May 2012 Moms

Preschools

I want to put DS in a 2K preschool program 2-3 mornings per week this fall. I am SAHM and I think he needs to learn to be away from me, listen to other authority figures, play with other children, etc. How do I choose one? I posted on a local mommy board and got a list of probably six that they recommended. All my friends' kids are either in daycare, don't go to preschool, or their school doesn't do two year olds. What do I look for? What questions do I ask? He has never been left with anyone besides family members and even that is rare, so this is a big step.

Re: Preschools

• No real advice as I don't do pre-school just saying good luck! I know here there's a 2 day a week one that parents stay other wise it's basically day care.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Michyme123, we are thinking of doing the same thing but with a Mandarin pre school. I could just wait until he is 5 and enroll all of us in Saturday Chinese school, but I was hoping to get him a jump start on a difficult language, especially because I know very little, just about one years worth of study worth. I'm struggling because I don't know if I want to give up so much time with him, but I really want to get him language exposure because my parents waited until I was 5 and I didn't take to Chinese, whereas it was my sisters first language and she at least understands it even if she doesn't speak it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have any advice but this made me look up preschools in our area and it was giving me anxiety. We are in the same position as you but I'm going to start her around 3. I didn't realize there were so many requirements or expectations.

Sorry Zoey. I didn't mean to stress you out. :-)
  • I just signed DS1 and 2 up for next year. We are moving and picking a preschool while out of state was hard. First I did some internet research. I asked on a few sites, but didn't get a lot of responses. I was able to narrow it done to three and then I called all of them. If I had been closer I would have scheduled a tour. I think going to the schools really would have helped. Anyway, we picked one and hopefully it's the right choice. If it's not we can take them out and look again.
  • Most of the time pre school this young that isn't day care is with parents it's about socializing not being away from their moms. It's normally the 3s and4s that are with out parents.
  • Zoey sorry I missed that part! I can't think of our kids being 3 yet! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"