April 2014 Moms
Options

I guess I'm being induced at 37 weeks?!

Just got home from my regular doctors appt. I've had borderline high blood pressure this whole time. About 130/70 with a couple visits in the 140s early on. My last appt they mentioned doing regular non stress tests starting at 34 weeks to make sure he is ok. Then today she informed me that new evidence shows better outcomes for moms with high blood pressure to be induced at 37 weeks, prior to getting any symptoms of pre-e. Basically they said it is highly likely I would get pre-e and they want him out before I started to become sick (protein in urine, toxemia, platelet dysfunction etc). I freaked out at first but I guess I will have to get over it. This moves my induction date to the week of March 24 instead of my due date of April 14 :/ Has anyone else been told this? I'm trying not to worry too much. Thanks!
Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I guess I'm being induced at 37 weeks?!

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I had high blood pressure readings when I was pregnant. They got to be pretty bad. I had NST's twice weekly. That being said, being induced wasn't brought up until 37w3d. I was also doing weekly 24urine catches though. There was never any sign of pre-e. My OB thought it was way better for me to be closer to 38 weeks. DD was born on exactly 38 weeks.

Have you had any other signs of pre-e?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
    Pinterest:misskristina22
    Instagram:misskristina26
  • Options
    I have high BP and my doc hasn't said this.  I was induced with DS at 39 w 4d because of it though.  I'm being sent for an US at 35 weeks to check on growth because of my BP though.

Have they tried to control it with meds at all first before suggesting an induction?
    First we had you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Then we had you.

Now we are complete.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have any other signs of pre e. And today my blood pressure was 100/60 and I haven't been put on any meds. Now it seems like it's really early for them to be mentioning all of this considering my BP was so good this time.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    sounds like they might be a little premature on trying to force you to schedule-induce. Unless you have other signs of pre-e, borderline high blood pressure should be monitored sure but it sounds like it might be controllable with other methods. If it were me I would be making sure that they really gave me all the facts. I want my kid to cook till he's good and ready....
  • Options
    That is not THAT high... Other than those readings what else has made your OB assume your will have PE? I had high BP with ds and went on bed rest and still ended up with and emergency csection at 36 weeks. He was not ready and spent almost 2 weeks in the nicu. All that to say I hate when doctors are too quick to get babies out just because there is a chance there might be a problem...it just seems early to assume that you will have PE to the point of needing to take the baby 3 weeks early. Of course I don't know all the details and I am certainly not a medical professional!
  • Options

oh? You feeling okay about it?

I have an appointment tomorrow. My blood pressure was high last time but they said we will see in a month. I'm hoping its normal. This is an April baby not a march baby!!!

Emily

• Options
    I'm seeing a high risk for cholestasis every week. They are also concerned about my blood pressure and said that at any appointment, they could tell me that I'm going to the hospital to deliver. Of course, unless it's just a huge emergency, I should be okay until 34-36 weeks (I'm 29w3d) but I will more than likely be induced at 37 to 38 weeks because of the cholestasis on top of high blood pressure.
  • Options
    They are having me do follow up testing to check for Pre-E, so I was just talking to my OB about this yesterday. She said that IF my protein levels test high enough to be considered pre-e, they would start twice/week NST and induce at 37 weeks. She said if BP stayed ok (which she said was not over 140/90 and even that wouldn't be a # that meant something had to be done immediately) and protein didn't reach pre-e levels, they would continue as normal, just with weekly appointments to keep an eye on things. She has a lot of experience with high risk pregnancies, and from what she told me with BP numbers like yours she probably wouldn't even order extra testing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
    imageimage

• Options
    My BP is high every time I am at the doctor. They take it twice and it's always quite a bit lower the second time so they think it's nerves. "White coat syndrome" the nurse called it.
    So I've been going to a pharmacy 3 times a week all month to have my BP done on this machine. It's perfect everytime. I was 119/78 yesterday. I hope that makes my OB happy! We'll see at the appointment next week.
    YCSWU
  • Options
    KjrisiKjrisi member
    edited January 2014
    I have a high MPV count (mean platelet volume, meaning my platelets are getting bigger) my platelet count is 162 when the average ranges from 100-400 (which is another sign of pre-e) and my bp Tuesday was 138/82. Oh and I'm almost constantly swollen. But the ob didn't seem worried but the medical care is terrible down here. I'm going back home to my ob that delivered DD because I don't trust the ob here. You're most likely fine love :) don't stress
  • Options
    HNRomance said:

sounds like they might be a little premature on trying to force you to schedule-induce. Unless you have other signs of pre-e, borderline high blood pressure should be monitored sure but it sounds like it might be controllable with other methods. If it were me I would be making sure that they really gave me all the facts. I want my kid to cook till he's good and ready....

I agree. Based on the info you gave your doctor sounds wreckless to me. My bp with ds was something/88. I was told they only worry about the bottom number. I was told to take it easy, and as long I developed no signs of pe I just needed to take it easy. I was also told that if my bottom number was over 90 they would put me on bed rest to see Iif they could get bp down. My midwives feel it is best to let baby determine when they are ready and not force/rush things unless it is critical.
  • Options

I agree w/PP's that it seems your doc is jumping the gun a bit.  I would talk to her about it at your next appt.  If it were me, I would want to defer an induction unless it is truly warranted.  Also, is it a multi-OB practice?  If so, can you try to get an appt with one of the other docs next time to see what their thought is on it? 

That being said, IF there is a reason to induce @ 37 wks that is considered full term and baby should be fine.  I know ideally you would want the LO in there longer - I am just saying if there is really a need for it, your baby would be ok.  DS decided to come into the world on his own at 37.5 wks and he was perfectly fine.  This PG I have to be prepared for LO to arrive at around the same time, just in case.

• Options
    My BP is somewhere between  sis 120-135 / dia 70-80 . And it once reached 140 and twice 145 sistolic ( I`m taking it few times a day, since 23 weeks).  My doctor said that if we keep it below 140 sis, even a natural birth would be an option.  No swelling or protein in urine yet.
    BabyFruit Ticker

imageimageimage
    Baby# 1 - gone at 6 weeks - Oct 2009
    Baby# 2 ( beloved girl Maria) -stillbirth at 31 weeks - Apr 2013
    Baby# 3 EDD April 2014 - Hope it`s our take home baby

*sorry for grammar mistakes, I learned english pretty much by myself.

• Options
    I have had pre-e twice before and am on meds now to control BP. I was induced with my first but that was after they diagnosed pre-e. Even though I'm at risk with this baby the doc is still not going to do my c-section until 39 weeks UNLESS I develop pre e again. I say wait it out. There is a reason babies are suppose to cook until they decide it's time to go :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"