Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

If you've had a chemical pregnancy/early loss...

I never called my OB to tell them about my positive test because they don't draw betas or anything. My first appt wouldn't be until 10 weeks anyway.

So now that it's obvious I'm going to lose this pregnancy should I call them? I know there is nothing they can do. And I would be worried that something is wrong (like low progesterone or something) but I had a successful pregnancy that I carried to term back in 2011/2012. So should I just assume this is a loss that just happens for whatever reason and just wait to mention it if/when I get pregnant again? Or is it something I should mention now?
BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you've had a chemical pregnancy/early loss...

• Options
    When I had my chemical the only reason I went to the dr is because I had an appt to start some testing so I went anyway and we discussed where to go from there as far as testing. My Dr doesn't really like to do betas either.

I'm sorry you are going through this but do whatever feels comfortable. It's true there is nothing they can do except make a note in your chart. You could alway call and ask the nurse how they handle these situations.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options
    I have had 2 losses and with my first I happened to have an appointment with my MD after a week of spotting and the second I was seeing a RE.  If you are not filling more than one pad in an hour and the bleeding doesn't last more than 7 days I would not call.  I would be sure to let your MD know at your annual exam though.  

I am very sorry that you are going through this.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    amberhoothootamberhoothoot member
    edited January 2014
    Can I ask how you know it's a loss? Have you begun bleeding?

I called my doctor because I was scared when I started bleeding. They just told me to monitor the spotting and if it became full flow that required a pad/tampon then it was a loss. That was a friday afternoon. The flow did get worse and have clots. I called them back monday because of how severely painful the cramps were over the weekend. They brought me in to check things and give me a kind of pain killer.

I don't think most offices will bring you in. But maybe they'll note your chart.

EDIT: I am sorry you're going through this.

httpi790photobucketcomalbumsyy184elsabrown08e26d3682-3305-47b8-9997-1488d4f6ff18_zpscd6c53aajpg
    ~*~
    Married 4.4.09  ~*~  Me-34 & DH-32 ~*~
    Complete Thyroidectomy Oct 07'  &  Cardiac Ablation Surgery for SVAT Sept 11'
    BFP #1 - 10.3.10  I  EDD 6.11.16  I  Boy #1 born 6.16.11
    BFP #2 - 9.12.13 l EDD 5.27.14 l CP 9.20.13
    BFP #3 - 3.5.14 I  EDD 11.17.14 I  Boy #2 born 11.17.14

• Options

If I remember your post from yesterday, you're getting negative tests now, right?  I'd probably call the doctor's office to let them know and see what they want you to do. They most likely won't want you to come in since it's so early and your tests are negative now, but it can't hurt to let them know.

I hesitate with assuming you're miscarrying without a doctor's confirmation because I did the same thing. At just over 5 weeks, I started bleeding and assumed I had miscarried. A week later my betas were still rising and we ended up confirming that it was ectopic at 8 weeks. I realize that yours likely isn't ectopic because you're getting negatives now, but I know I'll never just assume I miscarried again without talking to my doctor.

TTC since July 2012 
    BFP 5/22/13. Lap. to remove ectopic and dx with endo. 6/16/13

RE consult: June 2014

DX: FVL, endo, hypothyroidism, blocked left tube

Oct. 2014: First treatment cycle: Clomid+trigger+IUI=BFN

November 2014: Clomid+trigger+IUI again=BFP!

BFP 11/28/14 MC discovered 1/14/15

Blogging to stay sane

• Options
    I had mine at 5w3d and went but they didn't do much & it resolved on its own. I agree with @BankerBSN. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

TTC #1 since 08/2013

BFP#1: 1/6/2014 EDD: 9/17/2014 Natural MC: 1/17/2014 (5w3d)

BFP #2: 6/7/2014 EDD: 2/18/2015 Natural MC 6/19/2014 (5w)

BFP #3: 10/22/14 EDD: 7/1/2015  

*Taking Progesterone supplements* Beta 1: 777, Beta 2: 2589 *GROW BABY!*

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    BethKate2 said:

If I remember your post from yesterday, you're getting negative tests now, right?  I'd probably call the doctor's office to let them know and see what they want you to do. They most likely won't want you to come in since it's so early and your tests are negative now, but it can't hurt to let them know.

I hesitate with assuming you're miscarrying without a doctor's confirmation because I did the same thing. At just over 5 weeks, I started bleeding and assumed I had miscarried. A week later my betas were still rising and we ended up confirming that it was ectopic at 8 weeks. I realize that yours likely isn't ectopic because you're getting negatives now, but I know I'll never just assume I miscarried again without talking to my doctor.

Yes. I am getting multiple negatives now. It is early enough to be considered a chemical since I am only 4 weeks. Although I haven't started bleeding yet I know this is over. I had 4 days of faint positives. Then they started to fade...and now they are all negative.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My MC was at around 7-8 weeks. I knew BC I woke up with horrible cramps that lasted for hours with no relief from taking Advil and I was lying in a giant pool of blood and watery fluids. (My menses carried on like usual the next day. i usually bleed for 5-7 days) So, I agree with the PP who said as long as you are bleeding heavily enough your body is doing what it needs to and you don't need a doctor's help or supervision. I preferred to keep this to myself and not to "make a big deal about it" by going to the doctor. It helped me to process the loss and to get closure faster. I'd say that if a doctor's visit would help you then you should go. Since I don't have any experience with drs and early MC I don't know what could be done for you though?

I am so very sorry for your loss.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss! I had an early loss in October at 6-7 weeks. The day I started to miscarry I had an appt with the dr anyway. However, because I am RH- I had to go to the hospital to get a rhogam shot. I am not sure if that is necessary with a chemical pregnancy or not.

I really am sorry for your loss, it's an awful thing to experience! Big hugs to you!
  • Options
    Jpinky9 said:

I am so sorry for your loss! I had an early loss in October at 6-7 weeks. The day I started to miscarry I had an appt with the dr anyway. However, because I am RH- I had to go to the hospital to get a rhogam shot. I am not sure if that is necessary with a chemical pregnancy or not.

I really am sorry for your loss, it's an awful thing to experience! Big hugs to you!

Good point. I am RH- as well. I will call tomorrow just in case.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've had two that were a little further along, but still technically chemical (there was never anything seen on the ultrasounds). The first time I started spotting on a Saturday and just put my feet up because it was brown spotting. When I was still spotting that Monday I called the triage nurse (that's the person at my clinic who handles these things) and told them what was happening and I went in for betas. I hadn't yet called to make my first appointment. The second one the spotting started out red and I called immediately and the same thing happened. I would at least call and tell them what's up. I do like that both of mine are now on my chart and when I see my doctor or call in they know my history with that. I think that if you don't start bleeding on your own within a few days that I'd definitely call to rule out anything else going on.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It's really up to you, if you start bleeding soon then I would probably just wait and tell them about it when you get your next BFP just so they know. But if you don't, you may want to go in so they can get the process started for you.

I didn't know until I started bleeding that things were going wrong, so I can't be sure what I would've done in your situation.

I'm so sorry
  • Options
    Jpinky9 said:
    I am so sorry for your loss! I had an early loss in October at 6-7 weeks. The day I started to miscarry I had an appt with the dr anyway. However, because I am RH- I had to go to the hospital to get a rhogam shot. I am not sure if that is necessary with a chemical pregnancy or not. I really am sorry for your loss, it's an awful thing to experience! Big hugs to you!
    I'm Rh- too...I didn't think of that...I called to cancel my appointment but didn't do anything past that.
    FTM baby boy born Jan 2015
  • Options

Jpinky9 said:

I'm Rh- too...I didn't think of that...I called to cancel my appointment but didn't do anything past that.

Yeah I would call the dr and see what they want you to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"