Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Carseat to booster transition age?

At what age can DD go into a booster? Does anyone know. My state that up until says 60lb and 6yrs a child has to be in a restraint, but no says nothing about when I can just use a booster. Does that mean I get to decide when she just doesn't fit anymore? So confused...

Re: Carseat to booster transition age?

• Options
    A child shouldn't move into a belt positioning booster until they are mature enough to sit in the seat correctly 100% of the time (no wiggling, no leaning forward to look out the window, no leaning down to pick up a toy, etc).  That is typically between the ages of 5 and 6.  I believe that 4 years and 40lbs is the legal minimum but VERY few kids are ready at the age of 4.  

We have just started to booster train DS1 who will be 6 in April.  There are combination seats that can go from harness to booster (i.e. Graco Nautilus, Evenflo SecureKid, Britax Frontier) and those are appropriate for a child over the age of 2 as long as the harness is being used to restrain them.  
  • Options
    Spin313Spin313 member
    edited January 2014
    I *think* in my state it's 4 years and 40 pounds to be in a booster.

My almost six year old is in a 5p harnessed backed booster (Britax Frontier)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Around 6 IF he or she is mature enough to sit correctly. Rearfacing until 4 is safest.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, that helps a lot! 
  • Options
    Spin313 said:
    I *think* in my state it's 4 years and 40 pounds to be in a booster. My almost six year old is in a 5p harnessed backed booster (Britax Frontier)
    Same here.  DD is six and in a Frontier too.  She is rather small for her age (around 44 lb.), so while she could technically use a belt positioning booster, I feel better with her in a 5 pt. harness.

DS, also smallish for his age, is still RF in a convertible seat at 2 yr. 2 mo.  I don't plan to FF until he reaches the maximum weight for RF (it says right on the seat, I forget exactly what but 30+ lb.) and will probably keep him in that seat until he outgrows it or it expires.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    I wouldn't go by state law. Check a website like safekids.org for the latest in recommendations. State law is usually a bare minimum.
  • Options
    DD is booster trained in DH's car (very short and infrequent rides), but she is the rare 4 year old who IS mature enough to sit properly for the whole ride.

She is still harnessed in my car, our main vehicle, and will be until she outgrows the harness on her Nautilus. So probably at least another year. She still falls asleep in the car occasionally, and I would fear she would fall out of position in a booster.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    PA's law is 4 years and 40 pounds. My 5 year old (42 pounds) is still in a 5-pt harness with no plans to move her until she outgrows the limits of her seat. I don't know why you would choose a less safe option over a safer one.
  • Options
    My older DD will be 6 in April, and she still hasn't hit 40lbs, so we'll be in a harness for a while yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"