Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Ovarian Cyst Rupture (Intro)

Hi! I am a dirty lurker and I planned to do a normal introduction on CD1 before joining in conversations.... but life rarely goes as planned.

This is my first cycle TTC after taking the BCP for 6-7 years.  I have read the Newbie Bible Blog. I am temping and tracking with FF...I love data. I promise never to ask if I'm pregnant- I bought a pack of 50 wondfo HPTs... so I'll ask them.  Also, I fully understand that one of the Fs in FFFC is just a fun little trick ;)  I prefer honesty and facts (even a little snark) over false hope (or baby dust).   My first cycle temping seemed to be going well and FF gave me cross hairs on CD17.

On 6 DPO, I went to an immediate care center for sharp abdominal pains on the right side (I couldn't even stand up straight).  They sent me to the hospital because they thought I had appendicitis.  The CT scan at the hospital detected that I have a 5cm cyst on my right ovary that looks like it ruptured because it has fluid around it.  I was told to make an appointment within 1-2 days with my ob/gyn (I have an appointment for tomorrow morning).  I'm still having dull pains, very bloated, nausea, and a little bit worried/scared.

I don't know anyone who has experienced an ovarian cyst rupture but Dr. Google assures me that this is actually very common and may even go away on it's own without surgery.  I hope that is the case and that we will be cleared to try again next cycle. Would any of you be willing to share your experiences with ovarian cysts with me?

TL;DR  I'm a stranger who has been reading your conversations about TTC for months and  I would like to hear about your experiences with ovarian cysts. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Ovarian Cyst Rupture (Intro)

• Options
    Hazel622Hazel622 member
    edited January 2014
    @katnhiding Thank you for sharing your experience!  I'm glad you went to the hospital the time it was appendicitis- instead of just thinking it was another cyst. 

Edit to add the tag

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had an ovarian cyst rupture a couple years ago and MAN, that freaking HURTS! Though I will tell you, when I went to the hospital they called my OB/GYN (who happened to be on call, bless her heart) and she did an emergency surgery a couple hours later to remove it. It was a laprascopic surgery so the recovery was cake, but it was a scary ordeal! Have you told your OB/GYN about the cyst rupturing when you called to make the appt?
    Mrs. H
    Crohn's Dx: August 2008
    Endometriosis Dx: May 2010
    Married: 05/19/2012
    TTC #1: June 2013
    BFP: December 2013
    DS: Born 08/29/2014
    TTC #2: July 2015

BFP #2: September 25, 2015

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @katnhiding Thanks for that info-  it'll be good to know if this happens to be a reoccurring issue for me.  I can't believe it took them 10 hours to determine it was your appendix- sorry you went through that!

@NLewis1 Thank you for sharing your experience!  I told them about the cyst and the hospital faxed over my paperwork.  I'm so glad to hear that your laprascopic surgery went well.  I still hope my cyst goes away on its own.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have any experience with ruptured cysts, but I just wanted to say welcome and good luck!
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Options
    Hi and welcome.

Years ago before I had my second child when I came off BC I had a cyst rupture. It was so painful I just passed out and came to when my ex husband was trying to carry me to the car. I went to the Er they just did blood work to rule out appendix, my ob ordered an us a few days later and they saw a cyst. This was about 17 yrs ago my memory isn't that great but I think he told me it wasn't a big deal that it happens sometimes. Anyway I had a few on and off for a year rupture then I had my son and I've never had one rupture since.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options
    Welcome! I enjoyed your intro!

I had a cyst rupture last spring and it was super painful. I was fine and then suddenly started having a horrible tummy ache. I tried to give it time to pass but it just kept getting more intense. I was sweating and my heart was racing horribly. It would come and go but after I passed out, we finally went to the ER. My cyst ruptured but didn't pass so I was bleeding internally. It was the worst pain I've ever experienced (and I've been through childbirth, appendicitis and gall bladder stones!) and had to have surgery to remove the cyst.  Unless the pain is intense for you, I'd just wait it out until your appointment tomorrow. You will know if it becomes an emergency. I think you should be fine waiting.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    vrj0522 said:
    Welcome! I enjoyed your intro!

I had a cyst rupture last spring and it was super painful. I was fine and then suddenly started having a horrible tummy ache. I tried to give it time to pass but it just kept getting more intense. I was sweating and my heart was racing horribly. It would come and go but after I passed out, we finally went to the ER. My cyst ruptured but didn't pass so I was bleeding internally. It was the worst pain I've ever experienced (and I've been through childbirth, appendicitis and gall bladder stones!) and had to have surgery to remove the cyst.  Unless the pain is intense for you, I'd just wait it out until your appointment tomorrow. You will know if it becomes an emergency. I think you should be fine waiting.

Oh man, it sounds like you had it way worse than me- I'm sorry to hear that!  I'm definitely going to wait it out until my appointment.  I really hope mine passes.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Cantisa said:
    Welcome! I too had a cyst rupture when I was younger. It was so painful for days and days and I was in and out of the ER because they didn't know what was wrong with me until my mom finally demanded they admit me because she didn't have morphine at home (the only thing that made it better). By the time they found it after transvaginal ultrasound and rectal exams when I was 17 (traumatic) it had ruptured and I got my period immediately. Go figure. Never had one again. Also as a side note, I had just broken up with my boyfriend at the time and apparently he told everyone I "went crazy" because of the break up and that is why I was in the hospital. Classy!

In regards to the bold- way to add insult to injury.  Ugh, I'm sorry you went through that!  I'm glad to hear that cyst was a one time occurrence for you. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Just wanted to say welcome!

imageimage
  • Options
    Yikes, sorry to hear you've had a rough time with this cyst thing.

My doctor discovered some cysts on my ovaries about 6 or 7 years ago. I had an ultrasound because they were making sure my IUD was still in its proper place (I felt something weird so was worried it moved or something). They noticed some cysts, one was apparently 10cm, so they had me in for a follow-up ultrasound  a few weeks later. I think that cyst must have shrank on its own because there was no concern or follow up after that. 

Now that I'm thinking about it, I woke up in the middle of the night with a few minutes of sharp pains a few weeks ago...and I had a randomly long cycle last month. Maybe a cyst could be an explanation. 

In any case, I've had very regular and normal cycles (mostly) in spite of discovering cysts several years ago. If I still have them they haven't been bothersome that I know of. I'm not going to worry about it until and if we hit the 1 year TTC mark. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hazel622Hazel622 member
    edited January 2014
    @brettanomyces I'm glad to hear that your cysts cleared up on their own and that you haven't had any troubles with them since.  I am hopeful that this will be the case for me as well. 

Edit: typo  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Welcome! I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with an ovarian cyst.

I was non-surgically (by ultrasound) diagnosed with endometriosis 6-7 years ago, and part of that was experiencing 3 ovarian cysts rupture within a 12-month time period. There were varying levels of pain, the worst having me flat on the floor, screaming, for 15 minutes--I'm sure I would have gone to the ER if I wouldn't have been home alone and it hadn't gone away. The weird thing was, after that 15 minutes, the pain was completely gone.

When that happened multiple times in a year, my ob/gyn ordered an ultrasound, and saw 4-5 more ovarian cysts that hadn't ruptured yet. They tried treating it with BCP, which didn't work, so then I did 6 months of Lupron, which cleared everything up nicely, at least for the time being. All that to say, no surgery here! And also, ovarian cysts are relatively common, and I do think it's common for them to clear up on their own.

I hope that's somewhat helpful.  :)

BabyFruit Ticker  image
  • Options
    Welcome!

When I was a teen I had several ovarian cysts that ruptured and went away on their own.  I haven't had one in over 10 years.  But it hurt like a bitch when I would get them.

Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • Options
    Welcome! I can't say that I have experienced this like you have! Sounds terrible and I'm sorry you have to go through it! I hope everything with the Dr turns out OK and you start to feel better very soon!

Birthday
    Anniversary
    TTC #1 since June 2013
    April 2014: Diagnosed with PCOS and Hypothyroidism

imageimageimage
    imageimage

• Options
    Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome!  And thank you to everyone who shared their experience! :)

Update: My Dr. recommended that we TTA for the next cycle.  If I have no problems after that, I'll be cleared to start trying again.  I noticed that some people post in TWW and Waiting to O even while avoiding, so I think I will head over there.   
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Welcome and good luck!  I don't have any cyst info to share, but I hope that this is just a one time problem for you and that things go smoothly from there!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"