March 2013 Moms

Nail Clipping Woes - Need Advice

I am having the hardest time keeping up with LOs nails. Her nails are so thin and sharp, and it's really turning into an issue because she's stronger and moving her hands more so lately she's been giving herself nasty scratches on her nose, forehead, and in her ears.

I use a baby nail clipper and try to get as much as I can, but even after i cut them back as much as i can comfortably see she still scratches herself. There always seems to be a little sharp corner from clipping that I don't get. And then sometimes even when I rub my finger around each of her nails to check for any sharp edges, she still wakes up with a scratch.

I had tried using Piyo Piyo nail scissors, and while those did let me get a farther under the nail they caused more scratches because the free form scissor cutting left way too many uneven edges. Maybe there's a trick to those that I dont know about? I tried filing a few times but didnt really like it or give it a thorough try. What works good for you?
Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Nail Clipping Woes - Need Advice

• Have you ever tried cutting her nails while she's asleep? That's what we do most of the time and sometimes we have to file them to take the razor edge off lol. He will let us do it while awake it's just easier when he's asleep to file them.
  • 3 words: GLASS NAIL FILE! 

Best invention for babies nails! I have never used nail clippers and do not plan to.  Get one!
  • Loading the player...
  • I use reg nail clippers w DS. Sometimes I wait until he's asleep and I cut then as low as possible. I feel like as soon as I clip them they grow back. It's insane. Wish my nails grew like that lol
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • @am7rice me too!  I clip DD's nails every Sunday, but could probably do it more often if I could remember. 

I also do it while she's asleep.  I usually do them all once, and then go back and get all those sharp corners I left behind the first time. I use baby clippers - I did the file for the first couple months, but now that just takes longer and seems more likely to wake her up. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • I use baby nail clippers.  I clip his nails weekly.  My DS wakes up if I try to clip them when he is asleep so I have to struggle with him to clip them while he is awake.  Funny enough I just did it tonight and he was throwing a hysterical fit but at least they are now all clipped.  I have found the best way is to pull back the skin from the nail and clip that.  I also try to make sure I clip a crescent moon shape to avoid the jagged edges. 

;

• Regular nail clippers.
  • One trick that works for us is clipping DS's nails while he's drinking. He is distracted by the food and usually we can get it done. He sleeps with his hands tucked in usually and he wakes up over the tiniest thing. We use baby or regular nail clippers.
  • One of my friends has an electric file, like a sander almost. I think it's this one: Zoli . She says it's super easy to use and her baby doesn't mind it at all. I'm tempted to try it, LO rarely sleeps in my arms anymore so I have a hard time keeping his talons trimmed.
  • I use baby ones that were a gift. For your problem, I'd suggest trying filing the sharp edges after clipping.

• Wow, thanks ladies! These are some really great suggestions.

I prefer to cut them when shes asleep but I work and she goes to daycare so the only time I can catch her sleeping outside of her crib is the weekend. And even then im not always able to get through them all while shes asleep. Sometimes it cant wait and i have to try during the week while she's awake. I used to be able to clip while she was nursing but now she gets easily distracted and tries to grab the clippers, or gets pissed off that I'm disturbing her meal :)

I definitely give up when she's fussy or starts snatching her hand away bc I don't want to hurt her.

I'll give it a try with trying the other types of clippers suggested and also filing. The glass file also sounds cool and I'll try that too. And having someone else try to distract her. Thanks and glad to know I'm not the only one struggling :)

• I guess I'm the only heathen that bites them. DD wakes with a start when I've tried to use clippers while she's sleeping, and wiggles too much while she's awake.
  • I guess I'm the only heathen that bites them. DD wakes with a start when I've tried to use clippers while she's sleeping, and wiggles too much while she's awake.

Lol. I tried biting when she was a newborn and again like a month ago, and I could just never get it to work. I actually felt a little dumb like how can I not figure this out? Maybe it's because I've never bitten my own nails.

• rm2013 said:
    I guess I'm the only heathen that bites them. DD wakes with a start when I've tried to use clippers while she's sleeping, and wiggles too much while she's awake.
    Lol. I tried biting when she was a newborn and again like a month ago, and I could just never get it to work. I actually felt a little dumb like how can I not figure this out? Maybe it's because I've never bitten my own nails.
    I bite her nails when one or 2 is longer then the rest.  If most of her nails don't need to be cut i will bite the couple that do.  OTherwise, I sit her on the counter and stand behind her and give her something to hold in one hand.  I might do it when she is asleep or falling asleep because she doesn't put up a fight.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I bite them too. I cut them with a clipper sometimes, but bite them most often because I can get the edges and run them across my lip to see if they are sharp.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"