegoat said:
    Thanks!  I have carppy insurance in regards to infertility (HMO) so I am doing bllodwork with my ob cd 3 and cd 21, an hsg and some other bloodwork with tons of tests on it.  Hubby needs to get tested through his doc so he is scheduling an appointment.  Of course I am mid cycle and will have to wait until next cycle to schedule all these tests. :(Hopefully will be done with all tests beg of march).  So overwhelmed, need to do some research!

You may already know this, but make sure your cd21 bw is actually done 7dpo!

Two DDs 10/08 and 08/10, no primary IF
    TTC #3 since 10/2011 - dx unexplained/weak ovulation
     3 BFN clomid + TI cycles, 5 BFN clomid/gonal f IUIs, 1 mmc IUI
    2/19/2014 IVF #1 Unexpected low E2 (oversuppressed) -> increased to max doses = 3 or 4 follicles, converting to IUI
    BFFP Saw 1 beautiful heartbeat at 6w6d, follow up u/s at 9w showed mmc. Eff this.
    NTNP 5/2014-9/2014, OPKs and TI 10/2014 - 1/2015. 
    RPL testing all normal, AFC, AMH, and FSH all normal. 
    IVF 1.2 1/22/2014 natural cycle start, AFC 28, 300 gonal f/150menopur. 
    ER 2/3/15 14R 8M 3F w/ICSI Day 5 transfer on 2/8/15 of one "Grade A+" blast and have TWO frosties! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"