March 2012 Moms

What do you do for coughing?

Jane has a terrible cough and a fever.  She's already on antibiotics for an ear infection and when I called the on-call doctor this morning they said to just keep an eye on her until tomorrow morning and call again to see if she needs an appointment.  We're doing everything the doctor told us to do (Motrin and Tylenol, antibiotics, ear drops, lots of TLC), but she's still miserable.

Generally, I'd leave it at that and see what the doctor says tomorrow, but both my mom and MIL are here and they both have tons of advice - Vicks, warm towels on her ears, drying her hair before bed (she always goes to bed right after her bath), etc., etc.  I understand they're just trying to help, but it's a little overwhelming and it makes me feel inadequate.  

So, I am turning to you guys for sane suggestions.  Part of me wants to just tell them that we're doing the best we can and that they need to back off, but then I wonder if I'm just not trying hard enough to help DD feel better.  When your kiddo has a nasty cough and fever, what do you do?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What do you do for coughing?

• Vicks on feet, humidifier and elevate the mattress with a thin blanket. We just had that sickness go thru our house. It stinks! Hope J gets better soon!
  • A humidifier works well for us.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Also, BOO to feeling inadequate. Try not to feel that way. You are doing everything you can. Sometimes it just takes a little time and TLC.

Hope she feels better soon!

• Thanks, guys.  We got a humidifier tonight, so we'll see how that does.  I hate seeing her sick and I know the grandmas do, too.  @Zimger I'm trying not to feel inadequate, but it's hard sometimes!  I just hope she feels better before #2 comes - I want her to meet her sister!

• @cmsdouglas - how did your night go?
  • nah82nah82 member
    edited January 2014
    For a cough, I have tried the vicks on the feet and didn't feel like it did anything.  I usually give a teaspoon of honey (they say it helps coat the throat).  Also don't know if that really helps, but my 4 year old enjoys it enough that he asks for "medicine" when he is coughing.

My boys have been fortunate to not have any earaches yet, but I used to get them a lot as a kid.  I remember mom having me lay sideways on the the couch while she dropped something warm in my ear, salt water, olive oil?  Don't remember exactly.  Also a warm wash cloth, hot water bottle, heating pad, or one of those microwave rice bags on the ear can help with pain.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • LilNunz1 said:

@cmsdouglas - how did your night go?

It went ok. She woke up super early, but slept pretty well other than that. And MIL might have made me second-guess myself, but she did get up so I could sleep this morning! They just got back from the doctor with a nebulizer- apparently it's bronchitis. And DH has bronchitis and the flu. It's going to be a fun few days in our house!

• Vicks on feet and chest, and I think dry hair for bed is a good idea too. We also do a cool mist humidifier at night. Lots of cuddles and cartoons :)
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Boiled sliced lemon and orange in water and strained it .. added honey and gave it to him in a bottle.. it's the closest he has ever been to being sick, but it really wasn't a major cough.. so I'm not sure if it would help you .. can't hurt tho..all those extra vitamins and  honey to boot.

Hopefully things will improve soon .. and Grats and good luck :)
  • All the other stuff we've done has already been suggested (Vicks on chest and feet, propped up, honey, humidifier) but the other thing I've done when DS has had chest congestion is run the shower on hot for a bit and get the bathroom really, really steamy (like, sauna steamy) and then bring him in there and sit on the edge of the tub with him and read books, so that he's calm and sitting, but getting lots of the steam.  Seems to help some.

And wow, @cmsdouglas, no kidding about the exciting few days!  T&P that everything goes smoothly and that this all calms down a bit before Lucy decides to make her debut!
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • Oh, and I found out at my doctor's appointment today that I'm 5 cm dilated.  It may be a REALLY exciting couple of days!

Wow! Good luck. I hope it all goes well.

I imagine I will be waddling through to the very end. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"