Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Moms who swaddle ARMS IN, or used to, please come in!

Hello! my 12 week old sleeps in the halo sleep sack with his arms swaddled in (in his crib). He does not roll over yet. A few days ago I tried putting him to bed with his arms swaddled out, but he kept waking up. So my question is, did your LO's just grow out of needing to have their arms swaddled on their own? Did you break them of it because they starting rolling over so it wasn't safe? I'm happy for him to sleep this way as long as he needs, I am just worried once he starts to roll that it won't be safe.

Re: Moms who swaddle ARMS IN, or used to, please come in!

• I did not use a sleep sack but my LO started breaking out of his swaddle around 2 months. The first few nights he woke up more frequently but eventually got use to having his arms out and now sleeps with his arms up by his head.
  • I stopped at the first roll, I read that it's very dangerous after that. We had a few rough nights, and it was over. Besides, once both my girls found their new belly position, they looooooved it. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • We stopped because she is getting close to rolling over. We first just kept one arm out for about 2 weeks, then kept both arms out but still wrapped the swaddle part around her belly. It really didn't affect her too much or cause a sleep regression.
  • We did the same as melisaan starting at 4 months. She now sleeps just fine without any swaddle and actually enjoys being able to stretch and suck on her hands when she wants!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • At some point between 3-4 months LO began to HATE the swaddle.  He would get angry and lurch around in it and yell, and when we would take the swaddle off he would dramatically fling his arms out and free.  So we switched to footed jammies, even before he could roll, and everything was fine.  He goes down a lot easier and usually has two 5-6 hour stretches.
  • Check out the Baby Merline Magic Sleepsuit.  They are designed to be a good transition out of the swaddle.  They are kind of pricey on the website but I found a used one on ebay.  LO is 4 months and we are still using the sleepsack but I'm planning on moving him into the sleepsuit soon.

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• That flailing they do that wakes them is a reflex (the Moro reflex) and babies grow out of it usually around 3 months.  We still have our LO swaddled arms-in (she's only 10 weeks, though) because if she's not, she either takes forever to fall asleep or wakes herself from flailing after less than an hour, every time.
    Yes! This is what happens to my DS. 
  • At 4 months we started with just one arm swaddled. We did that for a few nights. Now he sleeps in the halo nonswaddle sack.
  • We transitioned from the swaddle to the Baby Merlin Magic Sleepsuit fairly smoothly, and from there we have been able to change it up with arms-out sleep sacks. I'm a Baby Merlin believer.
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Does the Merlin Suit keep them from moving their arms around?
  • LO started busting his arms on on his own so we just stopped and he has been fine with it, 4 months now.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"