LGBT Parenting

family photo question

newmompeanutnewmompeanut member
edited January 2014 in LGBT Parenting
@ATXmommas - I think I remember it was Ash's newborn photos that were taken in your house... sorry if I'm completely wrong!  I'm trying to find a photographer (in Wisconsin) that offers this in home photoshoot and I'm striking out.  It seems like it's not even an option.  Is this just something typical in TX that WI doesn't offer?  Or did you call up all the photographers and ask them if they would come to your house.

And then a question for everyone else.  How much would you pay for family photos?  I'm a little sticker shocked at the price of family photos.  The last photographer I contacted said that it's a $200 deposit and that's just to reserve your date and time.  Individual photos are $275 and packages start at $699.  I'm sure there are less expensive options out there, but I also want quality photos...

Re: family photo question

• You're right. The photos were taken in out home. That's pretty typical around here. We paid $500 for the photo shoot and CD. That's typical too - to just receive a CD with all the images that you can then do what you like with. My preference is to make a photo book with all the images (what we did with our engagement and wedding pics) and then order whatever prints I want through a local camera shop (something you could totally do at walgreens or Walmart). That's a shame you are t having luck. We much prefer the naturalness of our pics. Props are cute too, but it's nice to have some of us in our home. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am in Ohio and I know tons of photographers that will do pictures anywhere.  I would ask online, check out facebook photography pages, look on craigslist or online networking groups in your area.  We found our wedding photographer on craigslist and we love him!  He is going to do our maternity pictures and we have become good friends with him and his wife over the years.  He is very inexpensive, around $100, but most run $300-$500.
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• Loading the player...
  • JGYJGY member

Where in WI are you?  That's a big state with a lot of rural areas so depending where you are, I can understand why you might be having problems finding what you want (I'm in MN).

Definitely use the suggestions above, and when in doubt you can always ask for a referral within the industry.  If you know a Wedding photographer, for example, you could ask for a recommendation.  Even if you don't know one, but can find one online, you can always call and ask.

As for the sticker shock, well, my Sister is a photographer so this hits a little close to home.  I think that people sometimes overlook the fact that these people are experts in their field.  They've spent a lot of time learning their craft and will (should) produce a good product.  Like you don't want to hire an amatuer plumber, same goes for a photographer (with slightly less dire consequences, I'll admit).  In addition, we often forget that the images they produce require many more hours of work than just the shoot.  Photographers spend hours editing, cropping, adjusting and compiling the images for you.  They also tend to be their own in-office staff as well, handling the billing, marketing, equipment rentals, etc etc etc

Wow, sorry I just dumped all that out there.  I wasn't trying to imply that you don't understand all of those things, just supplying the reminder for anyone who may forget.  Any time my Sister is involved, I get a bit passionate about these things.  :)

Good luck with your search.  Let me know if I can help in any way (PM me if you'd like, I can always ask my Sis for the best way to go about finding someone in your area).

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• We also had someone come to our home to take shots and she only goes to homes for newborn pics and specializes in natural light shots. We're in TN. We paid 400 for the 3 hours (which she stayed 4) and the cd so we own the pics. Needless to say we tipped Very well. The pics were amazing. And I found her just by google. I also chose To disclose up front that we were a same sex couple. The last thing I wanted was to feel uncomfortable a week after my daughter was born. :) good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My wife is a photographer and usually does in-home shoots for newborns. I wish we were in Wisconsin so she could do yours! She follows a lot of other photographers around the country, so I'll ask if she knows anyone in your area. Most newborn packages should run around $400-500 with the images.

Good luck!

P.S. You can check out my wife's portfolio at www.facebook.com/leahdphoto ;)
    Me: 31, Wife: 32 (met when we were 15)
    Married to my beautiful wife/baby mama on 07/07/07
    My brother is our KD
    5/2012: 5 cycles of at-home tries - BFN
    1/2013: 4 medicated IUIs - BFN
    6/2013: 1 IVF - BFP w/twin girls! Born 2/27/14!

• Thank you all for the suggestions and letting me know that the prices I'm finding are what I should be expecting!  I appreciate it! Sometimes you just need to hear that you're being unreasonable :)

@JGY, I'm sorry if I came across as not being appreciative of the time and efforts that they have to put in!  I definitely understand that there's more to the photos than the quick session that I'm actually attending.  Also, I'm in Chippewa Falls... It's about 20 minutes North of Eau Claire, or 1.5 hours from the Minnesota boarder.  So it's kind of a small town, but there are bigger towns around us.
  • JGYJGY member

@newmompeanut - not at all!  Sorry I went all preachy on you there.  ;)

I know Chippewa Falls!  I would say it's not so far away from the Twin Cities that you couldn't find a willing photographer to come to your home, but I'm sure that would drive the price up.  I'll do a little looking and I'll PM you if I can come up with any referrals that seem reasonable.

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"