Babies: 9 - 12 Months

11 Month Tantrums

My 11 1/2 month old has just this week started throwing tantrums.. which seems really early to be starting those 'Terrible Twos'!  
Does anyone else have experience with this, and any recommendations?  She twists her head to the side and stiffens up and starts thrashing and throwing her head.  It's really scary because I'm worried that she's going to hit her head on something and hurt herself.  So far it usually starts when she's happy playing and we have to lay her down to change her diaper/clothes. We gently/firmly hold her down and tell her NO, while continuing to change her.  Not sure if we should just walk away (while keeping an eye on her obviously) so we're not engaging with her when she's acting like that, or if we should have a 'tantrum timeout corner' or something.. or if we should just try to hold her when she's crying/thrashing.  Any advice would be welcomed! 

Re: 11 Month Tantrums

• My opinion..... I don't believe in or like "time outs"... They have it's place but she's 11 months old. If she doesn't enjoy getting changed (my DS doesn't either), I take a small break and then try again. I also put clothes on him while he's sitting up or crawling away lol. I think she's teaching you patience. You could also read up on the happiest toddler on the block
  • I did get a lot out of Happiest Baby on the Block, didn't even know that they had one for Toddlers! Thanks for the recommendation, I'll order a copy.
  • Loading the player...
  • DD has started a sort of tantrum at 9 1/2 months.  If I don't let her play with something or go into an area she wants to go into she looks at me and starts her fake cry/whine.  I just talk to her calmly and try to reroute her attention to something else.  It doesn't always work and she sometimes bangs her hands on her legs like she's angry but I go with it.  I tell her all the time "you can't always do what you want to do."  It's hilarious to listen to myself and I am not looking forward to her teenage years . . .
  • We are here too! DS will be 11 months next week.

He definitely HATES the changing table. We try to give him something to play with while lying on the table (and rotate so he doesn't get tired of the same old thing) but when that doesn't work, I merely grit my teeth, get the job done as quickly as possible, and then move him to his crib. I often change his clothes there because he seems all around happier to be standing up and watching what's going on around him than lying on his back without any control.

Little T Born 2/26/13
    TTC #2 since August 2014
    BFP #2: 4/15/15 * EDD: 12/19/15 * MMC: 5/7/15
    BFP #3: 7/23/15 * EDD: 3/29/16

• YES! My almost 11month old is doing the same. The easiest going kid ever but you do a diaper change or wash her hands/face and she loses it.  I just grit my teeth and do it with a smile.  It'll pass.  I sometimes try to get her to laugh (blow raspberries on her belly) but usually she just keeps screaming so I just go for speed.

She has started doing it when I prevent her from doing something she wants...true tantrum style. 

I've worked with young children for years.  I've worked with a lot of tantrum children.  The stage passes quickly if you respond firm, kind and consistent.  For me, I will lie the child down, walk away and when they lose their audience they stop, get up and come looking for you (nearby put out of eye sight).  Then continue on like usual, give hugs if they seek it...distract but don't give what they were seeking.  They learn that they don't get what they wanted by screaming and they don't get attention.  By lying them down they don't get the attention from a crash to the floor hurting themselves.

THE CATCH...at 11months I just don't know that this is yet appropriate!  This ahs always been 2yrs+ in my past.  So far I just pick my daughter up and leave the area she was spazzing out in.  She usually screams louder but soon stops when something catches her attention.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"