Trouble TTC

TTC with a DivaCup?

jewels4286jewels4286 member
edited January 2014 in Trouble TTC
Has anyone used a Diva cup or any other menstrual cup to get pregnant?
My husband and I are still trying to get pregnant, June will make 5 years ttc. 2 gynecologist in 2 years later, my current gynecologist is referring us to a fertility clinic in Cincinnati Ohio for IVF, but we are going to attempt this on our own and if still nothing by March, on our way we will be. Any one heard anything good about Ohio??
Question is does anyone know of anyone getting pregnant using the Diva cup?? I just ordered one last week before AF arrived and so far it's been a great investment. If it wasn't for my aunt posting a link on Facebook 2 weeks ago I wouldn't have considered it, but the post talked about tampons causing infertility - for any of those who didn't know this. the only thing I can find online is people using them for ttc, but I can't find anything about anyone getting pregnant by using it. anyone had any luck or know of anyone with fertility problems have any good attempts that have worked? 
Btw  I am 27 and my husband is 30 years old.
Sending Baby Dust!

Re: TTC with a DivaCup?

• The tampon thing I think is an old wives tale, but I've heard of some people use the diva cup b/c they preferred it (less leaking if used right) or for environmental reasons.  

Are you within driving distance of an RE that isn't only an IVF clinic?  What is your diagnosis?  A jump straight to IVF may not be necessary...but then again OBGYNs don't specialize in fertility (or lack there of), so she could have just said IVF, not knowing any better.  The clinic you go to will likely do more tests to see if they can find a cause for your IF and a gameplan to help you.

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
    IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
    IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
    Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
    Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)
  • I have not used it for TTC purposes but I want to say my DivaCup is awesome!!! Yes, multiple exclamation point awesome. I have a heavy flow and was never able to really trust tampons, you know? And I hated pads. The DivaCup doesn't leak if it's in right (bit of a learning curve there), doesn't smell, and you don't have to buy another one next month! *Love*

I think it would be pretty useless for TTC though, it sits fairly low in your vagina. Softcups sit up near the cervix which is why I think people use them. I don't know of any success stories though. If I were you I would look into testing and maybe treatment with an RE. Good luck whatever you decide!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Me:35, blocked left tube, RPL, AMA  DH: 34, low morph & borderline count
    TTC since 8/2012
    1st ever BFP 11/4/13 - CP 11/6 @ 4w4d
    12/2013: 50 mg Clomid + trigger + IUI TI + progesterone = BFN (all follies on left side)
    1/2014: 50 mg Clomid + trigger + IUI #1 + progesterone = BFP!
    Beta #1 14 dpIUI = 51 Beta #2 16 dpIUI = 144 Beta #3 19 dpIUI = 354
    U/S @ 6w1d = empty gestational sac. Heartbroken :( D&C 2/22/14
    ~Mental Health Break~
    6/2014: Clomid + ASA 81 mg + trigger + IUI #2 + progesterone = BFN
    7/2014: Clomid + ASA + trigger + IUI #3 + progesterone = CP
    ~Mental Health Break #2~
    1/2015: IVF #1 - please be our rainbow baby!
  • Loading the player...
  • @calindi, the thing that was hard for me was getting it to open fully after I inserted it. It needs to be open to make a good seal. The instructions say to rotate it to make sure it opens and that didn't really work for me. I just practiced putting it in and taking it out a lot the first AF I used it, and wore a pad or pantyliner as insurance until I got the hang of it. Also if you have a bathroom where you can reach the sink from the toilet, that is very helpful for cleanup. 

I was also really afraid I would, like, drop it and get blood everywhere or have it land in the toilet or something. But it's actually pretty easy and less mess than tampons. I really had to psych myself up to try it but now I would never go back. Feel free to message me if you have more questions!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Me:35, blocked left tube, RPL, AMA  DH: 34, low morph & borderline count
    TTC since 8/2012
    1st ever BFP 11/4/13 - CP 11/6 @ 4w4d
    12/2013: 50 mg Clomid + trigger + IUI TI + progesterone = BFN (all follies on left side)
    1/2014: 50 mg Clomid + trigger + IUI #1 + progesterone = BFP!
    Beta #1 14 dpIUI = 51 Beta #2 16 dpIUI = 144 Beta #3 19 dpIUI = 354
    U/S @ 6w1d = empty gestational sac. Heartbroken :( D&C 2/22/14
    ~Mental Health Break~
    6/2014: Clomid + ASA 81 mg + trigger + IUI #2 + progesterone = BFN
    7/2014: Clomid + ASA + trigger + IUI #3 + progesterone = CP
    ~Mental Health Break #2~
    1/2015: IVF #1 - please be our rainbow baby!
  • *****pregnancy and then loss mentioned******** 

I'm not sure if this is helpful -- but I think it is sort of along the same line of thought: 

This round, I have been actively TTC for 15 months and the one time I got pg during that time (miscarried at 10 weeks) was the cycle where I used my diaphragm (old school, I know) to push all the swimmers up inside me after BD.  I think when people talk about using the diva cup for this, it is a similar idea/technology as a diaphragm would be.   I will say that I have not used a diva cup, I have used Instead cups for AF-- Instead seems way flimsier than my diaphragm and has a lot more space in the catch/holder part. I think that flimsy part seems like it wouldn't really help the swimmers much, it might even slow them down. ?? A diaphragm is much smaller and holds everything right up against the cervix.   I have no idea if there is any truth to this helping, but for me, it was the only time this round (15 months) that I had any luck.  Of course my luck didn't last long since I had a MC.  And, I have no children, so maybe don't listen to me...but, that's my experience with trying with a diaphragm.  I plan to continue to use the diaphragm in this way moving forward, since it didn't seem to hurt.  Oh, and with insurance a diaphragm is probably way cheaper than a diva cup.  Although, you can use a Diva Cup for AF, and a diaphragm is only good for AF if you are barely bleeding (i'd just use a liner at that point) or you have an emergency.  
  • My first gyno was an idiot, so after 9 months of going to him, performing an HSG and taking clomiphene, and then his nurse calling and rudely telling me there's nothing else they can do, a friend of mine suggested her gyno. Transferred to him and he's great along with his staff they've all been very informative, considerate and helpful (everything the previous dr wasn't). Anyways he done a lap on me and found nothing wrong. He also checked my tubes again and still no blockages. Husbands S.A. has always been great, previous dr checked that too. We had 4 IUI's and still S.A. was great every time and he checked my mucus at every IUI and everything was good. I've taken clomiphene and primetime for the last 3 IUI's. There is another gyno in his office and I had him once and he had also suggested going to Ohio and didn't really recommend the RE in their office. The RE is in the same building actually signs off on my husbands S.A.
  • I'm in Ohio too! I'm seeing an RE at IRH in cincy. We've been married 6 years now, never been on bc. I've also been through a few GYN, until this fall I found a new one and was referred to the 'RE. Good luck to you.
    **All welcome**
     Me: 33 Hypothyroid, HBP, Low Vit D Anemic, Stage 2 Adrenal failure. Unexplained Infertility
    DH: 33 Cancer survivor 
    Married Dec. 2007
    10/2013 Clomid, bfn
    10/2013 HSG, all clear
    11/2013 Clomid, bfn. Cyst burst.
    IUI #1 - 12/31/2013  Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #2 - 1/31/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #3 - 2/22/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #4 - 3/24/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN
    IVF Summer 2014 -Cancelled!
    Natural BFP 5/28! Beta: 545.
    1st ultrasound 6/18 - one bean!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"