Caribbean Babies

So..my friend is having a Pay For Homebirth shower...

Okay, so my very good friend is due in June. I love her to death. She's one of the smartest people I know, she's very level-headed, blahblahblah.

She wants a home birth, which is awesome. It is going to cost $4,000 and of course insurance doesn't cover this. It's not an amount they can come up with in 5 months.

So apparently our other friend is going to throw her a 'shower' - but instead of gifts, it's going to ask for money to pay for her homebirth.

What the what?!

She asked me about this last month and I told her you can't have a shower and ask for money. You just CANT. But she says she's asked 'everyone' and they are 'kosher' about it, and since people ask for honeymoon money nowadays, it's okay.

Can I have a shower and ask for friends to help pay my hospital bill??

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: So..my friend is having a Pay For Homebirth shower...

• I mean, she has a lot of crunchy parent friends, and I think they are totally down with it. Instead of material items, you get help from friends/family for your birth experience.

I understand thats what she wants. I would be down with a homebirth too. It upsets me that it costs so much to have YOUR child birthed in YOUR own home with YOUR own body.

But this is weird. I would not able to have a shower thrown for me and ask people to pay my medical bills.

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• I mean, she has a lot of crunchy parent friends, and I think they are totally down with it. Instead of material items, you get help from friends/family for your birth experience.

I understand thats what she wants. I would be down with a homebirth too. It upsets me that it costs so much to have YOUR child birthed in YOUR own home with YOUR own body.

But this is weird. I would not able to have a shower thrown for me and ask people to pay my medical bills.

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • Weird. So, so weird.

And I wouldn't go.

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

• Umm, no.  Just no.

BFP #1 : 3/20/13 | EDD: 12/1/13 | MC: 4/15/13 

BFP #2: 1/9/14 | EDD: 9/21/14  

Welcomed our rainbow bear on 8/31/14

My Chart | All are Welcome

• Elbug said:
    So does she also expect to have a regular baby shower for baby stuff?  If so thats dumb.  If this is going to be her only "shower" then maybe thats ok.... I have a $4000 deductible so maybe I should have a pay my deductible shower.

This I guess is her shower, IDK how this is being worded in the invites though!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• VanellopeVanellope member
    edited January 2014
    tealowl said:

I mean, she has a lot of crunchy parent friends, and I think they are totally down with it. Instead of material items, you get help from friends/family for your birth experience.

The cost isn't just because. It's what a midwife charges normally, the tub, her assistance the equipment she's required to have etc. Eta: I don't like the idea because I believe it falls in the area of you wanted a baby you should have planned accordingly.
    imageimage
    Emery January 1, 2010
    Alayna December 15, 2011
    Angel baby #1 December 1, 2013 4wks 2 days
    Angel baby #2 February 2, 2014 8 wks
    TTC on Hold
  • I want to support her because I love her very much. I will go to the party, I just can't not go.

But I could get her something instead of cash towards her birth, right? Like some sort of basket of essentials for herself? I don't know...

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• That is so weird.  

TTC Since July 2012
    BFP #1 11/07/12   M/C 12/11/12
    BFP #2 2/23/13    M/C 03/6/13
                       BFP #3 9/2/13  EDD 05/17/14                     
    Amy Elaine Born May 2!

• tealowl said:

I want to support her because I love her very much. I will go to the party, I just can't not go.

But I could get her something instead of cash towards her birth, right? Like some sort of basket of essentials for herself? I don't know...

Well that's what I was wondering. What if you want to take a gift instead of money? Is that frowned upon? I think that's a tacky shower idea and agree with PPs - should have planned ahead. It's her responsibility, not her friends'.
  • She should totes just go start a gofundme page!

If she was a close friend I would probably go, give her the money I would've given for a shower, and side eye her privately.
    imageimageimage

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers">AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
    Formerly dlsexton
    BFP #1 Dec 2010 ~ Blighted Ovum Jan 2011 @ 11wks D&C Jan '11 & Mar '11
    BFP #2 July 2011 ~ Miss Amelia born 3/30/12 @ 41 weeks!
    BFP #3 July 2013 ~ M/C Aug 2013 @ 5.5 weeks
    BFP #4 Oct 2013 ~ Miss Lydia born 6/3/14 @ 36 weeks!

• I guess I'm not alone in thinking that $4,000 is not the much to come up with when having a baby.  We always put aside $3,000, which is our OOP max, and that's just for medical bills.  That doesn't include other baby items.

I don't know what I would do...it's so tacky.  I also hate those honeymoon registries too.

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• Maybe the baby shower board should weigh in.... (I kid, I kid).

I double dog dare you to ask the baby shower board.
    imageimageimage

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers">AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
    Formerly dlsexton
    BFP #1 Dec 2010 ~ Blighted Ovum Jan 2011 @ 11wks D&C Jan '11 & Mar '11
    BFP #2 July 2011 ~ Miss Amelia born 3/30/12 @ 41 weeks!
    BFP #3 July 2013 ~ M/C Aug 2013 @ 5.5 weeks
    BFP #4 Oct 2013 ~ Miss Lydia born 6/3/14 @ 36 weeks!

• Valancyy said:

I guess I'm not alone in thinking that $4,000 is not the much to come up with when having a baby.  We always put aside $3,000, which is our OOP max, and that's just for medical bills.  That doesn't include other baby items.

I don't know what I would do...it's so tacky.  I also hate those honeymoon registries too.

What??? This is a thing?
  • Lurking.... But what happens if she has complications and has to go to the hospital? Then all of her fundraising efforts go to shit AND she doesn't have anything you usually get at showers to help prepare for baby...
  • dlsexton said:
    Maybe the baby shower board should weigh in.... (I kid, I kid).
    I double dog dare you to ask the baby shower board.
    I'm terrified to ask them!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Elbug said:
    tealowl said:

I want to support her because I love her very much. I will go to the party, I just can't not go.

You could get her some homebirth supplies.  Like a placenta bowl, everyone needs a placenta bowl to put that beast in ;)  

I agree, she needed to figure out how to pay for this stuff on her own but if she's a close friend it would be more offensive to ignore her completely I guess.  You can get an assortment of things that people need for HBs and seriously put it all in a large bowl (which she really could use for her placenta).  Maybe also get her the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, some lavender essential oil, nice mild smelling candles, something to look at when the going gets tough to show her "you can do this" or that you support her in her birth journey at home and maybe throw in a Fleet's enema and fish tank net for scooping floaters in the birth tub just to be funny.  You know?  Stuff like that.  

This is what I need to do! Also, I need to Google Fleet's enema because I have no idea what that is. Does it go in her butt?

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• janda426 said:
    Lurking.... But what happens if she has complications and has to go to the hospital? Then all of her fundraising efforts go to shit AND she doesn't have anything you usually get at showers to help prepare for baby...

I asked her about that, and she doesn't seem worried about it. But of course, a hospital bill wouldn't too horrible if you got your $4,000 homebirth paid for.

Also, HI JANDA!!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"