Nurseries and Baby Gear

Maxi Cosi Mico: too small?

Has anyone used this infant carseat? I like that it's lightweight, streamlined and seems safe and comfortable for baby, but it only goes to 22 pounds. Any input appreciated!

Re: Maxi Cosi Mico: too small?

• We have the Mico and initially had the same concern. We've been using it for a month now and really like it. Being lightweight was a huge draw, and convenient when running errands errands or out to eat. The cushioning is great too. We took DD out to brunch for the first time this weekend. She slept the whole time in her seat. I think part of that is how comfy it is. We have the Baby Jogger City Mini stroller, and it works well with that stroller. You need part of the adapter, but not the big bar. In terms of the size our thinking was by the time she's too big we'll be ready for a convertible seat, still rear facing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I got the mico, and I am still waiting for my little guy to arrive.  I can't speak from experience yet, but I went with the mico because I'm not a strong person.  8lbs of car seat and 22lbs of baby is you carrying around 30lbs in your arm.  I know other car seats have higher weight limits, but those car seats typically weigh around 11-12 lbs.  Could you carry around 40lbs of baby and car seat?  I know I couldn't.  We will be switching to a convertible once he hits the 22lb mark which is fine because any other infant carrier would be staying in the car for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • No experience with the Mico but I did have the 22 lb graco with my first and came to regret getting the smaller seat even though I was sure I didn't want the extra weight. Here's why I advocate going for the bigger ones:

1. The infant seat is the only way you can eat out in peace for the first 6+ mos. the longer it lasts, the easier life will be.
    2. My baby outgrew it lengthwise at 7 mos. long before he hit the weight limit. I was not ready to give it up. I cried. It was a sad day.
    3. You don't really carry that thing around very far! You carry it into a restaurant/store and set it down at the table or in the cart (not on TOP of the cart!). Or even better, get a snap n go and then you just lift it in/out of the car onto the stroller frame. Easy.
    4. Or you just use it like a regular car seat and take the baby out when you go in somewhere. But in the event that baby is asleep and you don't want to wake them, you will still have the option to carry them inside without waking. NEVER WAKE A SLEEPING BABY.

• By the time your kid is like 10 months u would move them in a convertible coz they would like to be more upright .. I have the maxi cosi mico and really loved it with my son..most kids will outgrow it length wise before weight wise.. And I am gonna reuse it with my no2 due next month..
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We registered for this, but are seriously considering nuna pipa. Same weight seat, but holds to 30 or 32 lbs. I forget. It is $100 more, though.
  • Its a great, lightweight seat, but it all depends on your baby. My nephew reached the weight limit around 5 months, which is pretty early. Just kind of inconvenient bc at that age they typically sleep in the car a lot.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• No experience with the Mico but I did have the 22 lb graco with my first and came to regret getting the smaller seat even though I was sure I didn't want the extra weight. Here's why I advocate going for the bigger ones: 1. The infant seat is the only way you can eat out in peace for the first 6+ mos. the longer it lasts, the easier life will be. 2. My baby outgrew it lengthwise at 7 mos. long before he hit the weight limit. I was not ready to give it up. I cried. It was a sad day. 3. You don't really carry that thing around very far! You carry it into a restaurant/store and set it down at the table or in the cart (not on TOP of the cart!). Or even better, get a snap n go and then you just lift it in/out of the car onto the stroller frame. Easy. 4. Or you just use it like a regular car seat and take the baby out when you go in somewhere. But in the event that baby is asleep and you don't want to wake them, you will still have the option to carry them inside without waking. NEVER WAKE A SLEEPING BABY.
    ALL OF THIS!
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • The chicco keyfit 30 is only 1.5lbs more and goes up to 30lbs. Seems like a better option
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

• I had a 22 lb weight limit keyfit. I was so ready to move DS into a convertible by the time he was about 20 lbs, so the smaller weight limit seat makes sense to me. No way I could carry a 30 lb kid plus seat around. DS did not really like the bucket seat either, so he was happier once he was out of it.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"