Working Moms

Daycare or Nanny for 2 under 2

ss265ss265 member
edited January 2014 in Working Moms
So I just found out that I am pregnant with #2 and am starting to think about care options for both kids (yes I am a planner and like to think ahead :) ). DS will be almost 2 when the new baby is born and currently goes to day care. For other working moms who were in a similar situation - what did you do? Day care for both kids or nanny or a combination? I like our day care but I hate that DS gets sick all the time and I shudder to think about how often we would have to go to the pedi for 2 kids in day care.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Daycare or Nanny for 2 under 2

• I have two girls, they are 27 months apart.  I am currently on maternity leave but I return to work in 2 weeks when DD#2 is 11 weeks old.  She will be going to the same daycare center as DD#1.  It would definitely be cheaper and easier for us to get a nanny but we love our daycare and DD#1 is so smart and social and I think I owe a lot of that to daycare.  She rarely gets sick there.  The place is insanely clean.  I think she may have had to stay home twice since she started at 11 weeks.

Congrats on your pregnancy!
  • I went the DC route. DD2 was rarely sick in comparison to DD1's 1st yr. Also, less adjustment.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We have always had a nanny. She really does make it easier. My DH travls a lot, and I commute an hour each way. It's so nice not having to get everyone out the door, not packing for DC, etc. our nanny does the kids' laundry (sometimes), cooks now and then, tidies the house every day. She takes the kids to the park, gymnastics, story time. She reads with them, does all kinds of crafts, hosts play dates if the other parents are OK with it. She's not cheap, but it's totally worth it.
  • I was never a huge fan of DC so I used a SAHM until DD was 2 and I went on maternity leave for DS.  I was able to take 6 months with each kid so that helped, I'm still not comfortable with an infant in daycare.  When I went back to work they both went to DC.  DD was 2 1/2 so I wanted her around kids more and it worked out really nice for both kids.
  • We had 2 under 2 in daycare, which was great for a lot of reasons (like the baby getting peace and quiet in a happy baby place while the 2 year old got to run around outside and act like a 2 year old).  BUT the sickness absolutely killed us.

We stuck it out for a year and when it wasn't getting any better, we decided to throw in the towel and switch to nanny + preschool.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • In the same place as you. Only my DD is already with a nanny. She will be 22 mos when #2 arrives. We will put her in preschool up to 3 mornings per week. Nanny will walk her there and take care of both. I think it's the best of both worlds for us. But I am worried about DD bringing home sickness from preschool. Also she might not be quite ready at 2 and if she's not ill keep her home for another year with nanny and supplement her socialization with classes on my days off (work part-time) and weekends and after work.
    BFP#1 10/17/11, m/c due to SCH 11/21/11 @ 8w4d; BFP#2 2/26/12, baby girl arrived 11/1/12; BFP#3 12/3/13, EDD: 8/18/14.

• Thanks ladies! I appreciate hearing all your perspectives - definitely a lot to consider!

• Mine are 18 months apart and my mom watched them at my house after ML. They started daycare when DS was 8months and DD was 2yrs. Having them at home was way easier for me, no transporting kids around, no packing lunches. My mom helped with little things around the house- empty dishwasher, laundry, bring in the mail, feed the dog. I prefer personal care for infants, and my kids were never sick. Once they started daycare they were sick all the time. But they were both old enough to get something out of the socialization and education of daycare. Now we love daycare, even though it's more work for me.

If you do go the nanny route, you will need to have your older one involved in activities. Dd would get bored at home. My mom took her to gym class, library storytime, playgroups, etc.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Our first 2 are 16 months apart and we decided early on my second pregnancy that we would try the nanny route.  It's been excellent.  My life is SO much less stressful because I don't have to pack lunches and bottles at night or get the kids ready in the morning.  Plus the nanny is home with them when they are sick instead of me being home.  She helps tidy the house and does some dishes and laundry.  We don't spend time before and after work commuting with the kids.  It's SO nice.  My husband's job doesn't allow him much flexibility at all so most kid sick days are on me. Thankfully my employer is much more flexible and understanding but I felt I would take so much PTO with 2 kids in daycare so the nanny seemed like a logical choice for us.  

My oldest goes to gymanstics and we do play dates and kids stuff on the weekends.  She will start a PDO/Preschool in the fall as well.  I'm perfectly happy with her level of socialization and activity. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"