March 2013 Moms
Options

Tantrums

SarahRae85SarahRae85 member
edited January 2014 in March 2013 Moms
Who is dealing with them?

I'm talking throw themselves to the floor dramatically, screaming and crying.

DS does it for attention. We know this, because he'll stop crying, look at us, wait for us to look at him, then throw himself back to the floor (from sitting) and start crying. It's extremely frustrating, because holding him doesn't work, so I usually end up with a screaming 10 month old following me around and throwing himself to the floor at my feet whenever I stop moving. We offer toys and, if I'm desperate for a moment, food to distract him, but don't want to start a habit.

It's just a stage, but I'm half afraid this stage is going to last until he's in elementary school. My girls never did this quite so frequently.
DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Tantrums

• Options
    Same is happening here and it is very frustrating. DS1 was never this bad, but DS2 will throw himself on the floor and when being held. There is nothing we can do when he's in a "mood."
    No help to offer..but you are not alone!
  • Options
    DS is throwing tantrums and usually when we are holding him.  He will fling himself in every direction being totally hysterical.  It is so frustrating.  I have just put him down and walked out of the room a couple times. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

;

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I thought DS was the only one that knew how to throw a tantrum this early so I hesitated to make a discussion but im glad to see I am not the only one dealing with it! Im in the same boat SaraRae85, im not sure how to deal with it but I try my best to be Patient.

I know that he doesn't quite understand that what he is doing is annoying or overwhelming for us mamas. our LOs cant speak whick means they will do all they know to get what they want or need.. so we can only be Patient and teach them other ways to express themselves! ;)
  • Options
    Yep, DS has thankfully stopping throwing himself around. However we still have tantrums and I just let them happen for the most part and when he's calmed down then I tend to him.
  • Options
    Our DS has been going through a phase where he cries whenever you put him down or when he's not getting what he wants. It's been a very strange couple of weeks for him. Normally he's the happy kid
  • Options
    Yep, DD throws toddler-esque tantrums. At her 9 month well check, her pedi said some kids start this young. I just ignore her (I mean, I don't leave the room or anything, she's too young for that, but I don't ackowledge her) until she calms down.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Sounds like we're not alone, which is always nice to know. There have been some points he is so inconsolable I start to wonder if I need to call the doctor and take him in for a check-up just in case there's something wrong that I'm missing.

I try to ignore DS, but these tantrums can go on FOREVER some times. At one point it was 40 minutes of being inconsolable before I gave in, picked him up and nursed him. One over-tired tantrum ended up with me spending 2 hours sitting in his chair rocking him. Most of the time he can be distracted, but there are plenty of times he gets himself worked up and is crying just to cry and no longer crying for a purpose.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Charlie can get fussy when I put him down, or if we are playing and I walk away to get something, I'm still in sight but he throws a fit. I actually had my first in store tantrum. I forgot my cart cover so he was sitting in the cart without anything in btwn them. He kept trying to bite the cart (he likes to chew) so I would pick up his head and say no. Every time we did that, he would scream! I was one of those moms, and yet all I could do was laugh. Lesson learned. Next time I will have my cart cover and a toy.
    Erica

1st baby boy born 3.14.13
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/CharlieCheeksVinyl
    Thenewnorms.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Don't feed into it.  If I notice it before it starts I will try and distract her to stop it before it becomes full blown.  If that doesn't work I just let her go until she calms down.  I will try and distract her by changing the channel on the tv, call the dog over, or sometimes I will just start to do something different and she will get caught up in watching what I am doing.  It is hard but the more you react the more they realize its working.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Yeah we are starting to experience this...I wouldn't say full blown tantrums, but she is definitely getting more vocal about when she isn't happy with something!  She'll occasionally arch her back and scream.  Like PP, I usually try to distract her and 9 times out of 10 it works - where's the dog?, do you know where your baby doll is?, where's dada?.  If it doesn't, she's usually just over tired and we'll either power through the bedtime routine to put her down, or I'll just hold her and try to calm her down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"