3rd Trimester

Baby Measuring Small in Third Trimester..Anyone else?

Hi, new to the group! I'm 20, FTM with husband, 25. I am 33 weeks and was in ER last week for some serious chest pains/fainting episode and they did an ultrasound to check on our little boy. Told us he was measuring very small, and that I needed to get checked out by my OB. Went in for a growth scan on Wednesday, and he's only in the 10th percentile. Have to go back in 2 weeks for another, and they said we will discuss options then. I'll be almost 36 weeks by then, so they didn't seem too concerned. They said if he were in the 9th percentile that it would be a big issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Does 1% really make that big of a difference? They didn't seem majorly concerned, but now I need to be on the lookout, kick counting, etc. I'm terrified that something is wrong with little one! Any advice, experiences would be helpful! Thanks :)

Re: Baby Measuring Small in Third Trimester..Anyone else?

• I can let you know what's gone on with me over the last two weeks, and hopefully that'll make you feel a little better (a lot can change).

I've been dealing with HG throughout the pregnancy. Due to a history of pre-term labor and third-trimester elevated blood pressure (thankfully avoided so far this pregnancy) they did a routine ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a cord that wasn't functioning and a baby that was about 2 weeks behind in growth (between 10th and 15th percentile).

1 week later another ultrasound showed that the cord was functioning normally again, but my amniotic fluid was below the 2.5th percentile. I was told to prepare for induction, and to come back 48 hours later for one more check.

The next ultrasound both cord and fluid were good (fluid up to the low normal). I was sent home with an appointment with my OB 5 days later.

At the appointment yesterday my blood pressure was elevated. I was told to head to the hospital for a full growth scan, that the assumption made was that my placenta was no longer producing the amount of nourisement the baby required (causing the growth restriction), and everything else happening was a symptom of that. I was told that I would be induced with in the next 48 hours. The only way an induction wasn't happening was if all of this was met: 1 - blood pressure stabilized, 2 - the baby had grown significantly, 3 - my fluid was in the normal range, 4 - the cord was functioning properly, 5 - the baby was showing no signs of stress. My OB warned me this was unlikly, and that she would be very surprised if everything was on par.

Everything was perfect. Blood pressure stabilized, the baby had put on just over a pound in the last two weeks and was now only 1 week behind in growth, fluid was perfect, cord was perfect. I was sent home with hugs and smiles to finally relax for a few weeks.

This may not have been the normal, but I got lucky.

If you aren't so lucky, I can offer this. My DS was born at 36 weeks. He spent 1 week in the NICU, and while you never want to see your baby sick, he was our first, and DH and I cherish that week. We learned so much from those nurses and are convinced that's part of what makes us such great parents. My DS is now a wild, crazy, hilarious, cuddly, sweet, kind, and very smart 4.5 year old. He was tiny for his age, born between 10th and 15th percentile. He caught up quick, and has been at 50th percentile since about 6 months of age. Try not to worry yourself too much hun, it'll all work itself out in the end, whatever way your pregnancy turns out.
  • I am going through this now.  My baby is IUGR at only the 2nd percentile.  I don't have any words of wisdom because he hasn't been born yet, but it is very scary.  The kick counts, while annoying, do keep me sane.  I get a BPP and NST once a week to look for signs of stress.  They also are delivering the baby at 37 weeks because they think that it's probably an issue with the placenta.  I'm not telling you to scare you, but just that I'm also going through it so you aren't alone even though it feels like it.
  • Loading the player...
  • rainydayluckrainydayluck member
    edited January 2014
    DD started falling off the growth curve around 28 weeks. She ended measuring in the less than 3rd percentile. Usually with IUGR babies, they deliver at 37 weeks since it might be a problem with the placenta.

With this LO I have monthly growth ultrasounds. Baby is measuring in the 18th percentile currently and as long as I stay 10 or above, I won't have to deliver early, so yes, they 1 percent is a cut off between monitoring and potentially delivering at 37 weeks.

DD is just fine, she is just a small kid. She is 3 years old and weighs 25lbs. Good luck!
    Edited to change 36 to 37. 37 is when they usually deliver IUGR babies, but mine was in distress and had to be delivered at 36. She spent 5 days in the NICU for low blood sugar.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Going through the same currently. I'm kinda in the same boat in the sense that I don't know what's going to happen. He was in the 10th percentile a few weeks ago,jumped up to 14th percentile about a week and a half ago. Only issue now is that I'm losing weight. Doctors will probably monitor you pretty close after noticing that. I'm having my 3rd ultrasound in a month on the 23rd.
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
    Jase Eli-3/10/14

• Thank you for your answers everyone! Seems like this issue can be serious, but usually works out for the best. I am being monitored very closely and have to keep an eye on kicks, etc. More than anything I'm going a bit crazy because I've had a series of issues during this pregnancy and I'm at wits end. Going online and reading about IUGR was a horrible idea!! I wish you all luck! Have my next ultrasound in 12 days, so hopefully little man has hit a growth spurt! 
  • Im having this very problem. Im currently 33w2d and a few weeks ago I mentioned to my dr that yes I do feel baby move its not big movements and I was worried she might be small and my dr agreed to a u/s which I had yesterday. Babies head measured 34w6d so a little bigger but I totally expected that because my daughter's head was big and so is my hubbys. So then they measured her belly, actually measured it 3 times and its only measuring 30w6d or 7th percentile and they were very worried about it. They estimated her weight to be 4lb 5oz or 19th percentile, they said she should be closer to 5 lbs. My dr was out of the office this week but his partner referred me to maternal fetal medicine because they said 7th percentile was very worrisome but MFM cant see me until Feb 4 abd this morning I had a NST and everything looked good but her belly is small. I see my dr Monday and I hope he can give me some answers because waiting for my MFM is stressing me out.
    Nicole & David married June 2007
    Savana Katelynn Coy born 02-03-2009
    BFP #2 02/11/2013 ended in loss ectopic pregnancy
    BFP#3 07/01/2013 EDD March 11, 2014! Baby is perfect!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"