Preemies
Options

I'm so paranoid and terrified of her getting sick.

I'm staying in the Hospital while Maizey is in the NICU, she was born last Saturday at 31 weeks. I love to be involved in all of her cares and just recently, like yesterday, they started letting me hold her. I went in this morning and they were bathing her and I held her for a few minutes before her oxygen started to drop. Then all of a sudden I started getting this little tiny pain in my ear. Like my throat doesn't hurt, and the pain is not when I swallow. Then my nose started running a little bit and now I'm a sobbing mess because I'm terrified that I was sick and that she will get sick. I don't necessarily feel sick, I'm just totally paranoid! I want to do all of her cares today but I don't think I'll hold her again. It sucks to feel this way. Anybody else have this problem?

Re: I'm so paranoid and terrified of her getting sick.

• Options
    I absolutely did. I honestly thought I was getting sick 90% of the time I was in the NICU -- I never was/never did. I think it was the INSANE fear of getting sick, combined with the stress and fatigue (I was up every 2 hours to pump overnight). 

Talk to the nurses - see what they think. Being overcautious is fine, but don't let every twinge convince you that you're coming down with something (but, I totally get it if you do). :)
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Oh geesh, I'm still paranoid and he's 6.5 months old. I remember one super anxious moment in the nicu. My hubby bought a little blue teddy bear for our LO and it was delivered with the bouquet he bought me. Anyway I took it down to the nicu and they asked me if I wanted it his bed with him, so I put it in there. Then a few hours later I almost had a panic attack, thinking I had put germs and pollen in his sterile world. I made my hubby go take it out. Then I worried about it for the next fewdays, at least.

I think we've all been there to a point.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
    Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for helping me feel like I'm not alone. I went in her room and had a complete panic attack meltdown. It sounded so dumb when I said it out loud to the nurse and Dr but thru completely understood. They said I was not silly for feeling that way at all. They said I was taking all of the necessary precautions, scrubbing my hands and not letting tons of people near her. I think my hormones are just raging and it finally sunk in that I have a baby in the NICU. She's doing good though, so I'm gonna try to focus on the positives.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"