Success after IF

XP from PAIF: question/worry: triplets. vanishing twin syndrome.

hello ladies, i'm hoping i could find some wisdom and few positive stories to help keep me sane through this journey.

info is my siggy, had my 3rd IVF that resulted in a BFP finally... with twins! now today was supposed to be our final u/s with RE before being graduated to my OB. but on the ultrasound they found that one of the embryos split and theres 2 yolks in one sac. the 3rd embryo is growing much slower and couldnt detect a strong hb. RE says it will most likely not make it and i'll either bleed or it will be reabsorbed. i'm going back for another check in 2 weeks to make sure everything still looks ok.

RE shared information about how identical twins with a vanishing twin can possibly be indicative of an abnormality with the healthy embryo thats in the same sac. considering they both have the same genetic makeup, the reason for the 3rd embryo's halt in growth could mean that its identical twin could have the same abnormal chromosomes or it could either mean the the 3rd embryo just had a growth abnormality and isnt related to a genetic defect or illness.

i posted this on the multiples board too, but i'm hoping that you SAIF girls can give me any insight because i know this could also apply to a woman carrying a now singleton pregnancy from what was a vanishing twin and that same scenario can come into play if they were once identical twins. and for us dealing with IF, we're more closely monitored so im guessing you'd have more answers or have been in this position before?

i was just wondering if any of you had similar stories to share. thanks for listening!
**SIGGY TICKER WARNING**
Me: 27 High FSH (POF?) DH: 33 Slightly Low Morphology / Married Aug '08 TTC since 7/2009
6 rounds of clomid = no luck
IVF w/ ICSI & AZH #1 - Jan/2011 = ET cancelled OHSS
FET #1 & #2 - March/2011 & June/2011 = Chemical Preg.
IVF w/ Half ICSI #2 New RE - May/2012 = BFN!
May '12 - Sep '13 - Took A Break
Dec '13 IVF w/ Half ICSI #3!!!!! Switched RE
Protocol - Lupron trigger/Follistim/Ganirelix/Estrace/Vivelle/Crinone
12/27 - BFP! TWINS! EDD 9/3/14 ...Team PURPLE!
6/27/14 - Emergency C/S @ 30w2d - Baby A 2lb 14oz, Baby B 2lb 11 oz
ALL WELCOME :)
LeoLauren

Re: XP from PAIF: question/worry: triplets. vanishing twin syndrome.

• I don't haave any experience, but I hope time flies until you get to see your babies o the u/s again.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    LSN8308
  • Yes, this is very normal. With my first pregnancy, I was originally pregnant with triplets- transferred 2, 1 split into ID twins, and I lost the ID twins before 8 week ultrasound. And I went on to have a healthy singleton pregnancy.

Hang in there. Sending lots of hugs your way!
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

LSN8308
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't quite follow if the third embryo was one of the identical twins or not.

We had identical twins after a single embryo transfer. Since they shared a placenta (one gestational sac), they were higher risk with a higher miscarriage rate. If they are identical, it's likely they would have the same chromosomal abnormalities if such an abnormality exists (there are some weird scenario exceptions, but those certainly aren't common). If they do share a placenta, if one embryo doesn't make it, the odds of survival are not great for the remaining identical twin, but if you have a di-di twin pregnancy (or in your case a triplet in its own gestational sac), the odds of survival are much better for the surviving embryo.

I wish you all the best and hope everything goes well for all of your babies.
    Married 8/2008. IVF with PGD March 2013.
    3/22 ER: 25R, 20M, 15F. 9 genetically normal, and 3 survived to Day 5
    3/27 ET: transferred 1 embryo, beta 9dp5dt=163, 12dp5dt=639
    4/25 1st ultrasound at 7 weeks = identical twins with heartbeats?!!!
    PPROM at 31w, delivery at 32 weeks of two beautiful girls
    LSN8308
  • @PurpleIris30 - sorry if i was confusing, i tend to ramble. the third embryo we saw yesterday is one of the identical twins. we had a 2 embryo  transfer and both stuck, then one split forming a third.

thank you ladies for your well wishes and responses. i just need to be patient, and at the end of the day i just want healthy baby(s).
    **SIGGY TICKER WARNING**
    Me: 27 High FSH (POF?) DH: 33 Slightly Low Morphology / Married Aug '08 TTC since 7/2009
    6 rounds of clomid = no luck
    IVF w/ ICSI & AZH #1 - Jan/2011 = ET cancelled OHSS
    FET #1 & #2 - March/2011 & June/2011 = Chemical Preg.
    IVF w/ Half ICSI #2 New RE - May/2012 = BFN!
    May '12 - Sep '13 - Took A Break
    Dec '13 IVF w/ Half ICSI #3!!!!! Switched RE
    Protocol - Lupron trigger/Follistim/Ganirelix/Estrace/Vivelle/Crinone
    12/27 - BFP! TWINS! EDD 9/3/14 ...Team PURPLE!
    6/27/14 - Emergency C/S @ 30w2d - Baby A 2lb 14oz, Baby B 2lb 11 oz
    ALL WELCOME :)
  • I have no advice but sending you t & p. 
    Confirmed Pregnancy 9/18/2010 M/C 10/27/2010 BLIGHTED OVUM 10/2011 - HSG 2 blocked tubes 11/4/2011 - Lap Surgery - Extensive tubal disease (tubes opened) 1/3/12 - Repeat HSG (L tube open, R tube blocked) 1/15/12 - R tube removed Started Stim Injections 2/17/12 Follistim 300iu and Low Dose HCG 10 units Trigger - 2/25/12 ER 2/27/12 ET - 5 dt - 3/3/12 1 blast transferred 9 frosties BETA #1 - 626 :) Beta #2 - 2470 :) Beta #3 - 5470 3/29/12 - 6wks 3 days - no yolk sac, embie, or hb :( Blighted Ovum 8/3/12 - FET #1 1 flickering blast transferred 8/9/12 - POAS + 8/15/12 - Beta #1 1400 Beta #2 3200 8/20/12 - U/S 5 wks 1 day Yolk Sac seen 8/28/12 - 6wks 2 days - Heartbeat 116 9/4/12 - 7wks 3 days - HB 136 YAY! TEAM BLUE! Alex was born 4/15/13 5:09pm 6lb 10oz 20in!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    LSN8308
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"