May 2014 Moms
Options

Sensitive Teeth Question

Hoping this question isn't flame worthy. haha. 

STM here, with my first, my teeth were fine. This time they are SO SENSITIVE!! I've had 2 cavities filled during this pregnancy and although I thought that would help with the sensitivity, it hasn't.  I have googled whether or not using Sensodyne is safe during pregnancies and I will of course ask my doctor at my next appointment, but just curious if any of you ladies are using it or have already asked. TIA!
Baby #2 is on the way!!
BabyFetus Ticker

Baby #1!
Charles Edward 4/13/12 
9 lbs 2 oz 22 & 3/4 inches
Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sensitive Teeth Question

• Options
    I haven't used it myself but I've considered it as my teeth have been really sensitive too. I'm sure it's fine though as long as you're not eating it. There's only tiny amount of potassium nitrate in there and from that only a microscopic amount that you'd injest in normal toothbrushing.
  • Options
    Honestly I never thought to check. I've been using a sensitive whitening toothpaste for a couple years now. Without it I can't eat much. I haven't heard of it being cause for worry though.
    imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I switched to a child's soft toothbrush everything else hurt too much! I think Sensodyne is fine if you use it for all brushings or once a day (morning would be best). I apparently turned into a mouth breather at night and have horrible dry mouth so I also use Biotene at night. 
    It's amazing what pregnancy affects in the body!  
    Married 5/5/12 ~ Miscarried @ 6wks 7/1/13 ~ Has Pacemaker ~ Due May 7th
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I can't believe how sensitive my teeth have become this time! @LeeLee86 I have also become a mouth breather, thanks for the tip!
    Baby #2 is on the way!!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby #1!
    Charles Edward 4/13/12 
    9 lbs 2 oz 22 & 3/4 inches
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I use Sensodyne Prenamal and my dentist hasn't said anything to me. I've been to him several times this pregnancy because I had a tooth infection and had to get a route canal. I saw him just yesterday because my crown was still bothering me from the route canal. He told me there's nothing wrong with it, I'm just sore because I'm pregnant. He's had lots of pregnant patients that have wacko teeth problems when pregnant and there's no reason for them.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    I've been using Sensodyne.  My teeth are always sensitive, but have been even moreso during pregnancy.  If you notice any gum bleeding, go see your dentist asap as it could be pregnancy gingivitis!  I just found out on Friday that I had this, and apparently it's very common!  (More info on my blog below if interested.)
  • Options
    I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but I've had a lot of pain in my teeth and jaw during both pregnancies. I doubled up on my calcium supplement, and that made a huge difference. I think if the baby needs calcium, it's easiest for your body to leech it from your teeth, which would lead to sensitivity.
  • Options
    Yes, it's safe. Any "sensitive" labeled toothpaste containing potassium nitrate is fine. Doesn't have to be Sensodyne.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"