Adoption
Options

Anyone with any experience with an older child adoption?

Hi,
Wondering if anyone had adopted an older child through the foster care system, and what the experience was like. How long was the wait for a placement? Are there things you'd do differently if you had to go through the process again? I'm at the beginning of the process, and starting to fill out all the paperwork.
Road to motherhood started Jan 2014 Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Re: Anyone with any experience with an older child adoption?

• Options
    I adopted two older children, but not through foster care. While I don't have specific answers to your questions about the process, I am always happy to answer questions about older child adoption in general.
  • Options
    I also adopted two older children, but not through the system. Congratulations on beginning the process!

Mother of two wonderful boys! Blessed through adoption.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We have been waiting to be matched with an older child for almost 5 years. We have to be fairly picky because we do already have a DS in our home. But, I never in a zillion years thought it would take so long. Our county feels very strongly about putting families back together, so very few children are up for adoption. We have expressed interest on a few from other counties and/or states, but still haven't been matched. I think the amount of time it will take depends on how open you can be with what you can adopt. The more open you are, the less time it will take you.

BabyFruit Ticker

ttc #2 since 2004 Me (35): Stage 3 Endo, DH (34): High DNA Frag

IVF/ICSI #2: April 2014: BFP!!!!!!

ET of 2 great quality embryos. + BFP on 9dp5dt. Beta #1 (10dp5dt): 257, Beta #2 (14dp5dt): 1561,

Beta #3 (21dp5d5): 8,172. Wow. It seems this is actually working. Shocked beyond belief.

1st u/s @6w5d: Baby A hb 124, Baby B hb 127 (Both measuring perfectly!)

Lost baby A. Praying that baby B stays healthy. Baby B hb 175 at 11 weeks

It's a GIRL!!!

imageimageimage

My Blog

• Options
    How old? We currently have a 3 & 5 year old from the foster care system. We got them the same day we got our license. It has been rough but rewarding! We are just 5 days in....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm open to bringing up to age 15 into my home. Where I am the license 0-5 or 6-20, or 0-20, so most likely I will get licensed for 0-20. I've been to one orientation, and will be going to another on Feb 8th, handing in my application, and hopefully starting the classes soon after. Hows it going so far @fajita814
    Road to motherhood started Jan 2014 Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
  • Options
    I used to work in foster care.  The wait for a placement depends on several factors.  One of which is what restrictions are placed on you home, either by you or by the agency.  Another is just the volume of referrals the agency gets and the number of licensed homes they have.  I have been in the process of signing a family's license to approve their home while our placement person was sitting in their driveway with a kid waiting for me to give him the go ahead to knock on the door.  I have also seen people go over a year and never get a placement.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"