May 2014 Moms
Options

Ladies with Cigna Insurance (breast pump)

Just wanted to let you know that if you call 1877-466-0164, choose option 4 I believe (the option where you need to discuss something else) and option 1 twice (home medical equipment) and ask to discuss their Healthy Babies Program they will let you know that at 28 weeks you should call back and be approved for a breast pump (double electric included, although I'm not sure if it's brand specific). I believe they will ship it directly to you within 5-7 business days. I found this out by Internet searching and saw a baby center message board from awhile ago. I would think it covers all types of Cigna under different employers, but don't know for sure. Hope this helps someone!

Re: Ladies with Cigna Insurance (breast pump)

• Options
    I also have Cigna and have spoken to them directly (on more than one occasion) about breast pumps, lactation consultants, etc.  This is what they said in a nutshell:

1) Hospital grade [rental] pump is covered at 100% and includes all accessories.  Rental period is as long as doctor prescribes.

2) Manual, electric, or double electric pump is also covered at 100% and includes accessories.  This is not a rental - I will own it).

3)  Equipment must come from their medical supplier (Carecentrix).  Your OB can call in the prescription.  Cigna recommends having the RX called in 2-3 weeks prior to your due date because it can take that long to arrive.  

4) Lactation consultants are covered at 100% as long as you are in the hospital.  Once you leave the hospital you have to pay OOP for a LC.

I got no mention of a Healthy Babies Program or calling back at 28 weeks.  I will be calling them again, however, to discuss now that you have mentioned it.  
  • Options
    Thank you for the info!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    Not all Cigna insurance is the same. Just as not all BCBS insurance is the same. 
    Everyone should call and find out what their specific Cigna insurance covers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I have to second what @danabsd said above. I work in insurance as a broker and I cringe when I read these posts. Under most insurance plans the Heath Care Reform updates to the plan included coverage for breast pumps, supplies, consultations, etc. However, there are "Grandfathered plans" out there and other plans that do not have to comply. Call your insurance and provide your policy number to get specific details for your plan. It is good to know that the supplies MAY be covered for you.
  • Options
    I have the Cigna Open Access program and it is exactly as the posters wrote above about calling carecentrix and ordering the electric pump from them. 
  • Options
    MimalooMimaloo member
    edited January 2014

danabsd said:
    Not all Cigna insurance is the same. Just as not all BCBS insurance is the same. 
    Everyone should call and find out what their specific Cigna insurance covers.
    This is absolutely true.  I'm not sure exactly what Cigna plan I have, but yes, absolutely call and speak to a representative directly about your personal coverage.  Do not rely on the information you get here or any other internet source.

ETA - Clarification   
  • Options
    I work in the health field and agree that not all insurance is the same and that everyone should check their individual plan. That being said, they didn't ask my specific policy- just that if I had Cigna. I called another number specifically through my own plan and was told the same story. So hopefully this holds true for the majority of Cigna policy holders, but either way it's definitely worth asking about.
  • Options
    i downloaded the Cigna app and am able to see my whole plan, deductibles, claims. I recommend it for anyone with Cigna. I found out I have the Cigna OA plus in-network plan.  I called Cigna today and was given the Carecentrix phone number since the plan covers 100% breast pump equipment. When I called Carecentrix, I was offered the Hospital grade pump which requires an script with medical necessity and its rental on a monthly basic. The Basic pump, just needs a script for a pump which can be faxed. I choose the basic pump and had the choice of Ameda or Medela. I ordered the Medela Double Electric and it ships in 5-7 business days and is mine's to keep!!! So before you go out and buy one, check with your insurance!
  • Options
    We've been through this so many times. Cigna (like most insurance companies) has a lot of different plans. What they cover, how they cover it, etc varies greatly. If you want info you need to call them and speak to them about your plan directly.

That One Gal From Alaska :)

• Options
    Agreed Cigna differs.  I have Cigna Open Access Plus.  Only offered the Ameda as a pump that I can own.  Medela is offered as a rental.  At first they told me I had to get a prescription from my MW or OB but then a few days later lo and behold the breast pump was sitting on my doorstep.  No need for a prescription.  Meh, free is free and so be it.  I called in to ask about the pump when I was 32-33 weeks.
  • Options
    Thanks for this. I've been meaning to contact Cigna about a pump for the past few weeks but just kept putting it off. My Medela personal double electric pump will be here within 5-7 business days.

I asked about hospital-grade rental, and that part was a little confusing. She said they will cover one, but I have to take the personal pump first on a trial basis. That sounds odd to me. I'll have to call back in a week or two and investigate it further.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    Eener31Eener31 member
    Thanks @bcnoelle! I called today and my pump is on the way. FYI to other moms, I was offered 2 brands of double electric pumps: the Medela Advanced Personal or the Ameda Purely Yours Ultra, and I went with the Medela. 100% covered!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"