Natural Birth
Options

Starting Bradley Late

So I'm starting the Bradley Method classes tonight... they go for 12 weeks, and I'm already 32 weeks pregnant today

I talked to the instructor and she seemed to think it was alright.  Said she would try to fit everything in that I would need.
I'm just curious though- has anyone here taken these classes?  Am I going to be missing a ton by not going to class the last few weeks or so?  Granted, hopefully I'll make it to the full 40, but even then I'll be missing some

Oh, and my husband and I are reading the Bradley Method book right now
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
BabyFruit Tickerimage

Re: Starting Bradley Late

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much.  If you read a Bradley book and go through the Bradley workbook, I would think you'll be okay with only have 8 or so weeks of class.  The classes are thorough, but if the instructor is willing to give you advance information, you can learn it on your own.  For me, the most valuable part of Bradley was educating DS, learning about when interventions may or may not be necessary, the questions to ask if an intervention is being pushed on you, and learning the stages of labor.  Honestly, the positions and relaxation techniques didn't do that much for me because during labor, I just followed what my body wanted to do in terms of positions. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Our last two classes were the least helpful, comparatively speaking. The final one could have been skipped entirely. We had our last class 6 days before I went into labor.

If I were you, I'd read two sections/chapters at a time (per week) and then discuss with your instructor any questions you have on the second chapter at the end of each class. That way, if you don't make the full 12 weeks of class, you would still have covered the material somewhat with the instructor.

And, for me/us, the most important sections (once we got to L&D) were: the birth process, typical interventions, informed consent and relaxation techniques. Maybe read up on those each week?

Good luck! I really enjoyed our classes and feel like they were instrumental in helping us achieve our pain-med free birth.
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think the most important classes are in the beginning. They talk about relaxation, early labor, positions, transition etc. I found the first 8-10 ish weeks to be the most helpful. Towards the end they covered postpartum info, breastfeeding, newborn procedures etc. All of the info was helpful but I like the positions/relaxation info in the first part of the class and found that most useful when I was in labor.
  • Options
    I had DD 5 weeks early so I missed our last two classes. I'm sure the instructor will tell you everything you need to know. 

I was induced with Pit and still didn't get an epidural. I don't think I would have been able to make it without the Bradley classes. Loved them!

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"