Ear piercing? — The Bump
Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Ear piercing?

Hello I am a FTM I was wondering if anyone has gotten their baby's ears pierced. I am really wanting to get my daughter's done but I am worried about it. Will they be really sore for a long time? Do they get infected easily? Of course I would clean them everyday but is that enough? And what age is best to get them done her doctor said anytime after her first shots. She is 3 months now. Thanks for your time!

Best Answers

Answers

  • Loading the player...
  • Thank y'all! That is exactly why I want to get hers done early because I got mine done as an infant I would have been too scared to do it now so I appreciate my parents doing It while I was little. I don't want to wait until she will remember it and have bad memories either. thank y'all for your input!
    brianna923[Deleted User]
  • For all those who are against getting a baby's ears pierced...did you get your ears pierced when you were older?  Do you really think it hurts that bad?  I got multiple piercings as an adult and I really don't think getting your ears pierced hurts.  I think the sound of the piercing to the baby is more alarming and what makes them cry, more than pain.  Most people don't even notice DD1's earrings. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    [Deleted User]baileygcnotkateanymore
  • In reference to cultural jewlery, I have no problem with the necklaces, brackets, pins. BUT when a child, before the age consent, is put through a procedure for dress up or sparkles it's detestful. There are many ways without harming a newborns body to wear religious jewelry.

    I hear the religious standpoint a lot from the Latino culture. Most of the time, I have witnessed latino cultures don't use religious symbols for newborn earrings. It's hoops, or precious stones or metals. That completely negates the reasoning behind the religious standpoint. It's to show of status or make their child look cute. So a child without earrings is less cute be default?

    The places that would even consider piercing a newborn don't even use proper procedures or aftercare instructions. They are not trained on how to place the 'holes' to allow for future growth. Generally they try their best to center the 'holes' on the current shape and size of the lobes, but since lobes don't grow evenly in all directions, it leads to poorly places 'holes' as an adult.

    My kids will know that when they are responsible, not when they want it, we will have a special day that includes getting their ears done properly. This can mean 10 years old, or 17. If they can't take care of them, out the earrings go, and they can wait till later.

    Honestly, I have had many piercings, and lob piercings hurt less then a bee sting. But will hurt a lot more if not taken care of properly.

    Look up the APP guidelines for piercing, and their reasoning.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    LibberDuck[Deleted User]baloneydisc[Deleted User]
  • I suggest waiting. I don't understand piercing a baby's ears. I honestly think it looks weird and it should be their choice to begin with. I also don't get the cultural aspect of it. Since when should culture give you the right to choose a hole in your child's body? Also, when I got mine done at 13, a whole day was made of it, and it was so special. I can't wait to do that with my daughters if they want to.


    imageimage


    BFP #1 July 4, 2011 Baby girl born Feb 22, 2012!!
    BFP #2 December 17, 2012 MMC January 24, 2013
    BFP #3 April 7, 2013 Baby girl born December 11, 2013!!
    Amelia has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She has had 3 open heart surgeries, 1 g-tube surgery, and one tracheostomy. She is the strongest, most precious little fighter. 
    You can follow her at. Www.ameliafaithsheart.blogspot.com
    [Deleted User]
  • mrsseguin said:
    For all those who are against getting a baby's ears pierced...did you get your ears pierced when you were older?  Do you really think it hurts that bad?  I got multiple piercings as an adult and I really don't think getting your ears pierced hurts.  I think the sound of the piercing to the baby is more alarming and what makes them cry, more than pain.  Most people don't even notice DD1's earrings. 
    Yes, I was 14 and I really, really, really, wanted my ears pierced.  However, I did not have that desire as an infant, or even a young child.  It wasn't something I wanted till I was about 11 or 12. I don't really remember it hurting but I have no idea how it would be for an infant.  My opposition to infant ear piercing is that you have no idea if the child wants pierced ears.  They could end up being upset that their ears are pierced.  

  • For those that are getting DD's ears pierced, where are you having it done? I agree w some of the above posts about steering clear of those mall jewelry shops, but aside from that, what is the option?

    BabyGaga

  • My mom let me decide at the age of 5 that I wanted mine pierced and we got it done. I was always mature or my age so my mom helped me clean them and I didn't fiddle with them. My DD is 7 weeks old and I will let her decide if she wants them as well. I just don't want to mess with getting them pierced now and getting infected or something. A friend of mine had her DD ears pierced a few weeks ago and they actually do it at the pediatrician she goes to so it's done in a sterile environment by a trained nurse. I would try asking your pediatrician if you are wanting your DD done :)
  • mysticl said:
    mrsseguin said:
    For all those who are against getting a baby's ears pierced...did you get your ears pierced when you were older?  Do you really think it hurts that bad?  I got multiple piercings as an adult and I really don't think getting your ears pierced hurts.  I think the sound of the piercing to the baby is more alarming and what makes them cry, more than pain.  Most people don't even notice DD1's earrings. 
    Yes, I was 14 and I really, really, really, wanted my ears pierced.  However, I did not have that desire as an infant, or even a young child.  It wasn't something I wanted till I was about 11 or 12. I don't really remember it hurting but I have no idea how it would be for an infant.  My opposition to infant ear piercing is that you have no idea if the child wants pierced ears.  They could end up being upset that their ears are pierced.  
    I usually see young girls, around the age of 5-8 or so that want their ears pierced.  The parents take them and it ends up being a bad experience.  Either the actual piercing or they get infected after, just ends up not being as 'fun' as it was intended to be.  At 14, your way more mature to handle the experience. 

    I have yet to meet someone who got their ears pierced as an infant who is upset about it.  IMO, they are just used to them always being there and don't think much of it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Bliss+Berry
  • mrsseguin said:
    mysticl said:
    mrsseguin said:
    For all those who are against getting a baby's ears pierced...did you get your ears pierced when you were older?  Do you really think it hurts that bad?  I got multiple piercings as an adult and I really don't think getting your ears pierced hurts.  I think the sound of the piercing to the baby is more alarming and what makes them cry, more than pain.  Most people don't even notice DD1's earrings. 
    Yes, I was 14 and I really, really, really, wanted my ears pierced.  However, I did not have that desire as an infant, or even a young child.  It wasn't something I wanted till I was about 11 or 12. I don't really remember it hurting but I have no idea how it would be for an infant.  My opposition to infant ear piercing is that you have no idea if the child wants pierced ears.  They could end up being upset that their ears are pierced.  
    I usually see young girls, around the age of 5-8 or so that want their ears pierced.  The parents take them and it ends up being a bad experience.  Either the actual piercing or they get infected after, just ends up not being as 'fun' as it was intended to be.  At 14, your way more mature to handle the experience. 

    I have yet to meet someone who got their ears pierced as an infant who is upset about it.  IMO, they are just used to them always being there and don't think much of it. 
    I would not have been permitted to get my ears pierced at that age for the reasons you listed.  The original rule was I had to be 18.  Then my parents divorced and my mom brought it down to 16.  After a very hard campaign, I received earrings in my Christmas stocking a few days after my 14th birthday. I just feel that ear piercing should be done because it is something the person being pierced wants (and is mature/responsible enough to take care of themselves), not because someone else wants it.  My mother never felt the desire to have her ears pierced, it's not something every person wants.  

  • For those that are getting DD's ears pierced, where are you having it done? I agree w some of the above posts about steering clear of those mall jewelry shops, but aside from that, what is the option?
    As I've stated above I wouldn't do it.  However, I recently read this article.

    Ninjamama86
  • Both of my girls had their ears pierced at 5 mo and 4 mo, by the pediatrician. They never messed with them (still don't) and caring for them was super easy. And my kids are definitely cute. :)

    oh and I agree with just about everything Bliss said. I don't understand why people get so worked up about this.

    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

    C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

     

    Bliss+Berry[Deleted User]mandyrvEandIMommy86
  • Why does everyone take things so personally on here? I asked a question if you don't agree why don't you keep your opinion to yourself and if you can't at least don't be so rude. Thank you everyone who gave a polite opinion. I respect everyone's thoughts but for real we are all mothers and adults on here so we should be a little bit more mature. This was my first and definitely my last post on the bump. This is supposed to be a place to go for help and advice but it isn't worth all the negativity.
    mandyrv
  • For those that are getting DD's ears pierced, where are you having it done? I agree w some of the above posts about steering clear of those mall jewelry shops, but aside from that, what is the option?

    Haven't done it yet, but plan to. My pediatrician does it in office. I'm not doing if for cultural reasons, I'm doing it because I want to. Idk why ear piercing is barbaric and circumcision is acceptable? They're just ears, and if she decided that she doesn't want them later in life she can let them close up; if they grow unevenly then she can re-pierce them. I have pierced 2nd and 3rd holes as an adult it was sore but not painful. I don't know any adult upset that their parents pierced their ears as an infant.
    Bliss+BerryEandIMommy86
  • Wait until your daughter is older. I had mine done at eight years old. I was such a tom boy and they got really infected. Ended up in urgent care where they had to hold me down and rip them out. Needless to say it was super traumatizing. Took me until 18 to get them redone.

    Also when she's older take her to an actual piercing studio. Piercing guns are no bueno.
    Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards