2nd Trimester
Options

coughing and sneezing while pregnant

NADA-HNADA-H member
edited January 2014 in 2nd Trimester
hi all,

I heard of women having a trickle when coughing or sneezing while pregnant, that hadn't happened to me yet and hopefully never!

I do however get this really bad pain in my lower abdomen when I have a bad cough or a sneeze, been sick lately so I notice it even more. I feel like am ripping a stitch or something, did this happen to anyone else? what is the cause of that pain? this only started after I got pregnant. I'm very fit and barely showing to myself only, no bump but the pain is at the middle point between my pubic bone and belly button right where the hardening slight arch starts
imageimage
God Bless You my Little One
Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
Farida, at 8 weeks

Re: coughing and sneezing while pregnant

• Options
    Round ligament pain. I'm sorry!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Ditto above. round ligament pain. I tend to get the pain mostly on my right side and so when I feel a sneeze coming on or blow my nose, I'll prop my right let up on something or lift that leg in general to avoid the straining sensation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    RLP...completely normal, but can be painful!

Married - 12/2011  TTC #1 - 8/2013 

BFP - 10/14/2013 EDD June 20, 2014

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    The only thing I have found is to make sure I move into a better position when I feel a sneeze or cough coming to alleviate some of the pressure and tension.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Options
    Round ligament pain is the worst.  I never had it with my two previous pregnancies, but this time it has been horrible this time around.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have this issue daily, if I can I tuck my legs up into a ball when I feel a sneeze or cough coming on and it seems to help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Hold the bottom of your belly & push up gently to cradle it a bit when you cough/sneeze. That has helped me when I was pregnant!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    You may also start to feel that same pain if you make certain movements too quickly, too.  I sometimes get it while getting out of my car or getting out of bed.  I first noticed it with a sneeze though, too, and it freaked me out a little! 

• Options
    I've found that some yoga lunging helps me to "stretch" the round ligament with less pain.  I had it when sneezing too, and it's a lot better to slowly stretch it yourself.  My prenatal yoga video has lunges all over the place; just get in downward dog, and keep one leg back, putting the other forward at the level of your hands.  Lift up your hands, and you're in a lunge!  If you stretch your arms up, it helps in stretching the round ligament.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Agree with others, find whatever position works for you and try and get there before you cough or sneeze, because otherwise it HURTS.  Fingers crossed that I don't get a respiratory infection this winter...
  • Options
    thank God am feeling better now. thanks for all the input ladies I will try to work on my positions and I am starting prenatal yoga soon hopefully it will help.

being sick with an allergy and sneezing so many times in a row is so not fun
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Options
    I empathize!  I'm 18 weeks and was already feeling a lot of ligament pain, now I've caught a cold.  Not only does the coughing/sneezing make the pain worse, but yes, there's been some definite pee leakage, lol!  
  • Options
    HA! You're having a baby! After baby is born you'll start leaking when you cough and sneeze! I guarantee it!! But It really only happens when you kinda have to pee. As for now, it's just the stretching /pulling that comes with pregnancy. It's normal. It hurts like a SOB. but it's normal!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"