October 2013 Moms
Options

Pediatrician "membership" fees

I am searching high and low for a new pediatrician that accepts my very popular, state employee health insurance.  I am running into this -- in order to combat the effects of Obamacare (is that thing even rolling??) and keep patient rolls low, practices are asking for annual "membership fees" ON TOP of accepting insurance/copays.  So far, I have run into one that asks for $1000 a year, one that wants $3000, and one that wants $5000 a year!!  I don't mean to start a political discussion, but have any of you run into this?  WTH am I supposed to do?  The pedi we go to now isn't yet charging such a fee, but it's scrubby like the county health department and they want no part in individualized care and decisionmaking.

Re: Pediatrician "membership" fees

• Options
    I was at the pedi on Friday and there was no mention of anything like that.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I have never heard of anything like this.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    w.t.f. 
    I think I would write to the central board in your state to raise their awareness of this, that seems strange at best. 
    I don't live in the US so I'm not familiar with all the details of what and how medical charges change, but the two women that I do know personally in US who are practicing doctors said there is no reason to assume their income will be reduced. 

• Options
    I've never heard of such ridiculousness (I live in MI). Woah.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     BFP #1: 3.2.13 | EDD: 10.21.13 | Born: 10.25.13
     BFP #2: 9.9.14 | EDD 5.13.15 | MC: 9.24.14
    BFP #3: 1.4.15 | EDD 8.23.15
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Never run across it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • Options
    I've heard of a concierge type practice.

You pay a fee, and they keep their patient lists smaller and offer a lot more personal service.

They don't deal with insurance so you don't have co-pays etc...

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've never heard of that. I do work at a county health department clinic though and I couldn't even be offended, we are scrubby.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • Options
    Where are you that they are charging this? I have never heard of this before and it would definitely not fly around here.
  • Options
    Never heard of such a thing. Sounds a little strange to me.

• Options
    Nothing like that here in northern Virginia to my knowledge. That sounds rubbish.
  • Options
    Nope have not heard if this in Seattle metro area.

• Options
    Wow! Nope, never heard of that in Tennessee, although I'm not really in an area where they would find a large enough population of high rollers to sustain that type of nonsense.
  • Options
    JarynA said:
    Wow! Nope, never heard of that in Tennessee, although I'm not really in an area where they would find a large enough population of high rollers to sustain that type of nonsense.
    This.
    Anniversary
    February Signature Challenge: Valentine's Day GIFs

image     image     image
  • Options
    Never have heard if this. That is straight up crazy.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Options
    I've never heard of this either.  Is that even legal?  What would the "membership fee" even go towards?  Are you just paying the doctor's green fees or can you bank it against co-pays?
    m/c 9/22/07 at 8w5d...BFP 12/23/07! DD born 9/4/2008, BFP 2/14/13...DS born 10/22/2013 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've heard of therapists doing this but it isn't common
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo octoberowls_zps78dd2214.png

May Siggy: Baby in disguise

photo photo1-1.jpg
  • Options
    I've only seen this for doctors that don't participate with insurance. They provide24/7 email or phone access and house calls though. It's becoming popular in and around DC but not that commonplace. Only certain specialty doctors do it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    Where do you live? Never heard of such a thing. Are we being punked?

photo f5b87909-fb54-49d9-91f2-1c11ca11c6c6_zpsb539db06.jpgimage
    imageimagehttps://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/07/a4ee8a96ea9a5b36f67716d2e4a85b.jpg

• Options
    So I've just googled and found this: https://www.choicepediatrics.net/faq.html I'm no expert, but this sounds pretty sketchy.

Yeah this.  It's like this.  I'm in Tampa.  And from what I understand, it would be on top of copays and they are trying to make it sound like you get all this extra stuff, like 24/7 doctor texting and these handy internet webinars.  And probably they are using politics as an additional reason to make more money.  Looks like I'll be doing serious phone calling/hoofing.
  • Options
    I've only seen this for doctors that don't participate with insurance. They provide24/7 email or phone access and house calls though. It's becoming popular in and around DC but not that commonplace. Only certain specialty doctors do it.

My peds offer 24/7 contact via email or phone, they also have a lactation warm line, their offices are open seven days a week, I think they do house calls AND.they give awesome stickers for the kids but no special super high membership fee or any fee in fact other than usual co pay.

@snoopyluv are you around the DC area too?
  • Options
    My peds offer 24/7 contact via email or phone, they also have a lactation warm line, their offices are open seven days a week, I think they do house calls AND.they give awesome stickers for the kids but no special super high membership fee or any fee in fact other than usual co pay. @snoopyluv are you around the DC area too?

------------------------------------
    yep, I'm in Maryland.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"