Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

7 month old son not eating yet..

My son will be 7 months old the beginning of February, he's not really into eating baby food..He's very healthy pushing almost 20lbs and drinks a lot of bottles. He's still getting up in the middle of the night for a bottle and doesnt go to bed till 11pm or later. I know it could be worse but where theres room for imporovement...? So I try to feed him twice a day, I definetly noticed he prefers sweet potatoes over cereal or fruit. I feel like he's hungry because he eats so many bottles and would be more satisfied if he would eat baby food but I can usually only get a few good bites. I never had this with my daughters so any insight is appreciated!
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 7 month old son not eating yet..

• Options
    You cannot compare any children they have their own eating habit.Let him eat whatever he likes.
    Experiment with new food so that he will develop taste for those food.
  • Options
    Keep trying new foods and new food mixtures. My DS loves a sweet potato, lentil and pea mixture but otherwise we do baby led weaning which he loves!  They get to feed themselves. Which is fun and baby led weaning has lots of other great benefits too.   You may want to consider this approach. We do a combination of baby led weaning and pureed foods but even with pureed/mashed foods, I pre-load the spoon and give it to him and he feeds himself.

for cereal, try mixing applesauce and cinnamon in.  Try getting a little creative and he might be more receptive to the different flavours.  If there are no major histories of allergies in your family I wouldn't even wait the 3-4 days. That'll take forever!! The only thing I will introduce separately is high allergy foods like eggs, strawberries, nut butters, dairy, wheat. Fruit and veg I just give it to him now and not worry about it. Same with meat. If he develops a reaction I'll work backwards. 

Good luck! Don't worry, he'll catch on soon, just let him explore :)  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    He may not be a purees kind of baby.  Have you thought of letting him try finger food?
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    My son is the same way.  He screams at avocado, like literally he takes one look at it and starts screaming I have no idea why he won't even try it.  Just be persistent, it's a new thing and takes some getting used to.
  • Options
    My son was the same way until I noticed him intently watching my husband and I eat our cereal one morning. From then on, he took solids. It was literally like one day he wasn't into it at all and the next day he was. I agree with others, though, he'll be ready when he's ready and all you can do is keep trying. The best advice I ever heard regarding babies is "It works until it doesn't and it doesn't work until it does." :)
  • Options

Keep trying new foods and new food mixtures. My DS loves a sweet potato, lentil and pea mixture but otherwise we do baby led weaning which he loves!  They get to feed themselves. Which is fun and baby led weaning has lots of other great benefits too.   You may want to consider this approach. We do a combination of baby led weaning and pureed foods but even with pureed/mashed foods, I pre-load the spoon and give it to him and he feeds himself.

for cereal, try mixing applesauce and cinnamon in.  Try getting a little creative and he might be more receptive to the different flavours.  If there are no major histories of allergies in your family I wouldn't even wait the 3-4 days. That'll take forever!! The only thing I will introduce separately is high allergy foods like eggs, strawberries, nut butters, dairy, wheat. Fruit and veg I just give it to him now and not worry about it. Same with meat. If he develops a reaction I'll work backwards. 

Good luck! Don't worry, he'll catch on soon, just let him explore :)  
    This is exactly what I've done with my dd. Maybe bc she was my 2nd but I didn't hesitate to give her anything.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Keep trying, don't force it. He still gets most of his nutrients from milk anyways, our doctor said that from 6 to 9 months it's even seen as "training" for solids, she told me nor to worry as long as he doesn't lose weight :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Surprise BFP on 11/02/12 EDD 07/06/13 --> Express wedding on 12/29/2012 --> G was born on 07/15/13
    *Multicultural family raising a multilingual toddler: Spanish, Italian, Dutch and English

• Options
    My first son was over a year old when he started really eating "meals".. I always thought he would starve because he wouldn't ever eat much food.  Even then he would not eat as much as other kids, he was always a very big baby but all he ever wanted to do was nurse.  He is now a toddler and eats everything, but is still somewhat picky. 

My second baby comes along and has been trying to eat my food since 5 months old.  He is now almost 7 months old and tries to eat everything off my plate.  I was surprised by the difference in their attitudes to food.

Kids are different, but they all grow up anyway!  Just offer lots of healthy foods, fruits, veggies and they eventually will eat it all! 
  • Options
    kelslyniekelslynie member
    edited February 2014
    DD was formula fed and we started her at 5 months. She took to it really well. DS is exclusively breastfed and started solids after 6 months, but he doesn't like eating. He hasn't liked anything so far and gets fussy pretty quick. He's just not that interested. Don't be in a hurry. Some babies don't start until 10, 11, even 12 months. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Update, so I started just leaving LO in his high chair with a tablespoon of food on his tray while we eat our dinner.  I give him his special spoon and after awhile, he started eating!  He just needed to explore and feel like he was in charge I guess?  Things are totally turned around, last night he ate the whole tablespoon of avocado on his own and acted like he wanted more.  He's even eating squash and sweet potato and this week I'm going to try green beans.  Just stay patient and persistent and yours will get there too!
  • Options
    Trudibell-- what spoon did you give your LO to use? Curious, because I'd like to try your approach. The Munchkin soft spoons we have seem enormous and she just kind of stabs herself in the gums with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"