August 2012 Moms

Random Question

So I've never had an issue clipping J's nails until recently because we would do it when she was asleep.

So my question is...how do you clip a toddlers nails, but mostly her toe nails when she has insanely ticklish feet?

She lets me do her finger nails, one at a time, but I can't get her tiny toes because they are so small and her feet jerk about and I'm afraid of hurting her.

Help!? TIA

DD Born August 16, 2012
DS Due April 27, 2015
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Random Question

• I have to do them while she's sleeping. She won't let me near her nails awake!

imageimage

• I let DD watch an episode of Daniel Tiger on the iPad when I cut her nails. She stays pretty still that way. I sit her in my lap and haven't really had any issues.
  • Loading the player...
  • while they are eating in their highchair, be underneath the table so they can't see you and somehow it makes it better for us.
    same technique for painting toe nails pink :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Scarlet Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have been lucky that DD's toenails just seem to self groom.   She hates to have her toenails clipped and I have only had to do it a few times.  She loves loves loves to have her toenails polished and will let me clip them quickly if she knows there is some polish coming. 

I did her toenails last night and she looked at them, stuck her feet up in the air near SO's face and blew like ummm Daddy dry them don't just sit there.  Ughhh we have a little diva. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Haha, I feel like maybe if I introduce nail polish a little more she will be happier with the clipping? She likes to sift through my polish collection but because she's so squirmy I don't paint her toes.

She woke up in the MOTN last night and I tried to clip them when she fell asleep, but the little bum still kept pulling her feet away. I'm ticklish like that too.

DD Born August 16, 2012
    DS Due April 27, 2015
  • Distraction is key.

For hands, DH acts a fool to keep her attention until I am done. I also try to tell her what I'm doing and that has helped with the pulling away.

For toes I have to do it after a bath to soften them (the pinkie toes become semi ingrown) and then she sits on the changing table and plays with the lotion tubes and wipes until I am done. I have to put all the wipes back in the container after but it is worth it!

I always feel so accomplished when ALL her nails are finally trimmed. Haha.

• I make a game out of it while she is eating. We do clip clip bite. if she lets me clip 1 finger or toe then she gets a bite of lunch. Also after I get 1 nail clipped I make a huge deal out of it saying YAY! such a good girl mommy is so proud of you, while clapping. she gets a huge grin and claps along with me.
    I use the same techniques for painting her toes. and then when done I say look how pretty your toes are! Show daddy.
    I'd say works 9 out of 10 times. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • I got lucky. Charlie likes to watch me clip her nails, and if she gets too fidgety I put Bubble Guppies on.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I make a game out of it. I hold her hand, show her the clippers then move it towards her finger/toe. Pause for dramatic effect then exclaim "cleeeep" as I clip the nail and draw my hand away quickly. She thinks it is hilarious.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"