July 2014 Moms
Options

Gender neutral kids clothing stores?

I recently did my first perusal of some kids' clothing stores. I was so surprised to see how gender specific the closing is! Everything is over-the-top pink or over-the-top blue. Many of the clothes are much more gender specific than anything I would usually wear.

I have a dream to buy mostly non gender specific clothing for my little one. This isn't a social statement on my part; the real reason I'm interested is that I plan to have a second child in the future and would like to reuse the clothes and other baby items as much as possible.

Does anyone have good tips for quality, gender-neutral kids clothes? I am pretty against clothing with characters on it, too...

Thanks!

Re: Gender neutral kids clothing stores?

• Options
    I am looking for this as well :)
  • Options
    I wish I could, but it is pretty specific for babies, either boy or girl. Even the supposedly "gender neutral" items I have found are pretty obviously boy or girl. And I do like babies in something a little more interesting that plain white onesies all the time. I hope someone has a good solution.
                      Image and video hosting by TinyPic                      

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't actually checked any of those stores out yet; I will have to take a look! Thanks!
  • Options
    I think it is way easier to find gender neutral stuff for babies. It is larger sizes that would present a problem. I got lots of neutral stuff for DS with the aim or reusing. Definitely check the above places; even somewhere like BRU should have some neutral stuff because of all the people who go team green.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Gap has quite a bit of neutral stuff
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    I went out just this weekend to Target, Babies R Us, and Old Navy and had no luck finding anything gender neutral. Target was the closest with about three different outfits that were yellow/gray, but still not great. Good luck in your search!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    H&M is pretty nice! Thank you :)
  • Options
    Gap and H&M for sure. Gap is more sweet and cuddly and fun while H&M has gender neutral basics.
  • Options
    If you want to reuse stuff, get boy pajamas because they are just fine for girls too.
    Besides that I would wait until the baby comes.  I was team green and bought way too  much gen neutral stuff at a town boutique.  When my little girl was born I wanted girl clothes not gen neutral so much of it went underused. 
    IVF #1 & 2 BFN
    New RE
    IVF #3 Chemical Pregnancy
    FET #1 BFP-first beta 2113  healthy baby girl born 12/22/11
    FET #2 BFN
    FET #3 BFP first beta 1157
    Baby boy 7/7/14
    natural pregnancy - miscarriage at 7 weeks
    natural pregnancy #2 trisomy 13 and DNC at  14 weeks
  • Options
    I've bought a couple things from Gap (beige), Target (grey and white), and BRU (there were a couple things that were grey/white also).  I know Carter's used to have ducks and frogs (don't know if they still do since DH said no more clothes until we know the sex).
  • Options
    Q1: why is my post flagged?
    Q2: Does it actually matter if my posts are flagged?
  • Options
    At Carter's they have very definite boy and girl sides, but I remember they did have some green and yellow stuff that wasn't too gender specific.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    There are horrible choices out there IMO. Every once in awhile I find a cute set: most recent blue/grey/white with elephants & giraffes onesies.

but in general This is what I tried to do. Pants were easier to buy in greys & blues, jeans without frills. So I went maybe more gender specific for onesies but got pants gender neutral. At least half can be reused. I also figure a girl deserves a little pink & frills just like a boy deserves some cute him clothes. I plan to reuse PJs regardless even if they are girly, it's not like they get worn out. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm 14 weeks and still don't know the gender, but couldn't help myself and checked out gender neutral clothes. My favorite place was H&M baby. I've also found that Etsy has a great selection of gender neutral clothes and shoes.

I ordered a ton of unisex onesies, sweaters, and pants from Amazon. They have great brands for amazing prices!

I also recommend Pinterest for websites and brands that you would never know about.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Q1: why is my post flagged? Q2: Does it actually matter if my posts are flagged?
    Maybe a mistake?  It's not spam, so hopefully it will get removed.

@djtodt9 why the flagging?
    I think they're a flagging troll.

Carter's has some stuff and today they have free shipping and 20% off if you spend $40. I don't think their selection is superb but you can probably get some basics.
  • Options
    I did a lot of gender neutral with my daughter for the first year, and then it shifted more into gender specific clothing. However, I still try to keep her wardrobe pretty blended. I do buy a ton of graphic t's and hoodies and coats from the boys section (greens, navy, black, browns, red, and superheros). 

For the most part, I've found Old Navy and Gap to be the best with this. 
    Carters sleepers I buy from the boys section. 

I've found the secret to find the gender neutral baby stuff from gap is to go to Gap.com, then Baby, and then super small on the left side is "gifts" - You can find a lot of stuff there and it changes frequently https://www.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=1002440&departmentRedirect=true#department=166

Typically, if I preferred gender neutral, I went to the boys section. The colors were/are more bold and something I personally prefer over pinks and purples. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options
    Ditto Another Dreamer.  We will be registering for a lot of "boy clothes" even if this baby is a girl, because I think a lot of the girl clothes are pure ruffles, and boy clothes have things on them like (gasp) dinosaurs.  I actually picked out some clothes with dinosaurs on them and another set with a crab on them.  Both were labeled "boy".  My girl can like dinosaurs!  It was a yellow freaking dinosaur.  I think that is ok for a girl.  Same with a crab...I thought it was beachy and it's dumb to label it boy.  So check the boy section as well, because you may find some clothes that will be perfectly fine for both sexes.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Twotara brand is cute - reversible stuff that's pink on one side/blue on the other!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"