Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Weight slowing down

DS was average size at birth, hardly lost anything at the hospital, came home & gained a pound in 4 days. He doubled his birth weight in 3 months, always in the 97th percentile. He grew FAST! He is a heavy, chunky money with rolls everywhere. But now I'm noticing his weight has realllly slowed down, been about the same since September/October, has gained maybe 2lbs?? He hasn't been weighed by the doctor since November. Everyone said his weight will slow down once he's active & he is SUPER active so I'm assuming that's the cause for the slow down? He still eats lots, meeting milestones, wet diapers etc (although we're dealing with some constipation now if that matters???) is it ok that his weight is slowing down this much?? I have not noticed a "growth spurt" since July. Dr's appt coming up soon but I wanted to see your experience.

Last visit he went from 55-60th percentile for height to under 50. Dr wasn't worried but it kind of worried me since they said they want him to stay on the same curve

Re: Weight slowing down

• Options
    This has happened to us too. DD has always been really tall - 97% and 50% for weight. In the past few months she has not gained any more weight and she dropped to I think 65% for height (cant really remember for height) The doctor worried me because she wants them to stay on the same curve that you were talking about too... Dd  is super active as well and also meets all her milestones. I am thinking that she just grew fast and is now averaging out. Sorry I can't offer something more comforting but those charts cannot pertain to every child. Everyone is so different and we all grow differently. I am curious to see what your Dr says about it at your upcoming appointment. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thx will let you know!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our % have been all over the board from day one. Anywhere from 14% height + 60% weight to 50/50 to 30/50. Ped has not expressed any concern. Hope your appt goes well.
  • Options
    Both my children experienced a drop off their growth curve once they started moving. Both were 90th percentile babies as newborns and by a year both were 10th percentile for weight. My DS is 3 and hovers around 50th percentile and is perfect healthy. My DD at 19 months is at 15th percentile and very healthy also. Their pediatrician tells me it's very common for babies to fall off their curve between. 9 and 12 months due to the increase in activity levels then.
  • Options
    I think it also makes a difference if your LO is breastfed because breastfed babies tend to gain quickly in the beginning and then level off as they get closer to a year.  The WHO chart is more accurate if you breastfeed.  My LO dropped from 50/75 to 25 on the chart the ped uses, but the WHO chart makes is a way smaller drop.
  • Options
    My LO is EFF and his weight hit a brick wall when he started crawling.  He had always ranged 30-35th percentile weight and 50-60th height.  He started crawling at Thanksgiving, and in the 2 months since, he has gained only 10 oz total.  Saw the doctor 2 weeks ago and a speech pathologist last week (he has post-NICU feeding issues) and neither were concerned.  He is at the bottom of his typical range right now, 30th/50th and very very active.
  • Options
    Happened to us too! Prior to 9 months she averages between 50-70 percentile for weight. At baby's 9 month appt we were all the way in the 25th percentile she only gained 1lb 1oz between 6-9 months. My pedi told this is the time when baby won't gain as much. She eats a lot but the little sister does not stop moving unless she is asleep. She did however gain 3 inches between 6-9 months so she is still in the 70th percentile for height. I am anxious to see where she is at in a few weeks for her 12 month well baby check. I don't think it matters if baby is breastfed or formula fed. I exclusively nursed for 6 weeks, then started supplementing and by 15-16 weeks baby was on formula completely. She was a chunky baby until or between her 6-9 month well baby check(s) and she was only 7lbs 3 oz when she was born.
  • Options
    Is he breastfed? In addition to being very active , my pedi said around 9 months BF babies will often slow down becuase the breast milk changes consistency and looses some of its fattiness. My son has been dropping percentiles as well (born at the 50th and now in the 30th) so she is having us go back in a month just to check and make sure he isn't losing any weight.  I have been adding in yogurt, to his diet to get a little of the milk fat back up.  She wasn't too concerned. 

• Options
    Yes very normal. I think they gain 3oz a week or something at this point? I don't remember. We aren't even close to having a % :(
  • Options
    Yes, he is BF
  • Options
    UPDATE: well, I was correct - he has gained a pound since November. Puts him at 75% for weight, 75% for height, 97% for head size.

Dr wasn't concerned at all because he's still a good size & lots of chubby (fat rolls) all over.
  • Options
    Yes DD only put on a pound from 6-9 months but grew 2 inches. Our pedi wasn't worried and said that a slowdown is normal after 6 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"