November 2011 Moms

Potty Training?

So where is everyone with the potty training thing?  

DD seems to not care at all if she has a wet or dirty diaper and I've heard that if they don't care, training will be an uphill battle so I haven't even started.  She watches me go to the potty and knows potty/wipe/flush/wash hands...  I feel like I should at least get her a potty to get used to, but I haven't yet....  :/  Has anyone trained a LO who didn't care about clean/dirty diapers?  How did it go?  

Also, moms of 2+....I've heard a lot of horror stories of kids who have been potty trained and then the baby arrives and they totally regress.  Anyone with that experience?  (Or maybe NOT have that experience?)  That's the other reason I've been putting it off....the last thing I want is a relapse.  So I was thinking maybe the best thing is just to wait until a couple months after the baby is here to try?

And....since I haven't even started this process....any recommendations for potties/books (for LO or parents?)/websites about potty training or any other things you'd like to share about your potty training experience.  :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Potty Training?

• DS has shown some interest, but not on a consistent basis. We have a potty in the bathroom and he tried to sit on it once and said no. So I think it will be a few more months before we really start training

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• DD has definitely showed more interest lately. She has been pulling on her diaper more and more often after she has peed in it, and downright taken it off in the middle of the night. Argh! We have asked her if she wants to sit on the potty and about 50% of the time she says yes and of that she goes pee about 10% of that (if that). We need to be more consistent about when we ask her to go (when she wakes up, before/after naptime, before bed). Overnight is interesting because we don't always hear when she's up. As of right now, her bedroom door is babyproofed to keep her from roaming around the house and we don't want to put a potty in her room. I think she is definitely close to being ready, so we're just going with the flow for now.
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DD shows a lot of interest. She often asked to go to the potty but she just sits, wipes, flushes, and washes her hands. She went poo-poo one time in the potty but that's about it. I'm not really sure how to get it more consistent and don't want to force it so we are just kind of going with it for now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We know what the potty is, DS will go just before bath, but that's it. He will tell us when he's wet on occasion. But when you know he done something else in his diaper, he will tell you that he doesn't need to be changed. So we're at that inbetween stage. I do hope we're trained, or at least partly trained by 3.

I have heard of regression, but there's 4 1/2 years between my 2, so that wasn't a problem for us. If I were in your situation OP, unless DD was really into the potty now, I would wait. My DD showed lots of interest in trying at 2yrs, but it was too stressful the first time around, and I had to stop the process. Like you, my DD learned by being exposed to my bathroom time. I haven't developed a strategy for training DS yet. I don't think I'll do the same. 

I love using One Step Ahead for all those little things that help (https://www.onestepahead.com/Bath-and-Potty/Potty-Training/index.cat). For travel, we used their folding seat. But as that got old real quick; having to pull it out and put it away, then clean it after every use. I would just sit DD on one side of those commercial toilet seats in public. 

Also, I had heard that there's something to do with kids wearing cotton unddies that really help them understand when they need to go. Something about the feel, I guess. So when we had to go out, I would put a pull-up on DD over top of her underwear in case of any accidents. This was great. Oh and one last thing: when packing the diaper bag, in addition to the extra clothes, make sure you have extra socks and shoes too.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We haven't started.  She hasn't shown a lot of interest.  She lets us know when she wants her diaper changed.  She has also asked to sit on the potty a few times when she's seen DD1 go, but when we put her on the seat she jumps off immediately and says "all done".  With DD1 we waited until she was showing all the signs of being ready and it was pretty easy.  She was 2.5 years at that point and she was day and night trained a month later.  She of had some regression twice in the year after we trained her, but we just went back to the training basics and it didn't last long.  

No real world advice for training with a newborn coming.  DD2 was almost a year old when I trained DD1.  But if I was in that situation I would wait until you're settled in with the new baby.  It's going to be a change for everyone and potty training requires having to do trips to the bathroom very frequently and at LO's whim. If you're feeding or calming the baby and your LO needs to go potty, I think it would stress me out to meet all those needs at once.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • DS could care less if his diaper was wet or dirty. He would sit in it all day if I had let him. We potty trained at 22/23 months with a 2 month old. We didn't start at all until the baby was already here and I don't think the baby had any effect on training.

We just potty trained at night with no bumps at all. So we are officially 100 percent potty trained over here!

I read the book "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day" and it worked perfect for us. We followed the steps exactly as the book says.
         Lilypie - (2Lt7)      Lilypie - (WFOL)

Jonah Stephen born at 39w on 11/3/2011                Naomi Isabel born at 37w 5d on 5/27/2013
  • DS1 shows no signs of wanting to potty train.  He never tells us when he is dirty and would sit in it all day long if I let him.  Truthfully, I don't think DS1 will be ready until closer to 3, and it wouldn't surprise me if I potty train DS1 and DS2 at the same time.  DS2 has always been ready for things sooner than DS1, and wants to do everything that DS1 does.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD loves wearing her undies but refuses to go to the bathroom on the potty. Yeah, we've started wearing undies over the diapers...
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    RedCamaro
  • RedCamaro said:

Also, I had heard that there's something to do with kids wearing cotton unddies that really help them understand when they need to go. Something about the feel, I guess. So when we had to go out, I would put a pull-up on DD over top of her underwear in case of any accidents. This was great. Oh and one last thing: when packing the diaper bag, in addition to the extra clothes, make sure you have extra socks and shoes too.  
    The undies under the diaper is a great tip!  I've heard that sometimes the technology with new disposable diapers is so good that kids don't even really feel the wetness.  Having the undies there to get wet but have the diaper there to prevent a mess sounds great!  

And good tip about extra clothes + socks and shoes!  Thanks!
  • caffrin said:
    DS could care less if his diaper was wet or dirty. He would sit in it all day if I had let him. We potty trained at 22/23 months with a 2 month old. We didn't start at all until the baby was already here and I don't think the baby had any effect on training. We just potty trained at night with no bumps at all. So we are officially 100 percent potty trained over here! I read the book "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day" and it worked perfect for us. We followed the steps exactly as the book says.
    Thanks for the book rec!  And good to know that training can happen even if they don't care about wet/dirty diapers.  

Congrats on being 100% potty trained!  Awesome milestone.
  • We haven't started.  She hasn't shown a lot of interest.  She lets us know when she wants her diaper changed.  She has also asked to sit on the potty a few times when she's seen DD1 go, but when we put her on the seat she jumps off immediately and says "all done".  With DD1 we waited until she was showing all the signs of being ready and it was pretty easy.  She was 2.5 years at that point and she was day and night trained a month later.  She of had some regression twice in the year after we trained her, but we just went back to the training basics and it didn't last long.  

No real world advice for training with a newborn coming.  DD2 was almost a year old when I trained DD1.  But if I was in that situation I would wait until you're settled in with the new baby.  It's going to be a change for everyone and potty training requires having to do trips to the bathroom very frequently and at LO's whim. If you're feeding or calming the baby and your LO needs to go potty, I think it would stress me out to meet all those needs at once.
    TOTALLY agree with this and I think this is the other reason I've been waiting.  My mother keeps saying "wouldn't it be nice to have her trained before the other one gets here?" and honestly, diapers seem easier than getting her to the potty on time so at this point - as long as DD doesn't mind still being in diapers - I think it's probably a little late in the game to start and stress about all that with a new LO coming soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"