Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Nap Problems!!

I just spent an hour trying to get my little guy down for his morning nap.  He fell asleep fine in my arms in the glider, second he went to the crib, awake.  I tried this cycle twice and finally, I put him on his belly.  He's snoozing (he's 4 mths).  I am closely watching the monitor of course.  Any tips for getting LO to nap in crib or for long stretches?  He barely makes an hour. Weirdest thing is, he doesn't fight his bedtime in the crib. I'm just nervous for when I go back to work next week, work at home one day w/ him and send him to his daycare.  Hoping it's a phase and one day we'll get some serious nap times!?!!
BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Nap Problems!!

• Options
    This could have been written by me.  Our little guy sleeps well in his crib at night but I too have struggled with naps for him ( he is 4 1/2 months).  Your little guy may be going through a 'wakeful phase' where everything around him is so interesting to him suddenly that he doesn't want to sleep (even though he needs it).  If that is the case, 1 hour naps might be all he will really want to do for a little while.

Some things I have found helpful in the past few weeks:
    -  Start the nap routine about 10 minutes before you even think he's tired.  This way by the time he is yawning you're already getting him ready for a nap.  Better this than trying to settle him down when he's fussing.
    -  Consistency.  Whatever routine you land on with him for naps, do it every day even if sometimes he won't nap.  For us, nap time starts with lullabies from noise machine and some quiet stories.
    - Wearing him down:  About 30 min before I think a nap should happen sometimes I put our little guy in the Ergo and walk around his room with music on and lights dimmed.  This seems to put him in a much calmer state for the eventual nap. 

Honestly, if your guy can take a few 1 hour naps during the day right now I wouldn't mess with it too much - that may just be all he needs to be refreshed.  When our guy wakes up from naps and a few attempts at soothing him back down fail I just take him out for some awake time and try a nap in about 90 minutes.

Good luck!  I've been told that once they are more mobile this process can get easier - I certainly hope that is the case!
    DS1: 9/4/2013
    DS2: 10/23/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Thanks so much!  It helps to know it's not just us haha.  I have learned putting him down when he's not completely cranky helps.  Here we go again...wish me luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Same here! I don't bother trying to soothe him back to sleep after he wakes up for an hour because he just simply won't. My oldest was the same way. Just when you're about to start something around the house, they wake up. Gotta love them! And as they get older and more active...it is much easier and they will def. sleep longer...once my oldest hit 8 months he was taking two long naps a day (2-3 hr) and then come 13 months, he just stopped and only did one 2-3 hour nap a day. Good luck! Keep truckin' mama!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I would do what you can but don't stress too much. Most of the working moms I know have their care providers report that baby sleeps beautifully for them at DC. This too shall pass.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Normal. Short naps are very normal at this age. Honestly, don't stress about trying to get him to sleep longer, just roll with it.  Naps will lengthen as he gets older (closer to 6m) but in the mean time have a good wind-down routine, stay consistent and be patient.  When he has a regression (and he will), and goes on a complete napping strike, stay consistent and he will fall back.

• Options
    I was just about to start a topic about this as well. My DS will be 3 months this coming Monday and every since he hit 1 1/2 months he hardly takes any day time naps. Some days he will be OK, but majority of the time not so much. He usually naps while he nurses but as soon as I lay him down in his crib he will wake up. I may mention I have been trying to get him to nap during the day in his crib and he still sleeps in his bassinet in our room at night. Trying to get him use to the crib before we try nights. He sleeps awesome at nights. Just during the day I have to fight with him to actually nap. Nice to know that I am not the only one going through this right now. 
  • Options
    From what I have been reading/heard, once they become a little more mobile, we can expect better/longer naps.  I also just tried calming him down/rocking before putting him in the crib and it has made a world of a difference.  He's still swaddled too...so I'm sure once we are out of that it will be a whole new story/problem!
  • Options
    Yeah mine only naps on me after nursing or sometimes her swing..

We fight at night to get her to sleep on her own too she usually ends up with me in bed
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My little one has decided that naps are for suckers today.  All the usual stuff isn't working so I'm just letting him play in his bouncing seat.  The 'baby Merlin Sleep Suit' has been working great for him for naps and at night.  The only problem is that he likes to be nursed to sleep and that thing is so awkward and bulky we really can't nurse in a way that is comfortable.  And of course when I nurse him and get him groggy and then try to put him into the sleep suit he gets all riled up from the process that he's awake again.

Sigh.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

My little one has decided that naps are for suckers today.  All the usual stuff isn't working so I'm just letting him play in his bouncing seat.  The 'baby Merlin Sleep Suit' has been working great for him for naps and at night.  The only problem is that he likes to be nursed to sleep and that thing is so awkward and bulky we really can't nurse in a way that is comfortable.  And of course when I nurse him and get him groggy and then try to put him into the sleep suit he gets all riled up from the process that he's awake again.

Sigh.
    I'm thinking of getting this suit.. It looks really warm though. Looks like a snow suit! Worried it's my LO will get too hot.
  • Options
    my DD started this at 8-9 week. at the end of the day, she is so fussy for 30 min because she is too tired. for me extra nursing session worked. apparently she now likes to nurse before sleeping. sometimes it's too soon after she's been fed so i give her EBM in a bottle. now she is 12 weeks old and does better with napping in the crib - 45 min each time. but her eat/sleep pattern keeps changing so I am not sure how long this will last.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was worried about the same thing because my kids are natural sweat boxes, but my friend said her boy sweats a lot too and the suit doesn't cause him to sweat anymore than he does.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yes my LO gets sweaty esp when she falls asleep in my arms

I think I'm going to buy the suit.. I wonder if any stores has it. I am in Canada so not sure how the shipping would be
  • Options
    I was also worried about it being too warm but it seems breathable- we put him in it in a long sleeved onesie and lightweight footed pants and he does not seem sweaty or overheated.

We're on day 4 of using it and he's starting to really get the hang of it and sleep a bit better.

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"