One & Done: Only child

Purging baby stuff

DH thinks the fact that I turn into a sobbing blob every time I sort through LO's stuff is proof that I'm not sure we're OAD. My emotion has nothing to do with wanting another and everything to do with being nostalgic for my tiny squish. How long has it taken you to get rid of all your baby stuff? We're moving when DS is 25mo, and I think I'll be ready to purge.

Re: Purging baby stuff

• eyenigheyenigh member
    edited January 2014
    OhBenji said:

I get rid of DS clothes as he outgrows them. I only kept few items from when he was a baby.

I hate clutter so I don't keep it unless we'll use it again.

Same here. When he outgrows, it goes, with the exception of a few things that I just loved and loved the memory that went along with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We also purge as he outgrows it. I generally limit myself to keeping one outfit per size, but sometimes I'll end up with 2 in one size and none in another. This is partly to keep me from keeping everything and also to keep me from purging everything (I go through "everything must go!" phases, and want to protect my future self's desire to reminisce.).

It does make me seriously sentimental looking back at his baby clothes as he outgrows them (toddler clothes don't affect me as much...) but sentimental does not equal wanting to have another.
  • Loading the player...
  • It's not even like most of the clothes cost much - most were hand me downs and resale. But I keep thinking of the times he wore them and melt!
  • I kept a few clothing items for nostalgia. I gave away the big items. We have a few friends with boys younger than ds. I send them home with bags a few times a year. When I was cleaning the basement, we just found a sleeve of diapers. Ds has been potty trained 1.5 years. I couldn't get rid of them fast enough!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I purged baby stuff maybe 1 year or so after she outgrew them. I tucked them away for a bit, to see if any friends or family could use.. and then donated what wasn't used to goodwill.   Now I just have her "coming home" outfit saved.  And I purge a bit quicker now.
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • I am getting rid of stuff as she grows out of them. My best friend is due in March with a girl so she is pretty much inheriting a whole wardrobe from me. I understand being emotional though, I still get all sappy just folding LO's clothes now and I am talking about the ones that still fit her.

• I was the same way until last summer. I sold a lot of things at a tag sale and gave away most of the clothes. I kept some special things but I found it very freeing to get it out of the house. DS was 2 1/2 when I was ready to let it go :)
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I finally went through and got rid of DS stuff and he is almost 5!  It was so mentally freeing and really made me hop off of the fence about whether we were OAD.  I saved a small container with sentimental outfits and the rest was sold at a kids consignment sale.  Now I keep a running bin with stuff to send to consignment sales in the fall and spring.
  • I started when mine was 1. Went to a consignment store and got sad watching them go thru her stuff! This past year we gave away all thr big stuff. Then surprise.....a few months later....prego again. Had to start from scratch!
  • We donate as he outgrows clothes, toys, gear, etc. I lovvvve getting rid of things because I hate clutter. Getting rid of the super bulky baby gear (swing, jumper, etc.) was great. 
  • We donate as he outgrows clothes, toys, gear, etc. I lovvvve getting rid of things because I hate clutter. Getting rid of the super bulky baby gear (swing, jumper, etc.) was great. 

Same here. It is very cleansing for me to get rid of unnecessary stuff!  DS is still in his crib though, and I think I will have a hard time parting with the crib when the time comes.
    DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"