Nurseries and Baby Gear

bottle sterilizers

any helpful advice? 

some tell me to shy away from microwaving. the only 2 i see popular are the dr browns and the avent and both reviews are awful!!!

help please!

TTC#2
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: bottle sterilizers

• we just boiled them in a pot of water. Last thing we needed was more baby stuff around. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I used the microwave steam bags last time and didn't have any issues with sterilizing bottles, although I would not recommend putting any thin or flexible plastic/rubber items in the microwave bags (breast pump shields and valves/membranes, for instance) because they can sometimes warp.  The steam bags are super-easy, super-fast, and took up no space.  Boiling also works, but takes more time (we only did that every once in awhile or with stuff that was brand new).  If you have a dishwasher, the heat dry at the end of the cycle will also sterilize.
  • Loading the player...
  • I used the Munchkin one from Walmart. It was on sale for $12 when I got it. It was a microwave one & worked fine.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • I also used the microwave bags made my Medela. You can boil on the stove too and skip the gear if you want. The bags are good for 20 uses each and have spots to mark that you have used them.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Dishwasher? I never sterilize things after the first time. I run them through the dishwasher or just hand wash. I wouldn't waste my money
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

• You just need to sterilize them before the very first use.  A big pot of boiling water does the trick.  This is yet another useless baby item.
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • thanks for all the insight!!  i was thinking it might be a waste but my family gave me weird looks when i told them i didn't think i needed them.

TTC#2
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"